New Instrument Demo - ONDA - Live from Moogfest!

@oweno will the remaining gpio be accessible.
I’m thinking I could hack it, add a i2c/spi oled display and encoder :slight_smile:

( am i a bad person to think about hacking it , 24 hours after announce , and before it’s released ?!)

Hack away!

Just take my money already hahaha

This sounds really cool, love the wood top.
Would love to hear the C&G talk from Moogfest if anyone’s got vidja!

@rte1023 Unfortunately Moogfest did not record or stream our talk. Sorry!

:frowning_face:
Did we miss any more details? Are you going to release a video covering onda in more detail?

I want to know more :+1:t2:

Odd that this will be cheaper than the Organelle. It has a faster and more capable processor, more keys, lighted keys, ethernet and wifi, a built-in speaker and amp, battery power supply. The only thing it seems to be missing to be an Organelle replacement is the LCD screen.

Anyway, it looks quite cool. I’m looking forward to it being available for purchase.

You forget that it won’t have 1/4 inch inputs and outputs or a footswitch / expression pedal input but generally I’d agree that I’m surprised it’ll be cheaper. Really excited to get my hands on one actually because of the keys…

Im not… the rPI is much cheaper than the SOM used in Organelle, and the changes for ONDA are all ‘cost saving’, e.g. no metal enclose, no screen, no encoder…

id also suspect there was no need for a separate microcontroller, id guess just a few multiplexers perhaps for the keys.

the only thing im not sure about is the led keys, ive not been able to track these down, but there are similar pads which are not that expensive.

I think its a great example of using whats available… the advantages of using mass produced hardware.

also, lets bare in mind, whilst everyone here is stoked, releasing a rPI product with a significant premium would not be easy, you will get lots saying they can build it cheaper.
basically a rPI + audio card + launchpad , though a different form factor, would be very similar in capabilities to this.

thats no discrediting, as i very much appreciate the effort required to turn these things from computers to instruments - its tricky!

(and if you dont manage it, then there is no point in the ‘product’, you might as well use a cheap laptop :wink: )

I’m surprised in the sense that it will make the Organelle a tough sell. You (and I now!) may know that the rPi, cheaper enclosure, no screen and no encoder are reasons for a cheaper product but to the simple end user on the flip side they are seeing LEDs instead of maple keys and more knobs and the same ability to play Pd patches. It is a comparable product.

I’m not necessarily saying it will be more expensive to build. My point is more that it has better features so it might be difficult to continue selling the Organelle when something that is better and cheaper comes out. Does the ONDA have it’s own DAC? Maybe it’s using the one on the RaspberryPi and hence won’t have the audio quality of the Organelle.

I think better is subjective. All depends on how you plan on using it mostly.

In any case, it sounds quite cool. I hope it’s available soon.

I’m new here. This has really peaked my interest! I’d love to know the expected availability date… (aka, “take my money”)

Will the Onda be able to run previous Organelle patches?

Onda,I think, will need patches adapted to some extent to make sense, particular if they were multi page.
but they might kind of work , out of the box.

The real question is how to use the new UI effectively, I think it’s going to be very easy to build horribly cryptic UIs.
This is a real problem for a platform where users enjoy using multiple patches, so perhaps don’t build up ‘muscle memory’.

I’ve some ideas to try, when I can get my hands on one :).

I’d suspect we will see a organelle v2 some time after stock has run out, but that’s a complete guess, and could be 6 months, could be a year who knows.

It’s not unusual for (small) companies to have ‘blips’ in their product lines as they develop/move forward.

Edit: just realized something, how are you going to do the ‘system’ functions, like select midi device - I’m guessing that’s all going to have to move to the ‘built in webserver’ over WiFi

Maybe you hook up an HDMI monitor and USB keyboard/mouse and use that to setup a bunch of presets that you activate from the buttons during performance?

It would be nice to see an Organelle v2 with a speaker, amplifier, battery power, and lighted keys. Maybe even use the RaspberryPi internally. It’s interesting that Critter and Guitari had an Arduino shield at one point. Now it seems the ONDA is sort of a super RaspberryPi add-on. It makes sense to piggy back on an established platform.

Where the Organelle can be thought of as a jukebox of musical instruments, the ONDA is more like your walkman (if anyone still has one) loaded with your favorite mix tape. While it is possible to switch the patch that the ONDA is running, it is not as easy as on the Organelle. Patch switching is done through a web based selector app, or by placing a patch on a USB drive, or by connecting a monitor and keyboard. So it is not really something you would do mid-set or mid-song. The patch endows the ONDA with a behavior that usually stays put.

The ONDA has a carefully chosen combination of interface elements that allow for controlling a multitude of musical processes. The keyboard is more than 2 octaves, convenient for working on melodies. It also has 16 keys on the bottom which makes sense for step sequencers. Often it is desirable to control something about a music process (such as sequencing) and sound process (such as recording a sample), so the 2 auxiliary buttons provide just enough push button control for both. And finally the shift key can be used together with the other buttons for meta features like storing and loading presets.

So the idea is a single patch can go deep: a step sequencer with recordable samples and storing and loading of sequences, an arpeggiating synthesizer with selectable synth voices and presets, an algorithmic sample manipulator…

Of course it would become difficult to remember what all the controls do, as @thetechnobear mentioned, and this brings up another feature of the ONDA: removable faceplates.

The faceplate is designed to be removed, so you can attach a faceplate labeled for the patch. Faceplates may be laser cut and engraved from any 1/16" material, and attached by clicking them into 6 tabs on the enclosure.

Removable faceplates is a cool idea!