Mec Kontrol with Brds and eBrds

yeah, you will need to match voice count and linnstrument channels… this could be ‘worked’ around in eBrds.
(I might look at this later, when I start creating more expressive patches, so need the basics more ‘solid’)

the 4th note being different, trying changing all the parameters on the patch.
I remember seeing an issue where it seemed like some voices weren’t initialised correctly on startup, this meant that one of the voices had a different value to the others (e.g. cutoff was higher/lower)

I thought id fixed it… but perhaps its still happening in some cases?!
(I think its down to the timing of events between parts of the patch when its started… im going to probably change this a bit)
another useful test for me/you… is does loading a preset clear the problem?

whats suppose to happen is the default preset is loaded, by default :slight_smile: , at startup … so you can save this preset if you want to change the default patch, or of course save new presets… which btw, you can rename by editing the ‘local rack json’ file.

Hi. Quick question for @thetechnobear here.

Also apologies because I may leave a copy of this message on one of two other channels as I’m not sure where might be the best places to ask.

As an owner of an Eigenharp Pico and an Organelle I am keen to get a set up like this working. Am I correct that in order to do so I need to supply power directly to the organelle but also, separately, power to the Pico via a powered USB hub. All advice welcome.

yes, from memory, I used a powered hub - as the pico does draw quite a lot of current.
(also iirc the kernel on the organelle seems to need it be connected to hub rather than directly - ive had similar issues with kernel on the rPI, depending on kernel release!)

Id need to double check this, but in the above video, you can see a grey usb cable on the 2nd organelle, and that very much looks like my small usb hub cable, which ive placed out of shot to reduce the ‘clutter’ a little bit.
(the first organelle has the push2 and pyramid connected)

That all makes sense. I can well imagine that the Pico needs a lot of power. I’m hoping that I can find a compact hub with a charging port and (with a voltage converting lead for the Organelle) get the whole arrangement running off one PSU.

And many thanks for all your work. Without which …

yeah, what you could do is power all of it off a usb powerbank, and get a couple of converters.
(see other topics on powering organelle from usb)

the only problem ive had with this is the usb hubs often don’t have the standard 2.1mm dc input, or aren’t 9v… so id need to find a small usb hub, that’s got a 9v input with 2.1mm dc input.
(probably 5v would work too, as there are usb -> 5v dc cables available)

at some point, I will also do a test with the pico on my ‘Linux upgrade’ image, that’s using a newer kernel image, so it may be that will work directly IF its now a power issue.

its a pain really, its a lovely compact setup, and then suddenly you find you need these ‘dongles’ :slight_smile:

btw: also you can try to test with a unpowered hub see if that works, I don think it does, but worth a try.
I didn’t really test this thoroughly, rather found a combination that worked with what I had available, and just went with it

Cheers. I will do some tests. But can easily believe that it will not work with an unpowered hub.

Powered hub worked as hoped. Hurrah. Now to try and find the smallest powered hub (and significantly the smallest PSU) in existence.

Is Braids the only Organelle patch you have modified for OSC?

One thing - the first 16 or 17 models on the OSC Braids seem just to play a single high pitched note for each key press - a bug?

let me know what you find :slight_smile:

did you try without power? as the psu is more the pain, than the hub i think.

hmm, I think so, I did a few others ‘on the fly’ as its not that difficult, I also did braids for MPE.
really you could compare either to the original braids patch and use the same approach for any polyphonic patch.

no not a bug, rather a ‘work in progress’
off the top of head… these are non-pitched oscillators (for percussion or something like that) , and there was some other element i needed to add to make them useful - I’ll need to dig thru the code again, when I get back to braids and see what it was precisely :wink:

In my limited tests, the unpowered hub did not work. But if you set things up as I suggested above, you’ll only need one PSU (or external power source), which at least limits the dongle-fication of the system.

As for the pitch/model oddities - I don’t think those are the percussion voices. The percussion voice models that behave oddly are, I believe, 33, 34 and 36. The problem I am referring to affects voice models 2 thru 12. The sound is tuned but there’s no pitch change getting through. Also the Texture and Color knobs don’t do anything. All three of your Braids patches do it, but in my memory your original Braids did not (though it did have the above problem with the percussion models).

Anyway the patch is excellent as it stands, but the missing models would be great to have sometime.

If I have a moment I will take your suggestion and see if I can figure out what’s added to the original Braids patch. Perhaps I can actually get my hands dirty and learn some Pd!

I can attest to the fact that not all USB hubs are born equal. Just took delivery of one - mainly because it was very very very small - did not work at all in the setup I had working happily with my bigger powered hub.

This one draws its power from a micro usb cable hung off a phone/iPad charger and I think the main problem is there’s not enough juice to go round.

So this works. One PSU, one modestly sized hub with a charging port, and voltage converter lead to power the Organelle.

1 Like

Hello,
Just bought an Organelle and want to pair it with my Pico.
To make sure I understand: is there a way I can launch MEC from the Organelle itself or do I need to plug a monitor + keyboard to do so ? If that’s the case, is SSH possible when a wifi dongle is plugged ?

Ahhh it’s in the Extras menu. Awesome !!!

1 Like

My Pico MEC setup which I had running happily longer works. I have updated to the latest MEC app and cannot for the life of me see what has changed. Any advice from anyone?

sorry, my mistake I forgot to include the pico files in the latest MEC
(Im going to release the next version of the beta in a few days, and will make sure its back then !)

just download this file unzip it, and drop the contents into /System/MEC on your organelle

you will then find the configs picoosc and picomidi … I think you were probably using picoosc before?

Thank you. The download added picoaxo and picomidi but not picoosc.

Which of the first two is the one to use?

sorry this is the one you need.

Cheers. In fact I just I grabbed picoosc.json from GitHub.

Just been testing, everything works fine with Braids_osc that you created some time ago (as before) which is grand, but does not work with Orac 2.0

Was I wrong in thinking that I could use the Pico directly with Orac 2.0?

You’ll need to use picopd for that, but I don’t have time to dig into this or support it at the moment.