Convert Patch

So, I’ve been looking into PD for a little while now. And I ran across this really neat sounding patch. Or at least, neat sounding description wise.
I was wondering if anyone could assist me in transferring this to be Organelle compatible.
Or if someone could tell me if it’s even possible, I would greatly appreciate it! I just want to modify it for input use. If I’m not mistaken the command would be [r~ inL] and [r~ inR]. Just not sure where to put it.Teclado Armonizador.pd (60.0 KB)
I could easily be wrong though. As I said, I’m still learning.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

when you say you want to add input to it, what precisely do you want to achieve?

do you want to add audio input, that will have a pitch detection, then influence it?

if so, then the basics are, using [r ~inL]-> [sigmund~]-> pitch input
sigmund will attempt to find the pitch for you…

so i had a quick look at the patch, unfortunately , like many PD patches, its a complete mess… a great example of ‘write only code’, where some creates something, that even they will have great difficulty reading later :wink:

also the patch is (on windows pure data 48) throwing lots of stack overflow errors in the console which is not a good sign.

basically, there are two approaches to do what you want.

hack it

you could probably ‘hack’ it, by taking the sigmund into the frequency control at the top… this might work.

but if it doesn’t work your going to have to go to step 2 to figure out why!

do it properly

first you would need to tidy up the mess, lay it out so you can actually see whats going on, and whats doing what… get some basic idea of what its doing.
(both top patch, and sub patches)

most of the patch is pure nothing, including loads of sub patches which just pass the inlet to the outlet… for no apparent reason
(the only thing i can guess is this might have been ripped of from something else, and the patcher has removed functionality?)
… as part of clearing it up, id carefully remove these.

most of the real functionality is actually happening at the bottom, in the two long long named subpatches.

these have a lot of parameters, which in the current mess cannot be seen clearly, but if you’ve cleaned it up, you will be able to see what these are now.
and so can move these to be controllable by the Organelle display/knobs.

none of this is a particularly difficult task, but quite time consuming, as the ‘clean up’ process needs to be carefully done, so it doesn’t break anything.
… ive not listened to the patch, so i cant decide if the effort is worth it or not.

honestly, in my short while looking at PD patches, I can say this is pretty common, many patches are thrown together, and become a spaghetti mess - rather than be structured carefully, so can take a bit of effort to figure out.

in these cases you have 2 choices
a) tidy them up, and ‘make them your own’… so that they can be taken forward
b) take the idea, as inspiration, and implement them yourself.
(you can even take implementation ideas for the original patch)

often the reality is that (b) is less work, and has the real advantage, that at the end of it, you really know how it works…

anyway, hope this helps some…

Mark

(p.s. the above is my perspective , which I recognised is a bit skewed/biased due to my development background… i do recognise some are happy with a quick an dirty hack as long as it works :wink: )

I appreciate the help! I’ll probably try a quick hack. And if I like the sound of it. Clean it up and upload it for others to customize and mess with it.

So [r ~inL]-> [sigmund~] is the only command I’ll need to set up for this?

you’ll only know when you try it, but hopefully that’s the basis of whats needed.
look at the help patch for sigmund~ to see how to use it.

Will do! Thank again Mark!