as always the new C&G patches are great fun, and I love the new flexibility on the effects… light on cpu too
@oweno small bug … PD is case sensitive on some filesystems… so when you refer to ./polybeats/Polybeats, it must be polybeats/Polybeats.pd not polybeats/polybeats.pd
pure data 0.48 issue
as an aside Ive found with PD 0.48 some of these patches are crashing if alsamidi is enabled.
not sure if this is an issue with the patch, or a bug in 0.48. since:
- the patch works with alsa fine on 0.46
- the patch works fine on 0.48 without alsamidi
- majority of other patches work fine on 0.48 with alsamidi enabled.
- the patch works fine on 0.48, with alsamidi , if you enable the GUI
ok, there is a bug in 0.48 since it core dumps PD… but Im not sure if the patch is some how ‘provoking’ this, given others are fine… given the last point, I’m assuming there is some kind of race condition.
EDIT: ok some good news (kind of)
- this crash is the same crash as with the other CG patches thats crashed when I first build 0.48, so nothing new.
- Ive just built 0.48.0 on the rPI3 and it crashes in exactly the same way with the same patches.
so it seems likes it a general 0.48.0 issue… the advantage of it crashing on the rPI3 is I have a working GDB environment
- i tried with alsa setting in .pdsettings and its the same issue, so its not a command line issue.
I did also check puredata mailing lists, and there appears to be no mention of this bug.
I guess another thing to try, is to see if this is reproducible on a Linux X86 build, so we can determine if its a general alsamidi/linux issue, rather than ARM specific. (I suspect its not arm specific but you never no)
The other thing we can try is removing bits from the patch to see if we can stop it crashing i.e. a workaround.
( note: I ran the patch on the rPI without mother.pd, so we know its just in the patch not some combo of mother.pd and patch)
I think this is pretty important, as for the next release, we want to move to 0.48, and also I think we should be considering moving to alsamidi as the default midi implementation.