Orac : release 1.0

Yeah these are not really Orac bugs… so much as bugs in lmnts and brds externals
unfortunately they never crash on macOS when I’m debugging :wink:

I suspect we now see it more, just because they are being unloaded and loaded more frequently (for me they tended to crash when I load them)

Lmnts seems much more proned to crashing of the two, but unfortunately they will be unrelated bugs.

I think I’m just going to have to review the code again… but last time I didn’t spit anything obvious.

Btw I don’t think it kills organelle iirc , if you have a WiFi stick you can still login and restart mother.
The ‘issue’ is once Pd gains control of the display, the ‘mother host’ can do nothing, so you can’t change patches/shutdown etc, so if Pd dies your locked out.
I’ve proposed before that Pd should send a ‘keep alive’ message , such that if it dies mother could cease control - actually thinking about it now, I could get Mother host to monitor the Pd process and just cease control of it sees it dies!
Hmm, so OS 3.2 :slight_smile:

This is wonderful work @Thetechnobear; thank you so much for your time and effort! Well documented, great UI and flow, and a wide selection of initial modules/patches. Awesome stuff!!! As a musician (and wage slave) with limited time to do PD programming this workflow is optimal for me and a wonderful way to leverage the organelle.

How difficult do you think it will be to convert a pre-existing patch into a patch that plays nicely with Orac? If I could get my favorite FX in here I think this could replace several links in my pedalboard!

Do you have a Patreon?

*Cancel question about patch conversion; I just found your other thread on the subject!!! Wohoo!

There is no visible jitter. The parameters don’t jump. Mine was an assumption that may involve some small fluctuation that may change the raw value of the knob, but not the rounded up parameter value. Anyway, at the moment there is a workaround to this.

It has, however, nothing to do with deactivating midi learn. I was careful to move only one MIDI knob for one parameter. And I wasn’t sending CC0.

I am running 3.1

I cannot disable midi input at the moment as I use the Organelle with other patches that are played with MIDI controllers.

Yes same thing happened to me with similar patches loaded, it was definitely one of those last loaded (lmnts, brdsmono type patches)

Changing sequencer also causes me stuck notes/freezes, i guess because synths are interrupted and yet to receive a 0/off message for said stuck note - ala the mellotron quirk. Something to remember rather than a huge issue, except for sequencers without ‘stop playing’ type commands.

Im going to do a 'how to convert" video see here .
generally its very easy to convert, but of course can depend on the patches complexity.
the UI is usually trivial to do.
the main thing to watch for is patches using ‘global’ names , if they do this, whilst they will probably work, once you load up more than one of them they will interfere with each other.
but once you have done one patch (and hence my ‘video tips’) these are pretty easy to support, so its just a matter of being thorough about it :wink:

yup, what I need to do, is give the sequencers a chance to know they are being unloaded, to then cancel any active note.
(it has to be this way around, since the neither the sequencer nor the synth knows what they are connected to… i.e. so a synth cant cancel notes… it might be nice though to have an all-notes-off option)

Hi @thetechnobear do you know why when i ores install it shows me this message? i use the version 3.1…

given others have been installing from PatchStorage (and Ive not changed it since release) , and Ive had no reports of errors, I think we can assume the uploaded version is ok.

so, I can only imagine either:

• the zop file was corrupted whilst downloading
  • the zop file was corrupted whilst copying the USB stick
  • the USB stick your using is unreliable (if its the white C&G supplied one, this is very likely)

(the errors a bit surprising, basically it means when it reads the zop file, which is basically a zip file, if doesnt file any files… so almost like the zop is empty, rather than found to be corrupted whilst unzip)

basically, id try re-downloading, and copying to the USB stick patch folder again.
if you get the same error, Id try a different usb stick.

(unfortunately, seeing files get corrupted whilst getting copied across to the USB stick is something we do see quite frequently… but mainly just when using unbranded usb sticks)

anyone else downloaded and installed in the last few hours?
if not i guess I can download it again, and it again… but im 99% sure thats going to work :wink:

(p.s. I assume you did just copy the zop file across, you didnt try to unzip it or anything)

UPDATE:
ok, I just downloaded from Patchstorage, copied to my USB stick and installed, everything ok.
so must be corruption on your end :frowning:

Thank you very much.

But it gave me the same error even if i use another usb stick.
I think there are some problem with my organelle because, if you remember, also the OTC gave me lots of problems and it never worked out at the end.

Do you know if there’s a procedure to reset the organelle?

Thanks a lot

this is awesome, @thetechnobear!!!

watched all the vids last night, and was curious if the children of sample patch could be loaded in here somehow (i would love to run multiple instances of this patch!)

i wish i didn’t have a show tomorrow, i’d rather be playing with this all day!!!

you’ll need an sdcard writer for your computer. then :

• download the 3.0 image from http://thepeacetreaty.org/organelle/diskimages/
  • download etcher , from http://etcher.io
  • pop out the microsd card from your Organelle
  • insert sdcard into writer on your computer
  • start etcher, select the image you downloaded, and your sdcard , write image
  • pop sdcard into organelle (carefully, dont drop it inside the case :wink: )

its quick and easy to do, once you’ve done it once.

thats it, the whole OS is replaced, so like new…

if that doesn’t work, I wonder if something is wrong with the usb port (I assume you tried both?!)

all really odd, whilst I’ve seen on here lots with issues with bad usb sticks, when they replaced the stick with a decent quality one, the issue has been resolved.

good luck i hope you get it resolved.

