Connecting with WiFi using organelle.localhost instead of IP

This is handy if you are connecting to the Organelle using WiFi. Instead of having to connect using ip (192.168.blahblah), you can follow these steps so the Organelle shows up on the network as organelle.localhost.

These instructions taken from here

Install the Avahi services daemon and the Multicast DNS resolver.

pacman -S avahi nss-mdns 

edit /etc/nsswitch.conf This file tells the C library how to obtain name-service information.

Change the line:

hosts: files dns myhostname

to

hosts: files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns myhostname

Start the Avahi service manually since we’re already booted. look for errors)

systemctl start avahi-daemon 

enable avahi-daemon Enables the Avahi service on boot.

systemctl 

@thetechnobear, might want to include this in the OS update too! especially good for the web based file manager I’ve been playing with…

1 Like

interesting…
I was able to do this already with the way I setup wifi, using netctl (it doesn’t use avahi-daemon)

what I don’t get is the dns back to the host.
i.e i can ping organelle from the mac using ‘organelle’ , but I cant ping my mac (except via ip) from the organelle

do you get dns in both directions? which would be useful.

EDIT:
also with the OS update, you need to decide if there is wifi enabled or not?
the issue is pacman will only work with a network, if you want to do via files, we will have to include the package in the zip file (and presumably in the ‘dependancy order’ if dependancies are required)
… this is going to be a bit difficult to do, without using a clean image of organelle to test against.
(since, its possible ive already installed/upgraded dependent libraries)

I think avahi-daemon gives you both directions, but I didn’t try yet. The other thing it handles is collisions, so if you have 2 Organelles on same network, they will become organelle.local and organelle-2.local automatically. Does netctl method handle this kind of situation?

Yeah, we’ll have to decide about package updates on Organelle in OS update. I think it is better to assume no network, so packages will have to be included with the files. This would be a pain if there were many dependancies involved, but most simple things I’ve been working on lately don’t really have many dependancies.

Clean factory Organelle images are always available here to test with:

http://thepeacetreaty.org/organelle/diskimages/

and you can use dd or etcher to burn them. (sorry if I am repeating myself, can’t remember who I’ve shared this with!)

1 Like

Yeah, I think your right about the network - but does make it more difficult to package - need to have a look at what arch linux provides for ‘offline’ support.

Images, yeah I know , I’m actually happy creating images using DD, but yeah lots of end user tools out there ( thanks raspberry PI ;))

What I really need to do is to order a few more SD cards, I need some spares for this kind of thing.