Mutable Instruments Grids on Organelle

Greetings,

One of my objectives when I got my Organelle was to fight off the urge to get into the money-sucking blackhole of Euroracks. One module that I find very tempting and that is always threatening to make me fall down the rabbit hole is Mutable Instruments Grids: http://mutable-instruments.net/modules/grids

I’m quite intrigued with Grids’ approach to drum sequencing, but throwing together a small eurorack system with a three sample players, modulation, filters and grids would cost me more than $2500 (CAD). Luckily, Grids’ code is open source and furthermore, Henri David was good enough to port that code to a Max external: https://github.com/hdavid/Grids

I purchased my Organelle because I thought I could convert that Max external to Pd and after a couple weeks of head scratching I’ve managed to do just that.

You’ll find attached a complete Organelle patch that puts my new external to work.

There are seven parameters to tweak, spread over two pages (press aux button to switch pages):

page 1

• tempo
  • Bass drum density
  • Snare drum density
  • Hi Hat density

page 2

• Map x
  • Map y
  • Chaos

Please refer to the Grids manual if you need more info on these parameters.

Note: One thing I hate about the same knobs controlling more than one parameter, is the sudden jumps between values when you switch page and the knob position no longer corresponds to the parameter value. My implementation deals with this by keeping the parameter value locked when you return to its page until the knob travel to a position corresponding to the parameter value. This allows me to smoothly change the parameter from its current value, without a sudden jump to whatever knob position is current after the page switch. If you want another behaviour, you can tweak as desired.

Note on sounds: Ultimately, I intend to use this sequencer with some drum samples, but I didn’t have any samples lying around that can be shared freely, so I used three drum voices created by Andy Farnell (aka obiwannabe on Pd forums). I’ll just take this opportunity not only thank him for those patches, but to also plug his excellent book once again: http://aspress.co.uk/ds/pdf/pd_intro.pdf

MIDI clock: Thanks to C&G metronome patch from one of the arp patches, the sequencer will sync to MIDI clock.

Patch: http://patchstorage.com/pd-grids/

External source code: https://github.com/spoitras/Pd-Grids

13 Likes

Wow, this is fantastic work! Will download shortly. Thanks for sharing!

You are a genius! This will open up for a a a whole new world on a magic music carpet!

1 Like

I can’t take any credit here… Olivier Gillet wrote the original code and Henri David did the heavy lifting when he created the Max external. All I had to do was figure out how to port that external to Pure Data. I looked at a few examples from the following book to help me understand how externals differ and relate in Max and Pure Data: http://www.areditions.com/lyon-designing-audio-objects-for-max-msp-and-pd-das025.html

1 Like

Hey good work! :))

i think it doesn’t work the Mother-desktop.pd …patch!?

btw… is it possible to clone even the clouds module by mutable instruments?

It works fine on any computer, but you’ll need to compile the external for your platform. The zip file contains only the compiled external for arch Linux (organelle).

The GitHub repo has an Xcode project for compiling on OS X, but you’re on your own for Windows.

Clouds is also open source, so it is possible in theory… Should be quite a challenge… But if someone with the right skills is properly motivated, it is possible. I don’t think I’m up to task, at least not until I learn more…

This is awesome, thanks for figuring this out! I noticed in your zip that the samples are .pd files. If I wanted to swap out samples, how would I go about doing that/converting another file format to .pd?

The pd files aren’t samples, they are drum synth voices created by Andy Farnell.

If you want the sequencer to trigger recorded samples, you’ll need to modify main.pd accordingly. The sampler style patch from Critter & Guitari should give you all you need (or, since this something I want as well, wait a couple days or weeks and I should get around to it as time permits).

Here,
Try this one. Replace the main.pd file with the attached version and add sampler-voice.pd (adapted from C&G Sampler style patch).

Then, you’ll need to add three wav files called bd.wav, snare.wav and hats.wav to the same directory.
main.pd (5.6 KB)
sampler-voice.pd (1.9 KB)

6 Likes

Awesome, thanks so much! I’m going to learn PD eventually, just don’t have the time at the moment. Swapping things around is well within my realm of capabilities. Cheers!

nice! now if only we could get clouds on the organelle :wink:

3 Likes

You guys don’t ask for much, do you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ll have to watch some demo videos for clouds, because at the moment I’m not really motivated to take that on.

1 Like

Thankyou for this, i downloaded your grids patch but didn’t realize it had been adapted for samples - was wondering about this possibility and can’t wait to try it!

I too would really love a clouds patch

1 Like

Great job on the grids patch, I’ll definitely be checking it out when my organelle arrives :slight_smile:

Did you look at Clouds in the end? Would be killer to have something along those lines in Organelle :wink: Hoping to start to learn PD when I get some time and maybe eventually be able to look at doing this kind of stuff myself… Feels kinda overwhelming for now tho!

1 Like

Hey everyone,
I’m glad the PD Grids external is so popular; however I I feel obligated to let you know that I have no immediate plans to work on a Clouds external, nor have I looked into determining if such a thing is even possible.

4 Likes

there is a “granny” external that Bill Orcutt wrote which was a linux version of the famous Max Patch that is certainly as good as “Clouds” is on Euro. i have to find it and i’ll try to share the contents

3 Likes

That sounds wonderful.

hey can you explain to me how to understand and deploy the pages idea in a patch. i still get crosstalk and bleed between pages and i would really like to know how to conquer this so all my patches can develop