Sampling functionality/limitations?

Hello! New to C-G world, so please be gentle with me! Ok, so my process is that i make a LOT of my samples, from mostly organic sounds that i treat thru a variety of ways. I have looked thru the manual and this forum and am guessing there are no way to load your own samples, and the only way to load a sample is via the audio input? So I was wondering, with the 4gb usb storage, isn’t that sort of a lot of unused space, if the flash is only for (what i am assuming) are very small patch data files?

Would love to be able to load all my weird paper bag crumples on this thing!

Thanks!!

1 Like

I am personally pretty sure you can load your own samples onto the usb stick and have patches load them from there. Don’t have my Organelle here yet, so cannot try at the moment, but would be super surprised if something like that doesn’t work. The available sampler patches for Organelle work that way.

samples go into the folder associated with your patch I’m fairly sure

So does that mean that it is impossible to access samples from a folder that is not associated with a particular patch?

For example, I would like to run audio into the Organlle’s inputs, process the audio via an audio effect patch, and also save the processed audio to the disk drive and access the recording from a sampler patch.

Is that possible on the Organelle?

Thanks guys for ur responses!
I’d also wondered if that was the way potential sample loading worked (thru patches). Hopefully that can be clarified by somebody who has done it. But Jessetal brings up an issue I wondered as well, not being able to grab samples at will (via a master list or something)… Not a huge problem, as this thing (seems to) crush most competition in it’s price range. I just hope the learning curve on it doesn’t take me like 2 years to figure it out, as I don’t think I will be using it “out of the box”.

Also, any limit on sample length? Not trying to load like 10 minute roland 404 samples, but i occasionally make one or two measure “riffs” that would be fun to manipulate.

just got my device, wow-wee this thing is nice!

to answer the questions about sampling: it’s puredata, you just make it do whatever! i just now cobbled together the code from the arpeggiator selection knob (chooses 8 modes by turning the knob) to instead load up 8 different samples with file names 1.wav, 2.wav, 3.wav etc. when you run the patch, turn the knob, the sample changes, presto change-o!

i read in the manual that you can make the script run.sh go when you select the patch, where one could probably whip up some command line jazz to read or copy samples from another folder or wherever. need to play with this!

altogether a very versatile device. editing patches takes diligence, especially if you don’t know pd, even more so if you know nothing about programming or code. i like how this thing is an open box, i used to program graphing calculators back in the day to make beats (limited to square waves) and this thing is a dream come true. no battery power is a drag, but i’m working up an idea on how to attach a big lipo battery and a 3dprinted shell/backpack.

F U N T I M E S

1 Like

Thanks for that feedback! I’d really like to know more about the possibility of pointing a patch to a common sample folder. It’s really essenial to my workflow for me to be able to access the same audio files from different patches.

You indicated setting up the selection knob to choose different samples. Does the Organlle have a default naming convention for saving audio files? For example, using the scenario you mentioned above,mit would be great if processed/recorded audio could be saved in numerical sequence order, i.e. 1,2,3, etc. that way, the audio could be immediately accessed via the patch.

Your thoughts?

To answer some of the questions about sampling… The default sampling patches (Basic Sampler and Sampler Style for example) load sound files from the USB drive into RAM for playback. This all happens inside Pd, so the process may be customized. In these basic examples, the sound files are stored in the same folder with the rest of the patch files (the patch folder). In Basic Sampler the file is ‘sound.wav’, and in the Sampler Style patch, there are 24 wav files (1.wav, 2.wav… etc) that get mapped to each key.

The naming and location of these files is up to the patch and what it is doing. In these examples they are located in the patch folder, but they could be located anywhere on the USB drive (for example in a Sounds folder, or in another patches folder). Changing this stuff will require editing / creating a patch that does what you have in mind… That said there are some things to try that don’t involve any Pd editing. For example you could copy the Sampler Style patch 4 times (so in the Patches folder of USB drive you would have Sampler Style 1, Sampler Style 2…) and then put different sounds in each one, now you’d have 4 sample playback keyboards…

Some other notes about sound files. The sound files in these examples should be 44.1kHz / 16bit .wav files. Again this is something that can be changed around in the patch itself, but the examples use this format. Since they are being loaded into RAM they should also be on the sorter side (on the order of seconds, not minutes) For longer sound files, there is another group of objects in Pd for reading and writing them directly to disk so space is limited by disk space and not RAM, we’ll be posting some patches of this setup soon.

