Serialosc/monome with Organelle?

Might it be possible to install serialosc on the Organelle, so that one might use Pd’s OSC support to communicate with a monome over USB?

That sounds cool, I’ve wanted to try monome with the Organelle, although I don’t have one to test on.

It looks like serialosc can be compiled for linux, but some dependencies might need to be resolved:

http://monome.org/docs/linux/

Would it be possible to communicate directly with monome using the comport object right from Pd? or is serialosc necessary? I guess more questions than answers! not really familiar with monome…

1 Like

I have not yet tried Pd’s comport with monome, so I’m not quite sure how that would work, but I suspect it’s on the right track.

I’ve passed the question on to the lines community:

I’d be willing to loan my monome 128 to you guys if you want to try and make it happen.

3 Likes

Man that would be so awesome! Monome + Organelle!

1 Like

I’m going to take a look at this. I have a 128 GrayScale and an Organelle and I’m really interested in getting them to talk to eachother!

Cool! Let me know if you run into any trouble. Likely between yourself, myself and the rest of the llllllll.co/monome.org crew, we can sort it out.

Ok so I’ve got both libmonome and serialosc installed successfully, but still haven’t been able to connect over serial.

According to the monome linux docs:

You’ll also need to have the usbserial and ftdi_sio kernel modules loaded before connecting your monome."

After running lsmod, I see that usbserial isn’t there

arc4                   12695  2
rt2800usb              27448  0
rt2x00usb              21204  1 rt2800usb
rt2800lib              80945  1 rt2800usb
rt2x00lib              52781  3 rt2x00usb,rt2800lib,rt2800usb
mac80211              332692  3 rt2x00lib,rt2x00usb,rt2800lib
cfg80211              218867  2 mac80211,rt2x00lib
crc_ccitt              12824  1 rt2800lib
rfkill                 24174  3 cfg80211
ftdi_sio               35579  0
ir_lirc_codec          13150  0
lirc_dev               20316  1 ir_lirc_codec
ir_mce_kbd_decoder     13047  0
ir_sanyo_decoder       12721  0
gpio_ir_recv           13139  0
sch_fq_codel           17578  6
ir_sony_decoder        12718  0
ir_rc6_decoder         12715  0
ir_rc5_sz_decoder      12724  0
ir_rc5_decoder         12715  0
ir_nec_decoder         12715  0
ir_jvc_decoder         12715  0

So maybe the usbserial module isn’t installed? Perhaps I’m running into a similar issue as the following:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1566230

I believe usbserial is built in. When you plug the monome in does it show up in /dev as /dev/ttyUSB0 or similar?

Hi Owneo!

Yes, it shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0. If that means usbserial is loaded, then perhaps it’s an issue with libmonome or serialosc, the monome softwares. Although they seem to be installing correctly… Curiouser and curiouser… I feel like I’m close.

Oh BTW I’ve also installed the [comport] external, which appears to be installed correctly – but when I plugin the monome it prints this error in the PD window:

[comport] ** ERROR ** could not get termios-structure of device at /dev/ttyS0
[comport] opening serial port 0 failed!

Which is curious because the monome is at /dev/ttyUSB0, so perhaps an unrelated error and the monome is simply not showing up.

Oops, looks like I’m getting somewhere with [comport]

[comport] set_baudrate: Setting baud rate to 230400 with baudbits 0x1003
[comport] opened serial line device 4 (/dev/ttyUSB0)

Baby steps. Sorry for spamming the thread every little step of the way. :slight_smile:

that is strange… is serialosc running at same time? also you probably want to plug in monome then start Pd.

attached is a simple patch to do serial OSC right from Pd. I’ve used it with an Arduino. If the monome device sends and receives OSC over serial using SLIP encoding, this might work…

serial-osc.pd (385 Bytes)
o.io.slipserial.pd (273 Bytes)

Hey now, now we’re getting somewhere. I’ve got LED’s lighting up! That’s a good sign. I’m gonna keep cracking at it!

A bit offtopic, but when I unplug and plug a USB cable, PD automatically closes. Is there a way to change this behavior?

Pd doesn’t like it when MIDI devices disappear, so we decided to just have Pd quit if any USB devices get removed. This script gets called automatically when a USB device is removed

/root/scripts/usb-dev-removed.sh

To stop this behavior, you can rename or remove this script. First you have to remount the root file system because it is read only. You can do this by running

mount / -o remount,rw
1 Like

Alright! It’s working! I’ve moved everything to a repo. View the README for setup and install.

5 Likes

I’ve updated the README in the repo, added some Patches, and still updating the dependencies as I clean up. If anyone tries this and runs into issues, let me know.

Over all big success! Monome looks like it’s working with Organelle! :thumbsup: Not bad for a day or two of enjoyable hacking. :slight_smile:

Now I’ll set up a script to launch serialosc on boot, and some other small niceties. Really looking forward to using these two devices together!

3 Likes

Holy crap! Best christmas present ever!
Will test this with my 256 when I get home after new years!

2 Likes

Thank you for such a great job. Will try it out (hope i will handle it;) asap. Have a great end of year.

2 Likes