Hi Mark, Roberto here. I wrote to your youtube channel yesterday and as you asked me I’m moving the question here.
So the issue that i found on my organelle is like the Orac won’t load some module like for example the clock module or wavescanner or analogstyle, or the R-1x10… and I saw the video Orac - Mark Harris from Antonio Machado on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1fYYE622Iw) and looks like if on his version he can load more module, I have just 7 module (m7) and that’s it.
Hopefully this could be useful to other users having the same problem.
Thanks again for your help and your job Mark.

hi @Robvis thanks for coming here , much easier if we keep things in one place.

ok, i think we need to take a step back, and first determine if the UI is confusing you, or if its a technical issue.

let start with some basics.

• are you running OS 3.0 or OS 3.1?
  • what usb stick are you using? id highly recommend you do not use the white one supplied by C&G… its slow and unreliable. (and Orac dynamically loads patches)
  • when you say it doesn’t load, what do you mean, what happens?
  • can you walk thru the steps you use to change the module, step by step.
  • is your problem with every module, or just specific modules.

next lets clear up terminology, so we are talking the same lingo :slight_smile:

there are 10 module slots, you can switch between them using encoder + aux to bring up a list, then click the slot you want to use
in each of these slots, you can load a ‘module’, to do this click the encoder to bring up the main menu, then click the first item (which will be the module name) , this brings up a list of module types, scroll thru the list, and click the encoder when you get to the one you want.

to be clear, the encoder is used in threeways.
modules parameter page (if >1) - turn encoder
menu use - click and then release, and turn encoder to select items
shortcut (e.g. module selection) - click and hold, and then press a key (e.g. aux)

so you do not need to hold the encoder down when using the menu.

exiting menus, the menu will timeout after a couple of seconds and return you to the parameter screen.

hope this helps
Mark

Hello @thetechnobear, just want to say I think this is amazing, and a great step towards making the organelle so much more powerful.

The amazing thing is I assumed that this sort of module / multi patch solution was going to be an organelle 2.0 release by C&G because of the amount of work needed to do this!

I have one technical question. How careful do you have to be with CPU intensive modules? Does chaining 5 regular modules together start getting shakey?

I’ll be sure to add a couple of my patches that I haven’t been releasing due to bad UI into this now! This coupled with automatonism will make creating complex and interesting sounds more simple.

Thanks so much!
Andrew

this is a common question… and the answer is simple.
it depends :slight_smile:

honestly, ive filled up all slots, without issues with sequencers, synths, fx
but i respect that some modules are expensive on cpu, so if im doing lots, then i use the cheaper version
e.g. if im doing a bass line, which is monophone, I might use basicmono, as its 4 times cheaper than basicpoly…
similar lmnts, can be quite expensive, so if im doing lots of other things, I might not use it.

in the module list, i tried to give an indication, if someone wants to update this to be more accurate that would be awesome.

I’ll leave you (and others) with two thoughts

• limitations can be creative, you’ll be surprised how good some basic synths can be thru a good reverb - learning how to use orac most effectively will take a time, its quite deep :wink:
  • the modules, orac is designed to make modules easy to build.
    the modules a lot are C&G ‘conversions’, and whilst they are wonderful, they were not build with Orac and multiple modules in mind. I could see that in the future, other modules will be made where the developer will know and respect that their module is part of the patch, and so does not overwhelm it - so perhaps some lighter modules, that sound great when tied to certain fx etc.
    (unless of course they want it to be use as a rack of 1 module, which is ok too, but then they will have to ‘explain’ this to their users :wink: )

@thetechnobear Maybe add that routing modules or the clock module can be placed in any of the 10 slots :wink:

@Robvis in my video I’ve started adding modules from the end so m9: (key 9 on the Organelle)

Ok, sorted out. I just erased the patch from the organelle drive (the black one with 16 giga) and installed again. The only difference with my first installation was the restarting of the organelle. Let me explain myself better. First time after the installation the patch said: installation completed restart mother (I thought you meant the whole organelle’s system) second installation (now) I just restart the patch without turning off the organelle. Now everything work perfect and this patch is just amazing. What was happening before was like if the patch was at 70% so this mean that the module at my disposition was 8 from 0 to 7 and as soon the oracle was loaded the screen was just black with only the level of the input and the output. Now for example when I load orac start with your preset. Anyway I starting my shift now. Late tonight I’ll try again but looks perfect now. Thanks for the help.

Odd, shouldn’t matter if you restated as long as you used shutdown on menu, if not then possible that it got corrupted.
Anyway glad it’s working now.
Happy music making :slight_smile:

Hi, first of all thank you for that cool patch… i’v got one question about sequencing arps and syncing them with link – my first attempt was to build a chain with seq2 in first slot then arper in the second and basicpoly in the third. when I record a sequence lets say over 2 or 4 bars the arpeggio/seq always shifts and changes over time. is it possible to “autodetect” the bars played that it cuts where the bar starts/stops so that the arp sequence remains the same as played without shifting melody over time?