Modules for the Orac

I was thinking. With @thetechnobear’s work on and the release of Orac. More and more people will likely be making patches to work with that. So I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we can post all of them.
Happy patching!

6 Likes

This is a kinda vinyl sim FX module.
F-DUST.zip (5.1 KB)

This is a kick / bass drum module. This one may remove waveshape and add distortion instead in v2
S-TITAN.zip (5.4 KB)

I think in the future I will release modules on patch storage as packs of modules.

5 Likes

First, I’m so pumped you made a Dust module.
Second, I really like that idea and patchstorage. I only have one patch up. But It’s a really easy to navigate one stop shop kinda place for patches.

2 Likes

reposted from the other thread

ok couple of modules:

U-notefilter

simple midi note probability filter - one parameter which sets the what percentage of notes gets through

S-stringmachine

I’m not sure why I made this - but kind of wanted something with longer note sounds

detune - detunes the oscillator’s from each other (give or take)
Cutoff - I pinched the moog filter from the C&G analog patches
Envelope - alters attack/release simultaneously - basically a symmetrical attack/release envelope
transpose - like all the other patches

I too am planning on shoving all this in a git repo and on patch storage and possibly even some documentation but not just now

4 Likes

not played with DUST yet but TITAN is ace - nice one

I notice you have a ‘saturation’ patch - what license are these under? (I need a saturation function for another module I’m working on and always have an eye to ‘borrow’ other good functionality :slight_smile: )

Glad you like it :slight_smile: I’m really excited about that note-filter. It will fit really well with some of the generative sequencers I am planning.

The saturation~ patch is just a tahn expr~. I got the equation (it’s really only a tahn function) from someone else with no license so I wouldn’t bother too much :stuck_out_tongue:

cool on the saturation

The note filter is super basic right now - I have plans to make a more sophisticated one. Be interested to see what you make as well

Keep an eye out for a video in the Organelle music thread - you might recognise one of the sounds :wink:

1 Like

Hoping to have the vocoder module done by Tuesday!

Are these for Orac? Noticed they’re zip not zop

1 Like

good question…
a developers note: use the deploy.sh I shipped with the replacement s-czz, and the accompanying ‘installation notes’ , I believe this is the simplest for end-users, and so what we should standardise on, so that users don’t get confused about the installation process = less support for us :wink:

What are the chances someone could port the monome apps into Orac modules?

3 Likes

ok run into an interesting issue

I’m making a clone of a monome patch using my APC mini (well reimplementation based on watching a video not sure how like the original patch it actually is)

I’m using midi to talk to the APC - both in and out

I’m just adding in note outs and…

well it turns out PDs implementation of midi devices is kind of poor - I don’t seem to be able to select which device to put midi out on (even on my desktop version - it lets me add multiple devices but I can’t see how to control where the midi goes)

basically I want to be able to midi out back to the APC and I want to be able to shove notes out into the depths of orac.

any thoughts?

or do I just need to add sound generation to my patch and be done with it?

interesting… I may have to hold off purchase of my second launchpad!

Looking over these threads
pd.info forum thread

pd list thread

It seems that you can address multiple devices using 1-16 for port 1 and 17-32 for port 2.

This still seems like it will be an issue as you will kind of have to sacrifice any kind of midi mapping to be able to fully control the APC.

This is probably why the monome uses serial and OSC (right?)

ah - thank you - well that certainly works on my desktop version.

agree mapping might be a pain - however I’m not getting into the realm of writing some kind of driver :wink:

dunno - Max is fairly good at multiple devices (in fact I often use it just to wire different things together)

this is already covered in my how to thread

you have a choices
a) map multiple controllers onto channels 1-16, then in orac you can select midi channel in chain
(i.e. just use different midi channels for each controller)
b) use -mididev in pd-opts.txt to attach multiple channels grouped, 1-16,17-32,33-48 etc.
then use midi channels in chain

if your controller is not able to select midi channel to send on (then after complaining to the manufacturer it should do), use option b, which will put midi channel 1 , 17 etc.

if you do use over channel 16, you will find orac limits selection in the router module :sob:

but have no fear, I rarely hard code anything…
go to the router module, open module.json, and there you see midi channel, change range to your new range
e.g. 0-128 :wink: (0=off, so keep zero)

cheers - I was looking for puredata only stuff - didn’t think of looking here

anyway - I’m on track again!

I’ve been working on a few modules, just finished one based on samplenest.
Its called sampletwig. It can only hold one sample, but it can be triggered and pitched with midi (using multiple instances should also let you layer samples).
I’ve been getting a lot of cool results sequencing it with arpeggiators, polybeats etc.
Also has two new random loop modes and adds pitch modulation.

you can grab it here:

Readme with more explanation of the parameters is here;

Currently selecting samples is a bit tricky if you have a lot (ORAC native sample support would be very useful here!).
Any feedback / bug reports appreciated!

11 Likes

wowza. can’t wait to try.
edit: i have now, and its amazing.
I spy a few other new one nes in your repository too, they all ready for release?

i don’t quite know what mode 4 is doing, but it sounds amazing.

one possible improvement could be if the envelope had finer adjustment possibility. the samples seem to ‘pop’ a bit (i wonder why), but an envelope setting of 0.1 stops it. i wonder if envelope 0.05 or 0.04 …etc. would work just to stop that tiny click or pop.