Capture : record/resample stereo audio from almost any patch

Thanks for your interest! :slight_smile:

I don’t have any problem running 2.0 but i can’t stop thinking about improvements… hopefully i will release a 2.1 next month, here’s a list of what i have in mind (but it doesn’t mean i’ll be able to make all to happen) :

• combine the 2 Capture(s) patches into 1 (done)
  • combine the Orac “capture (16/24bit)” modules into 1 (done)
  • slightly improve the oscilloscope (done)
  • fix the freeze time when loading captures with the “captures” module (module removed)
  • toggle mono/stereo recording and playback modes (i probably won’t do it)
  • toggle 44.1khz, 48khz and 96khz modes (i released Audio Setup for this, compatible with Capture)
  • some Compression parameters (done)
  • maybe add a hidden screen page accessible from any patch when Capture is active (with these settings mentionned like patch input vol/gain, compressor release, bitdepth, …)
  • maybe replace the combination to record by a smarter one (if i find one)
  • create a script to update the module from the Organelle Extra Menu when connected to Internet via wifi (done)
  • would love to add a Lissajous curve and/or other monitoring tools

I think the best would be to include everything possible into the Extra Menu, is it possible to make a script to call / run a patch and vice versa ? (done)

If anyone have suggestions… :v:

1 Like

You can, but running 2 Pd processes might be problematic , as I’ve a feeling the kill script might be killing all pd processes.
( I’m not 100% sure without checking , as I’d also changed over to killing based on pid and can’t remember if i left in the killall pd as a failsafe)

1 Like

Thanks again, actually i’m able to launch a patch in /System from a script but it only opens when the GUI (startx) is active, it doesn’t work when the Organelle is on its own. I know i’m missing something because i have to specify the audio settings in the command line for opening the patch correctly, i guess there’s a way to open a .pd file the way the Organelle does, can i ask someone for help about this please…? :pray:

Here my script :

#!/bin/bash

USER_DIR=${USER_DIR:="/sdcard"}
SCRIPTS_DIR=$FW_DIR/scripts

$SCRIPTS_DIR/killpatch.sh

pd -r 44100 -audiobuf 10 $USER_DIR/System/Capture/Capture(s)/Capture.pd

the system menu is only coded to look for python and shell scripts (not pure data)

if you want this to run without the gui , you will need to add -nogui
also to have reliably audio you will need to run it as a real time process (-rt)

also as I mentioned previously, if your plan is for this to run in the background with another patch running , then this is not going to work well.

a) when you switch patches, this will also get killed due to the killall pd in the killpatch.sh script which is called when switching patches
b) performance on organelle-1 will probably be poor since it only has one core. on the organelle-m it might be ok… as it has multiple cores.

btw: how are you capturing the audio from the other (patch) PD process?

have you looked at ffmpg i believe this has the option to capture audio?

1 Like

Thank you! This script is just to launch the Capture patch from /System the same way precedent versions does from /Patches, i don’t have intentions to run multiple PD processes at the same time, for that i put a “killpatch.sh” at the beginning of the script, so far everything seems to work well i just wasn’t able to run it without the GUI active, it works with -nogui and -rt. :slight_smile:

Capture still works the same way by putting a mother.pd file into /System , i have no plan for this to change.

I’ve just updated to 2.1 , didn’t spend much time on the Orac modules yet (this will be for 2.2), but i worked on many improvements (some mentionned) and some fixes…

Details up there and on the patchstorage page. :point_up_2:

Updated to 2.2 (see up there) :v:

1 Like

you are free to create these directories in your install script. (deploy.sh)

orac will install fine if they are already created, and will not overwrite contents.

personally, Id like them to be installed into a sample/kit, that way you could then load them up into one of the samplers and use. thats kind of the point of having samples in the same place across patches.
so users don’t have to start moving things around…

also, when I introduced these in OS 3.x,
the other motivation is that if patches adopted the ‘standard’ , then an end-user could just backup media/data and know that they have backed up all their samples and presets for all patches.
this is very useful if you have to ‘re-image’ your sd-card or you use multiple usb-sticks.

