Organelle as an audio looper?

I’d like to discuss the Organelle and its possibilities of being used as a looper.

For example: plug a guitar in the 1/4" jack input on the unit and be able to loop or multitrack guitar parts combined with on-board Organelle synth sounds like bass to add a bass line using the wooden keybed

This is a great idea! We were actually playing with a delay / looper patch the other day with guitar… and then wondered what the keys would do, and thought a simple synth to play along with the guitar would be so fun.

Our simple delay loop uses 2 knobs: feedback and loop length. Then the other 2 knobs could control say tone and loudness of a simple key synth.

The Organelle also has a jack for foot switch which could be used for something like a tap tempo or punching in…

1 Like

Very cool to hear.

What’s the maximum time you can get from a loops length?

Is it possible to do two separate loops/tracks with seperate vol/mix control? Or maybe verse and chorus looped parts

Could it possibly do things like loop reverse and pitch change?

We had two 10 minute delays happening yesterday feeding into one another. I didn’t try making them longer than that, ultimately you are limited by the amount of RAM on the Organelle, but I figured 10 minutes was pretty long! It would definitely be possible to route and mix them in interesting ways too.

That sounds really intriguing.
Looks like building something like the EHX 16-second Delay with Organelle would be entirely possible.
Brilliant stuff.

The keys could be used to set the delay time to an interval which matches the BPM

4 Likes

yes. look into puredata, it can do almost anything imaginable.

1 Like

If you want to build a looper, I’d suggest looking at Marco Baumgartner’s ALFALOOP patch (vanilla safe). I ported it to MobMuPlat on iOS and it’s a blast. I’m sure it will be equally fantastic on the organelle.

http://marcobaumgartner.com/#puredata

4 Likes

Just opened this up and considering trying to port to the Organelle. I am guessing I need to:

• Change audio i/o configuration
  • Assign keys / knobs to looper functions
  • Add menus for Organelle

Was hoping this would be straightforward but looking at the patch I’m not sure where to start! Has anyone else looked at this?

1 Like

I’ve already ported this patch to the organelle: http://forum.critterandguitari.com/t/audio-looping-on-the-organelle/159

5 Likes

Even easier! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I’ve got a patch that does ‘Frippertronic’ style looping rather than more traditional loop pedal looping

Basically two loops that decay over time.

I need to tidy it up - unfortunately there are a lot of artefacts if you change loop time while it is playing. I’ll release it when I’ve done that (will likely port it to @thetechnobear’s new Kontrol format too)

7 Likes

Were you able to tidy this patch up? Sounds interesting.

One of my favourite guitar pedals is Strymon’s El Capistan because of its “Sound on Sound” mode. A tape style looper where the loops degrade over time.

Very intersted for a Frippertronic style looper ! Also a regular user of Strymon’s El Capistan pedal, loving it.

2 Likes

Bumping this thread. @junklight any progress? Or can Overloop be modded to degrade older loops over time?

so - not had a chance - I’m still porting Monome Kira to Lua - that will be followed up with a Organelle version - planning to make/adapt a Lua/PD object to talk to the grid (save me having to do two ports :wink: )

Also trying to write some AUs for money - one of those IS a frippertronic style looper

however i’ll do what I can to tidy it up and get it up in the next week or so

4 Likes

Sounds cool keep us posted on the AUs…!

1 Like

I decided to practice my PD skills with experiments on looping and manipulating live recordings.
I’m a super newbie in PD and audio stuff, but I’ve got some knowledge with max/MSP.

I can see two branches so far, with PD vanilla.

1. the delwrite~ route, easy and straightforward in a way, but am I right to assume that this doesn’t allow any rate control, any reverse playing, and any slicing ?

2. the tabwrite~ route, which seems more complex to handle but more flexible. Any good (very) simple examples of this approach ?

Replying to myself : the Nori Sampler seems to be a great patch to study.

the delwrite~ route, easy and straightforward in a way, but am I right to assume that this doesn’t allow any rate control, any reverse playing, and any slicing ?

It’s a bit more complex to do pitch control, reversing etc when using delwrite, but you can do it using delread4~ and phasor~ to read from the delay buffer at different rates. I’ve found I prefer that as you can process the audio stream in realtime rather than needing to keep writing stuff to a table. One drawback is that you can’t save or load the audio buffer to disk easily.

1 Like