Small Keyboard and Mouse compatiblitiy

Hi,

finally got the organelle! and I’m now getting some missing elements to edit on the organelle itself. I’m looking at getting a small keyboard and mouse wireless that is both compatible with the organelle and mac os. My guess is that the keyboard should be compatible with linux os? Looking around ebay, I came up with these.
any ideas of anyone using it and working well on both platforms?

or

The description on both the keyboard says that it works on mac…

Might sound like a silly question, but what should the keyboard be compatible with? Linux, Raspberry Pi, Windows?

they should, most USB keyboard/mice are ‘USB HID’ compliant (HID = human interface device)

just check that it doesn’t say you need to install drivers on mac/pc and you should be ok.

that said I have a small wireless USB keyboard/mouse combo (http://www.riitek.com/product/i8.html) which whilst it works on the Organelle has a nasty habit of ‘dropping out’, so ended up getting a wired keyboard/mouse.
The Rii worked fine as far as I could tell on a rPI, so not quite sure what was going on with the Organelle, and I admit I didnt have the inclination to track down the issue, as I just got a wired full-size keyboard/mouse combo that worked fine with the Organelle… and for the use I had was better to have a bigger keyboard - and the Rii was moved over to my rPI.

anyway, upshot is yes it’ll probably work fine…
but I just wanted to add a disclaimer/mention id have issues with the Rii mini 8 :wink:

thanks technobear for the advice!

yes i was tempted on that Rii keyboard. Just a little too small for me. But good to know about the simple requirements for keyboards and mouse. Onwards to ebay!

which keyboard/mouse combo do you use? i’m looking for something wired that won’t take up both ports… any suggestion? thanks!

I bought a Perixx 318.

whilst I do use it for the Organelle occasionally (*) , I primarily bought it as general purpose backup keyboard, which I use when remote connections fail, or I’m installing/configuring new OS’s (before the network stack is up)
Its certainly comfortable to use, bit big for travelling , and I do find the trackball a bit too sensitive … so possibly Id get a trackpad version if i bought again.

funny, when I was checking which model it was, only just realised it has 2 usb ports, which is kind of handy :slight_smile:

really any keyboard should work fine, so look for one the size you want - and perhaps that has an integrated hub. which is useful given many organelle users have a wifi card and a usb card they are using.

(*) I don’t really do much development on the Organelle directly, mostly I use a remote connection over Wifi.

thanks. after a bit of research, i’m looking to work with your vnc software instead. does your tigervnc patch run over the ap connection?

yes, works fine.

I tried a couple of wireless keyboards that I have, in the manual it mentions reporting compatible/non compatible here on the forum, so here goes:

Logitech K600 - Does not work, at least out of the box using the supplied USB dongle. Might be able to work with some config possibly, did not check.

Logitech K400 - Works straight out of the box, plug in the USB dongle and it works, both keyboard and the track pad. Note that by default the trackpad has tap/click enabled, this can be a bit annoying when not wanted, but it can be turned off by holding function and pressing the left button under track pad, it toggles on off with each press of function and left mouse button, and the state isn’t saved between power cycle, so you need to do it each time when first using if you want it off as the default is tap/click on.