OTC - ETC on Organelle

Well… just add a Patches Folder It’s an Organelle so…
Why not

1 Like

obviously!
I definitely did some shit but I don’t know where.
I seems to have followed everything as described.

time to buy an ETC :))

Never tried to put patches folder in it.

this is not an issue… OTC does not use PD patches.
your issue is lower level, but unfortunately I dont have enough information/diagnostics to determine the underlying cause, and so necessary fix… as far as I can see, for a small percentage of Organelle there is an issue.

btw: did you try to run OTC_Mother without any HDMI connected, did it get further? (as per this post)

btw2: another ‘stupid thing’ to try… try running doing repeatedly (4-5 times), powering off/on, then starting OTC_Mother. as mentioned above, Ive seen some evidence of intermittent failures on my Organelle … though its rare, perhaps for some reason its more frequent on some other Organelle for some unknown reason.

@keymanpal - have you ever had OTC_Mother not start? or has it always started correctly?

Thank you for your answers @keymanpal & @thetechnobear, i think the keystep has the same problem than the akai k25 because i ve tried with the piano roll from ableton and it works!!! and it would be a great thing if modes or scenes would be controlled by cc. “pause/freeze” is also a good idea!!!

2 Likes

Do we mean CC or midi note values? Feel like that would be more appropriate myself. Maybe it’s already there in ETC code for note values, not sure as i’m out the house at the mo.

By the way @oiboy86 you should definitely get some patches on your organelle! Hope you’ve not deprived yourself of musical organelling!

1 Like

Only notes are available on etc , that’s why I suggested adding cc might be nice extension

1 Like

To confirm, etc has scene advance activated by notes?

I’m with @Wannop, @oiboy86 and head scratching as to why no Patches on that USB stick, but you probably have either the original one or another for “normal” Organelle use.

In an attempt of something different and a remote possibility of wierd directories placement I asked the previous.

Yes understand and was mention before, but trying something different and maybe it’s not that low level rather simple thing… oh and that last photo? No patches found! insert USB drive?? were is the USB stick with Modes then ?? running OTC mother @oiboy86?

The error message is ‘canned’ , just assumes if it can’t find a patches folder , then no stick is inserted.
( I could improve it ;))

Nope, you can switch with program change or keys on hardware.

2 Likes

On my end always starts correctly, either with or without HDMI connected and from day one over your 2.2 TBb15 :wink:

1 Like

I’m a bit reluctant to write this but maybe helps debug something? (or just noise and grey hair)

• Running OTC mother go and eject USB drive
  • then reload USB drive
  • select OTC mother

It hangs on a black screen with ETC logo, does not start never.

ETC does not allow drive to be ejected, so its not really coded to cope with this… ETC is a quite simple device, compared to Organelle, more a ‘turn on’ and it does it stuff… little can change after its turned on (except outside ETC_Web)

I think probably better to stick to simple case, which is start OTC from cold, with setup as designed, does it start.
of course, can improve it over time, but I don’t this is related to issues at hand.

1 Like

Hey i’m sorry for the late replay but i wasn’t at home thes to day.
I’ve just tried to run the OTC_Mother without the HDMI connected and actually it brings me here.

then i’ve tryed to put the HDMI cable 2, 3 times than this has appeared
But it’s kinda stuck and i can’t go further.
I feel that we’re going to get to the point.
Thank you all for your help!!

1 Like

Ok from the last screenshot i sent you, i’ve tried to press all knobs randomly to see if something happens.
than it appears this on the bottom

And i can play with that. When i play a note from Nordmodular (to the audio in of the organelle) i can see the patterns changing which is very cool but it would be nice to see it full screen and with out bugs like the black stripes that flicker continuously.

I only wanted to update you guys on my attempts :thinking:

2 Likes

ok @oiboy86 this is looking like we are getting to the root cause… and the good news it looks like its configuration/monitor rather than anything more complex :wink:

for others… it looks like Oiboys issue stem from having to change the the resolution in uEnv.txt to 1920x1080M@60 to get his monitor to work

this cannot be done with OTC, the otc_installer sets it to 1280x720@60, and it must stay at this…
ETC (and so OTC) is hard coded to do 720p (1280x72) due to CPU constraints, higher resolutions = higher cpu.

this means two things:
a) you cannot change the resolution in uEnv.txt… it must be left at 1280x720@60
b) your monitor/tv/projector must support 720p

so dont change uEnv.txt after you have run OTC_Installer
try using startx to see if your monitor works at this resolution.

and try running OTC without anything attached to the HDMI, if you see the OLED display the patch parameters, then you can see OTC is running correctly, and it is your monitor that is having issues.

4 Likes

Ok, 1.2 is released and available on patchstorage :slight_smile:

The main focus of 1.2 is performance improvement - improving the performance of modes, means you get higher frame rates (closer to the max 30fps) , or more complex modes.
Im seeing something like 10-20% improvement depending upon what the mode is up to

but there are other improvements:

• foreground colour changes
    a number of changes to the way foreground colour knob functions, see below
  • greyscale available for background colour
    note: this means saved scenes may need to be adjusted
  • etc.midi_new_notes array
    modes can now access new midi notes thru etc.midi_new_notes, rather than having to traverse the notes array. this is useful for triggering changes when a particular note is recieved
  • etc.midi_cc[127]
    midi cc values are available for modes to use
  • frames per second shown on OSD
    note: this is FPS when you hit the OSD button, its not changing since the OSD dramatically reduces the real FPS rate, it is based on the fps calculate by pygame (which is a 10 frame average)
  • levels meters
    input is (obviously) input level, output is an ‘indication’ of the number of triggers in the last second
  • organelle keys
    ’white keys’ now generate appropriate midi notes, means you now have 14 keys to make a mode do something new.
    (they also cause triggers)

Foreground colour changes
Ive changed this a little, which means whilst its very similar in operation actually colours for a particular knob value will be different… so your saved scenes may need to be adjusted.
changes are:

• fixed greys are now replaced with a variable greyscale
  • slightly larger ranges for the ‘random’ colour (random bw/grey/colour/primary colour) to make them easier to dial in
  • variable fixed colour, is now a slightly large RGB range.
4 Likes

Nice and thanks !! It is much smoother and fast!!

• Midi CC (yeah) = let’s feed ios Lemur to OTC :wink:
  • “white keys” great to have !

Once again great work :confetti_ball::tada::confetti_ball:

1 Like

hey, do we have to run the installer again or just replace the mother folder?