1 Like

Since the beginning i wanted to use these /data and /media folders as a standard, but my precedent releases were not creating them so i guess it wasn’t working for some people… then i’ve been afraid that if someone re-installs or updates Orac it might affect Capture, but if you tell me i can use/create these folders without risks, then i’ll work on my scripts to use them again :slight_smile: Thanks

i totally agree, that’s the reason captures were placed into /media at first, and also the first reason why i included an Orac sampler module (based on sampletwig) : to play with captures without having to move files around. But fitting captures into a kit folder might be problematic because i think samplers that uses them are limited to 24 samples, while the captures count can never stop growing…

1 Like

Another thing to consider is that sometimes it’s useful to be able to name samples and view the file names - sampletwig/polytwig allow for this and for many use cases it’s really beneficial.

Having a standard is incredibly useful - and the kit folder idea is incredibly well thought out, designed, and implemented - but having some exceptions to this standard is also nice! Personally with something like capture I would see myself wanting to go back and reorganize a kit anyway, even if new samples did directly save to a kit folder.

Now on the other hand, if someone is using Capture in a live performance context, I can see why having samples immediately available in an orac kit would be important. Maybe there’s a way to include an option so that the user can choose if samples save to an orac kit, or to a separate “capture” directory?

1 Like

the captures files names are the thing that annoys me the most about Capture actually, i don’t like having to keep them named from 1.wav to x.wav , the “captures” sampler module can show different file names just like “sampletwig” does, but the Capture patch and recorder can’t handle it… i’d like to fix this, i must investigate because i don’t know how to do yet.

i agree, i didn’t really thought about using Capture for resampling in a live situation (because of the delay when loading captures for example), but why not… the idea of an option to save in different folders looks tricky but interesting, nothing is impossible so i’ll work on it. :v:

1 Like

i made it :fist:

I’ve uploaded a new Capture module for Orac that lets you select the destination folder (between /captures and /samples/kit-1-24 , yeah by the way i extended the kits folder to 24, i thought it’s a logical evolution, the Organelle has 24 keys, for 24 samples, why not having 24 kits, hopefully it could become the new standard and in the future we could select a kit with a combination like aux + keys, kinda like an op-z…), more details on patchstorage → Capture (module) | Patchstorage

PatchScreen

That’s fire :fire: - glad the suggestion resonated with you!

1 Like

Hello :v:

I’ve moved the project to sourceforge because i updated to 2.4 with a new “Update” feature …

Wow this sounds super cool! Just went to download it but there appears to be an error loading Patchstorage website?

Anyone else getting this?

Sorry to post on this feed…

1 Like

thanks! here’s the download link : Capture (Organelle) download | SourceForge.net

i couldn’t make my Update script to work with Patchstorage so i move it to Sourceforge, and because i didn’t want to update the files on 2 different places i deleted the file from Patchstorage (but not the page, its description should link to the sourceforge page) :v:

EDIT : the Patchstorage website looks like to work for me

1 Like

Nevermind… It appears to be okay now! The PS website keep saying error BUT equally good to know the above! thank you…

1 Like

@electrafa This looks really cool. Is there a link to the source code?

Kind regards

Stephen

1 Like

thanks! actually the only way to access files/code without installing is by downloading the .zop file (here), rename it to .zip and unzip it the way you want. :v:

1 Like

Hey,
I’m really excited about Capture. To be able to record directly on the organelle whatever happens on it seems very essential to me. So thank you very much @electrafa for this!

I now downloaded the zop file and put it in the patches folder. But I cannot start the Capture Mode by pressing holding the encoder and pressing the AUX button.

I activate Capture, open a synth press the button comination… what did I miss?

thanks for your help.

1 Like