How does the trigger work for the orac port of clouds?

So I’ve been feeding my sax and other things into Clouds. Currently as follows:

A1: Overloop
A2: Clouds

So I see the trigger on/off dial. How would I go about sending a trigger into clouds? I tried putting a drum sequencer in front of it for a (i.e. sequencer in A2, clouds in A3) but no luck.

Hey _kd,

you’re going to need to send a CC-Value of >64 to the trigger knob. Clds will then sow a single grain as long as density is set around 50 (if it is set around 0 or 100 clds will autonomously sow more and more grains in a linear vs random fashion).
A use case would be to have a pad on a midi controller set to output a momentary value of 127 when pressed an to use midi learn to map it to the trigger knob. Clds will then sow a grain every time the pad is pressed. Other useful ideas are midi lfos or automations.

slomad

Awesome, thank you. I knew it would be something like that but couldn’t join the dots in my head.

it should be working with note input.

notes can be used not only to fire trigs, but also to alter pitch.

note sure, why its not working for you…

basically you want
trig = off,
density = 50

size… you want this large, since obviously we are only launching one trig.

also if you place it after a ‘synth’ , then you’ll need to turn on note thru for the slot in the router module.

1 Like

ok, so just tested this… indeed this does work with notes.
( I tried with external input, and using euclid/grids → clouds)

however, Ive notice theres a couple of (minor) bugs

if you look at the above,
a) using velocity for pitch (oops… should be taking first param from unpack)

b) the trig on/off is a bit odd :wink:
basically its using note on/off to trig thats kinda ok, but it won’t work if you start sending in polyphonic notes… really it should be taking the velocity, compare to zero, and using that for trig.
… of course, its not really going to work for poly, since its a monophonic fx… but results would be a little more ‘predictable’…

but in practice, I found I could make this work nicely with Euclid and Grids
(you’ll want to set velocity low ;)… 0 preferable, but if that doesn’t work try 1 .

anyway, with a little fiddling of sequencer parameters , I found I could get rhythmic results as expected.