Porting Organelle patches to the Nebulae Eurorack module

Hey all,

I don’t have an Organelle yet, but I do have a Qu-Bit Nebulae. It’s a Eurorack module that acts as a granular sample player, and it uses a Raspberry Pi for CPU and audio programming. As a side benefit (or main benefit, depending on your inclination), it’s capable of running Csound and Pure Data patches. Their website has a PD template (for PD Vanilla), as well as a few instruments, only three of which are Pure Data instruments at the moment. It doesn’t have many of the features the Organelle has (for instance, there’s no external audio input that I can see in this PD template, so I don’t think it can be used as an effects processor), but it does have 8 knobs and 8 CV patch points, all routable/assignable.

So, being a Pure Data absolute beginner, I would be interested primarily in porting over some of the wonderful Organelle instruments to work with Nebulae. (Getting the Mutable Instruments Grids patch to work would be really swell!) As I embark on these projects, is there anything I should keep in mind, re: changing the patches to fit that PD template linked above? Anything I should know, to save myself as much trouble as possible? (Or is this porting stuff way harder than a beginner can handle?)

P.S. Any porting I do that gets posted elsewhere will definitely credit/attribute the original creator. I think these are all openly shared and remixable by nature, but correct me if I’m wrong. You’re all doing amazing work.

Cheers!

I hope someone has an answer for you because As soon as i saw the Nebulae ran PD I started thinking the same thing

I would look at the mother pd patch. There’s also a list of send and receive objects in the organelle manual. Also routing the throw~ objects would be important.

Just bumping this thread as the new nebulae is out. Couldn’t find much info but i’d be surprised if it couldn’t be used to process sound.

I had quick look at the nebulae manual and pd template.

seems its got a raspberry PI inside, so should work out of the box
(though ideally I’d recommend externals for a slight improvement in performance)

looks like it uses 14 bit cc for getting the knob/cv input so just a matter of switching parameters over to use that.
for a quick and dirty solution , just send 4 of them to knob1-4 e.g. [* 1023]-> [s knob1]

if you want to do deeper, then you can pull apart the patch to find the parameter values…
however as luck would have it, thats exactly what Ive done with Orac modules :slight_smile:
in fact, orac already allows you to map parameters to midi cc (albeit only 7bit)

however, in 1.1 there will be modulation bus, and also blokas have just added another feature to allow pd to update parameters … so this will make it easier to integrate at full resolution.
also for 1.1 I hope to have rPI support, and Bela support , and this will contain things that will ‘help’ this sort of unit.

(ive some also interested in getting orac to work on Terminal Tedium , once the rPI support is there)

(i assume the usb port on the Nebulae supports usb hubs/wifi etc?!)

though, if you dont have this, and you are after a eurorack solution . Id recommend Bela Salt/Salt+

Im going to be supporting Orac on this, as its very cool… and i have one :wink:
but be quick, they are only building a limited number (can’t remember if its 30 or 50) to ‘test the water’, after that who knows…

If I recall, they’ve said that they plan to have PD and other languages supported with the Nebulae v2, and even plan to actively support this with patches. Maybe they got inspired by what happened with the Organelle. Also crucially, there are audio inputs on v2, which v1 didn’t have.

(Ironically I sold my Nebulae v1 to fund my Organelle purchase, so I can’t test out how easy it is to get Orac running on it)

I’m working for Qu-bit right now making a set of patches for the Nebulae2 it’s pretty straight forward you just need to use a template and obey some hardcoded send~/receives~ and one main netreceive~

About to get a modular and Nebulae is gonna be one of the first modules so this thread’s suddenly way more interesting to me now :wink: Excited to see what you conjure up @shreeswifty and seems like Nebulae v2 is ANOTHER good reason for me to try to find some time to get a grip on PD…

This looks really interesting too. Will keep an eye on it.

It’s a SUPER tempting module. Appears to fix all my quibbles with v1. No doubt I’ll find myself getting one eventually.

I looked at Nebulae 2, but I think technically Bela Salt (with salt+) is much better !

its got more cv/trigger inputs, and has cv outputs and triggers…

however, its also more ‘generic’, so it might depends on what you want/need…

Ive got Orac working already on Bela, and its is very cool… basically, it runs completely ‘standalone’ but plug in a wifi card and you can then use your iPhone to setup new presets… in the same way as Organelle.
oh, and bela has both midi host and midi device too…

(im also adding a whole bunch of cv io to orac, which is going make Salt an awesome multi-purpose module :slight_smile: )

Ive been really happy with mine so far.

but for now, I guess its more aimed at developers who can put these kind of things together…

one other area, im exploring with salt, is supercollider , theres a lot of potential there.

Qu-bit hired me to make patches for it and it’s really great. It runs SuperCollider too dude so maybe you can design an alternative patch loader for it? or something

It also runs Csound pretty impeccably and the patch that ships with it is really nice and sounds like classic barry Truax granular but Andrew and Stephen have done a fabulous job with it. So i decided to make some patches that were a little more intensive than the organelle can run. I’m sure the onda will be super charged and bad-ass too but it’s exciting to have so may tools that run Pure Data these days

So the first PD Qubit patch i will be releasing will be a granular patch so users can switch between the versions and have fun with whatever their favorite language is.

The patch i am developing and renovating is a 16year old Granular patch that i think is really nice and almost every parameter has CV control and the Quibit ships with a “source” button which lets users exploit an additional 10 parameters like grains_ and grains_deviation so at 20 CV-able parameters, with stereo sample loading and glorious euro sound – the thing is pretty massive and brings Pd firmly into the Euro rack world

The second patch will be a version of the Spectral Drum sampler that i recently released that uses some fun spectral code

Then a huge reverb
and then a modal drum patch