Current state of the Roli Seaboard block (MPE?) compatability

Just had an Organelle arrive last week, and I’m looking for a really fun controller for both general use, and potentially to pair up with the Organelle.

The Roli Seaboard block looks like a reallllllllly fun addition, I think it can do straight midi and if your device supports it, you can do all the fancy pitch bending and slides with the right configuration.

How’s the Organelle support out of the box? Most I could find it seemed was this thread: Seaboard/MPE midi which of course the amazing @thetechnobear had seemed to get some patches to work.

Any insight or direction, or is it a safe buy and won’t be too difficult to work in the pitch bends, slides, pressure sensitivity or have them working in existing patches (map each to the four params depending on the patch?).

Likely selling my Mother-32 and would like to use the proceeds on something I can use standalone or with my OP-1, Organelle, OP-Z. And the Seaboard block just looks too darn fun…

Thanks!

once you know bit of PD its not too difficult to convert polyphonic patches into MPE patches.

if you grab one of mine, you’ll get the gist of how to do it.

basic principle is polyphonic patches will have a voice sub-patch, fed by the poly object to do voice allocation.
you need to replace this poly object with some logic which uses the midi channel instead to determine the voice, from there its just matter of adding x,y,z as inlets, then in the voice patch doing what you want.

you’ll see that’s pretty much all Ive done.
(the only slightly tricky bit, is getting the voice allocation logic, but that you can just copy from my patch)

Ive yet to work out how I’m going to add this to orac, its definitely something Id like to add, in a way that module developers don’t need to think about MPE - but its a non-trivial problem.
first step, might be to supply a way that mpe aware modules can be written.

I don’t know the seaboard very well, but I do generally think MPE controllers are a good match with the organelle - the organelles keys are ‘convenient’ but not expressive, and the organelles flexibility allows for great sound design possibilities.

p.s. I think @junklight has a seaboard (not sure if its a block or not) , or if he has done any PD patches on the organelle with it.

1 Like

I’ve not made anything specific myself but from what I remember the MPE patches worked fine with it.

I Should make an MPE version of my Orac stringmachine patch…

MPE is very cool and brings a lot of very natural feeling control to electronic music. Loads of fun. I have the Rise not the block. I suspect if I was buying now I would go block just because it is more portable. (That said current plan is to buy a linnstrument at some point because i’m Into grids at the moment with the monome and the push2 but that’s another story…)

1 Like

Fantastic! Sounds like it’s a safe buy… and it looks like you can reallllly stretch its capability just through MIDI as seen here driving a Mother-32 by taking it out of MPE mode so it’s only sending MIDI notes. Looks like out of MPE mode it could also work really well with non MPE patches. Time will tell I guess? Time to find a buyer for my Mother-32 and go for the Searboard block… Barnes and Noble down the road sells them, exercising a lot of restraint right now not going and grabbing one just yet!

Can you get the roli’s to send their expressive values as a cc and map them to orac using kontrol?

you can map the sliders
but you cannot map independent fingers, since this is per channel/voice
(this doesn’t work on any soft synth that I’ve ever used :wink: )

the patch needs to be coded to understand that certain modulations are per voice, and some may be global.
(see my post above)

That, you can do on a per key basis on a CME Xkey (in the editor you can choose MIDI ch and CC number)
example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJc1o3NJHY8&t=3s
Sorry for the off topic instrument thought…