M-Audio Hammer 88 USB Keyboard w/ Organelle

Hey all,

I recently purchased the new M-Audio Hammer 88 USB keyboard controller, and was hoping I could also pair it up with my Organelle.

However, my concern is powering the Hammer 88. Typically, it would connect right to a computer using a USB chord and pull power from that source. I am worried that if I plug my keyboard into my Organelle, I might end up damaging the electrical components. M-Audio doesn’t explicitly state the power requirements for the Hammer 88, but sweetwater recommends a 9VDC 0.8A power supply if you don’t the Hammer 88 with a computer.

The organelle PSU is 9VDC 1.0A, so I don’t know if it would be able to power both the organelle and the Hammer 88.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I can easily go out and buy a power source that can externally power the Hammer 88, but how can I guarantee that it still won’t damage the organelle when connected to both the organelle and the additional PSU?

If it doesn’t damage your computer it shouldn’t damage your Organelle, which is also a computer.
If they say the keyboard can be powered by a USB port, well - Organelle has one, so you’ll be fine :slight_smile:

My concern is that the amount of power being supplied to the organelle is a fraction of what is supplied and distributed by a computer. If both the organelle and Hammer 88 need more than 1A of power, it’s gonna fry something, and (from my limited experience w/ guitar pedals) it will probably be the Hammer 88.

Ok, buy a power supply for your peace of mind then. These are the details on another M-Audio controller I regularly use via usb with the organelle without issue:

"If you are using your Axiom with a computer via its USB port, there is no need for an external power supply. Your Axiom will draw its power from the computer. However, if you are intending to use your Axiom without connecting to a computer’s USB port, then you will need to use an external power supply. No power supply is included in the box, so please select one that meets the following requirements:

• 12V DC
  • 250mA – 300mA
  • Center positive "

You could email critter and guitari and ask them i guess.

Yeah,

In the FAQ for the Hammer 88 it states the following:

Do I need a power supply for the Hammer 88?

No, a power supply is not necessary. The Hammer 88 is powered through the USB connection with your computer.

An optional 9V DC, 800mA, center positive power supply can be used to power the keyboard when using without a computer.

I think the thing that bothers me most about this is that they don’t explicitly give the name of a 3rd party source.

Standard usb connections are only 5v, 0.5A.
I honestly believe it will be fine, not to mention very fun! But you should support email M-Audio/C&G because you seem like you might be worrying about it if you dont.

1 Like

If worrying is the name of the game, I’m the Olympic champ.

I’ll take your advice and contact them! Thanks for all the help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

the USB protocol includes power managements, in particular a device requests a certain amount of mA which the host can reject.
this is why some USB devices can go into low power modes… if the host cannot supply the requested current. (e.g. by turning LEDS off)
the host needs this protection since it is concerned about the sum of power requests from all devices, as it often has many ports.

DC power inlets on devices generally override the USB connection, i.e. it tells the host it needs no power.

1 Like

Afternoon Waitkus,

Curious on an update how you made out with controlling Hammer 88 with Organelle? I have a Hammer 88 on the way and was hoping to use the two the same way.

Thanks