Connect to any HDMI screen?

Sorry for the obvious question!
Currently I don’t have much knowledge or experience with video formats or connections so I wanted to double check.
I am planning on picking up a cheap HDMI monitor to be able to view my ETC on as my initial idea of using it with my Apple monitor (with an HDMI to DVI cable) doesn’t work.
Am I able to use any HDMI screen with it?
The ones I have been looking at have a resolution of 1920X1080.
In another thread on here @oweno mentions that "the HDMI output is limited to 720p60 for software reasons"
Does this mean that I have to get a HDMI monitor that I can set to that resolution for it to work?
Or it will it just work if I connect it with the HDMI monitor being set at 1920X1080?

Sorry once again for what are probably obvious questions but the manual only mentions
"Connect the HDMI Out port to a powered-up HDMI® monitor."

We’ve heard about some trouble with HDMI to DVI adapters, so we suggest native HDMI monitor or projector. Any monitor that handles 1920x1080 should also be capable of 720. This is a pretty affordable one:

Ok thanks for the clarification!

Allright I took the plunge and bought the ETC. It arrived today with a HDMI to VGA adapter. But it is not working. I wanted to connect it to an old tv with a VGA input. But it is not connecting. I read this topic too late apparently. Or is there anyone who’s got it working. Cause I wanted to use this old TV because of the odd colors it has (and it looks retro :wink: ) I know it will work on an HDMI monitor or TV, didn’t tried it just now because I don’t have one, but I want the old tv…

Let me know!

Hey @YloopZ

I just got my Organelle today and I am having the same issue here. I am trying to connect the Organelle to an older display, that only has VGA input. I am using a HDMI > VGA adapter, but Organelle doesn’t recognise the display. But as soon as I connect Organelle to a HDMI display without the HDMI > VGA adapter it works straight away. But I could only use that display for a quick test, so it would be really nice to be able to use the HDMI > VGA set up. I might have to add that this is one of the cheaper HDMI > VGA converters, that doesnt need power. There are some more expensive ones that needs power too.

I have actually use the same display and same HDMI > VGA cable for my Pi3 and it works fine. So I think it should be possible to get this working in some way.

@oweno, have you tested HDMI > VGA cables for the Organelle?