Thanks for that feedback, oweno! I appreciate the option of creating multiple sampler folders but I would really like to see a screenshot of the portion of a Pd patch that referwnces a sample folder on the USB drive root directory.

I would also like to see a similar screenshot of a Pd patch that records an audio file of the patch to that same sample folder.

The immense possibilities presented by Organelle are evident. I just need to better see how to quickly harness that power. After all, the shorter the timeframe between inspiration and actual music production, the better.

For my purposes, I see the Organelle as a sound composiion and audio mangling workhouse. I want to be able to record sequences as audio and then load the resulting audio into sound mangling audio effect patches and then again record the result, and so on.

That way, I can ultimately load a bunch of processed audio loops into a sequencer patch and build an entire song – once again recording the composition as one song audio file. So please bear with me. :slight_smile: The Pd screenshot examples I’ve asked for above won’t just help me. They would allow any potential Pd novice and Organelle purchaser to almost immediately edit any approrpiate Pd patch in a way that doesn’t just demonstrate the power of Pd, but (more importantly) produces useful music production-oriented results.

Wow guys! Thanks so much for all this info! I was definitely perplexed on how the patches were designed to work, I suppose i was thinking of them only as data settings, which then referenced to the wav files compiled in a more central location. It seems a little bit like the older Electribe samplers, (altho LEAPS beyond) which i believe saved all the data for a patch or “set” as they called them, i think, along with the samples. Going from computer to electribe was done thru fan-made open-source editor software. So the Organelle is sorta like perfection for that idea of user-driven configuration. Now I just gotta figure out if I have enuff stuff to sell in order to buy one of these! Sheesh.

you could install pure data on your PC/Mac, and download the patch to have a look at it.

what would be nice from Critter, is perhaps a ‘mother patch’ we could use on a PC/Mac…
this would allow us to experiment/develop on the computer, and then move them over to the Organelle once they have taken shape.

Id assume this is pretty simple to do, just need to do a small emulation of the screen/knobs.
I know if I get an Organelle this is something I would be keen to do asap.

but also for prospective buyers, would give an idea of how to patch.
(it might sound a bit different on the organelle due to ADC etc)

Here’s a “desktop” Mother patch!

1 Like

We just posted a video that demonstrates loading your own samples for existing sample-playing patches like Sampler Style, Pow Pow’s Poly Beats, etc.:

With this video, we hope you’ll see how easy it is to make multiple versions of the same patch with each instance having its own set of samples! For example, you could have three copies of Pow Pow’s Polybeats:

• One copy (named Pow’s Pow’s Jet Sounds) has 24 samples of jet noises.
  • Another copy, Pow Pow’s String Samples has 24 samples of string quartets
  • The last copy, Pow Pow’s Mix Pack has 24 samples of various instruments

…it is completely up to you and the music you want to make!

5 Likes

Hi, is there a way to change samples without computer?

I saw the example patches for sample recorder/sample sequencer… To me it seems ideal to have alternate versions of sample playing patches that read from various sample recording patches on the organelle. So it would be possible to record/change samples using only the organelle (and whatever is plugged into it…).
I can foresee some impracticality with this scheme… but using the computer is impractical in its own way.

Thanks for all of your work and sharing : )

`~k

this would be super cool! sort of a sample management patch where you could set start and end points for a sample on each key, then that gets written to a folder that the other patches read from.

@kee & @friender There are couple ways to use different samples for a patch:

1. Make multiple copies of the same patch, but with different samples (covered in the video I posted above). This is even easier now that the OS allows for saving a copy of the patch. Plus, by using the Web-based file manager (WiFi adapter required) you can upload patches and move files around without swapping USB drive in and out of your computer.

2. Change where a patch looks for the samples it plays: Best way to share audio files between patches?. If you wanted to, you could also use modified Recorder or Overloop patches so that they save to that media folder as well…

I’m at the moment considering the organelle and I was wondering how long the samples can be? It would be great if it can take longer samples, of say 10 minutes in length or longer. Is this possible with the organelle? Some thing like a Roland 404 but much smaller in size.

I used to program my music in maxmsp and samples are loaded into the ram. Does this work the same as to PD? or in the organelle?

I feel this was discussed on a thread somewhere else.
But I believe the consensus was that it would be too memory or processing intensive for the Organelle to handle.

ok thanks for the note. Found the thread saying that the best max sample length is 90secs. guess I’ll have to look at other possibilities.

I think overloop already samples to the sdcard if you have moved to using the sdcard for patches
So then the limit is probably sdcard size.

( I’d not recommend using the usb drive for this personally , but perhaps it’s ok)