Test patch environment?

Is there a development environment to run/test/develop ETC patches on a mac? (Sometimes I don’t have the ETC with me.)

no but you could create one, basically its pygame, plus a few python modules…

I got it running on my Linux Ubuntu box pretty easily after doing OTC.
(I didn’t want to put it on the mac, as Ive other python dependent software running, that I didn’t want to interfere with)
sorry i don’t have time to detail the ins and outs (as id also have to test it to be happy to publish anything) … but if you look at my OTC package for the Organelle, that will give you most of the information you need to know :wink:

pygame on raspi/linux is really straightforward. I have it on both as i prepare for my dive into pygame.
i am going to start with a particle system and next month i am getting an ETC!! :slight_smile:

Oh YESSSSSSsssssssssssssss!!!

Anyone familiar with WING? https://wingware.com/

OK, I have Pygame installed on my mac and was able to successfully run the “aliens” game. Now, how do I go about testing/running a mode for the ETC?

i am interested in this as well

I ran several pygame examples on my mac and my raspberry but i need to get comfy on pygame
I have used python alot for Pymol a research tool i use din grad school and PyBeat but i need to get a working environment too

I’ll share here as we develop this for users

Maybe @oweno will send my ETC early! haha

I got python/pygame installed with the instructions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Cl4Crg7FE

ok, if you have that running, then the best thing to do , is grab OTC_Mother, which is just the python side of the ETC. look at the run script, and you will see how to specify where the modes are :wink:

next your issue is , how do i control it? i.e. buttons/knobs.
what i do , and another reason to use OTC_Mother, is to use OscProxy, this way i can use my Organelle to control the ETC mode running on another machine.

… of course you could also use a midi controller, that may need a bit of hacking… or at least checking the manual/source code, to see what the relevant midi is… or if all buttons are supported.

this should be enough for a hack it yourself endeavour…

Hi

Does it matter whether I use the python version on the ETC (which is 2.2.7. as far as I remember), or can I use the latest python version (3.6.something). Same with the pygame version.

I think the usual methods for the ETC are that rudimentary, that there shouldn’t be any difference. But maybe in handling images (movies?).

Regards
Florian

EDIT: ok I can answer myself: appearently python3 has different synthax
example: print"bla" works in V2, but in V3 it must be print("bla")

So you need python2

And just another experience: it seems to be useless to try it on Windows, because the ETC uses the module liblo / open sound control, which is as Posix (aka Unixoids) standard…

yup python2…

you can do posix stuff on windows, but for sure its a pain… probably as easy to have a Linux vm.

pygame, same version or keep an eye out for api changes.

as with all cross-platform dev, test regularly, there are always quirks on different platforms - and they are easier to spot early on.

honestly, though, if this is just for modes, i don’t think your going to hit many issues, as you say its all pretty rudimentary.

I think I’m actually going to setup my mac as well now, so that i can use it for grabbing etc visuals… so i don’t have to go any buy a video capture device :wink:

Only my local workstation is Windows. I have enough Linux machines here around (to be honest a complete Datacenter… :wink: ) so no trouble in this regard.