Modules for the Orac

Nice modules! getting some neat sounds with buffrshufflr.

It looks like clockswingx is sending 0 to ‘master-bpm’ , so seqsync cant determine the right BPM.
There are some divide ( [/ ] ) objects with no second inputs before the outlets of the metro subpatch that might be causing that.

I’ll think about the velocity control for polystep, I do like having it as one knob for original/override though.
One workaround would be to record the sequence with the input velocity override set to 1

hey thx for the ideas, also, wow, the new orac modules, excited to try these!
The play/stop is great to have, I’m not always the best with timing though, so to bring in a part to line up with another sequencer, it’s safer for me to just bring it in via a volume control.
I’ll have to try the polystep+seq sync :smiley:

ohhhhhh I didn’t realize that the 0 was “preserve record velocity” and the rest of the values basically erase your recorded velocity. Would it be hard to add a master volume parameter?

what I’m actually doing as a workaround is using the note thru on/off (in the router) from polystep module, but sometimes if I turn it off at the wrong time I’m left with ‘hanging notes’

recording w input velocity at 1 is also a good workaround - for this particular circumstance though I’m using the record velocity to create dynamics for the part

edit: I just realized I wasn’t thinking very clearly as a master volume won’t work before there’s any audio :man_facepalming: - it makes a whole lot more sense to add a volume parameter to the thing being sequenced

Ive replaced buffershufflr, spectralwarper, glassfm and clockswingx with new versions. Sorry for the false start folks, the fx patches now have a sweet crossfade, glassfm has a proper transpose parameter and clockswing now works as it should.
Thanks for your help and awesome patches @WyrdAl

2 Likes

Putting it out there as I’m not that advanced on pd, but would be great to have LFO Delay done for orac. The manipulation options with both LFOs and especially the fact you can assign and record sequences with altering feedback values makes it to me the best delay patch on the organelle (by far).

If anyone fancies having a go, would be superb :–)

https://github.com/Wannop/wannoporacmodules/blob/master/F-lfodelay.zip

Added it just now @Vasco, let me know if there are any problems.

Edit: the LFOdelay patch has no internal sequencer now, but just place any sequencer module ahead of it e.g. Polybeats, polystep, seq2, seqsync

I think it would be cool to make a kinda reverb equivalent to this. Maybe like the first octave could be reverb size and the second octave… dry wet? (or some kind of pan L to R for the wet signal) Would freeverb be a good choice to work with?

Whaat, wasn’t expecting such a quick reply :–) Thanks so much!!

By the way – i know how to install .zop modules on the orac, but not .zip ones, what’s the trick?

Not a big reverb user, so not sure what the best one is. But I agree, think it’s a good effect technique in general to add to processing effects. Makes the outcome a lot less ‘square’.

You just have to unzip the patch with your computer and drop the file in ORAC folder.

I like what aphex twin did with ‘t69 collapse’ which features a lot of automated reverb shrinking and expanding kinda sounds.
Any users know of a good spring reverb pd patch to use in another version?

Yeah, that reverb idea would be nice.

I guess it would also be cool to somehow be able to manipulate the effect sequence order so it’s not always the high frequency sounds that get the maximum processing/feedback/wetness, not sure how to accomplish that though…maybe another page within the effect module to allow for some editing/manipulation of it?

Just tried the LFO delay on orac. Beautiful, thanks again.

Here is The Constant Gardener Patch for Orac.

https://patchstorage.com/f-constant-g/

1 Like

Yeah, that reverb idea would be nice

Well, it’s ready now!

I has some time to play around on some of these modules. WOW! putting the LFO stuff on GlassFM was a fantastic idea, as are all those LFO additions!

Amazing stuff! Keep going!

Thanks! The lfos in glassfm were actually @rawticks handiwork, but i did add lfos to just about anything i could. I think they make a big difference in the MI patches. Looking forward to @thetechnobear’s 1.1 update with modulation modules, which might render my lfo updates redundant :slight_smile:
I’m going to focus on using the keys for modulation of parameters in a bunch of new effects modules i think. I like sudden, drastic sonic changes sometimes.

1 Like

is there currently any live audio monitoring / input S module for Orac?

There is live monitoring by default i think no? Handled in the R routing modules.

id say the supplied modules do this yes… modules are suppose to pass thru the audio

if you want to here the input audio without effects, then you could use an additional chain.
e.g. use 2x4+2
in the first chain, do whatever you want, and then use chain 2 as the monitor chain.
(remember to turn up the audio input gain on both chains as required :slight_smile: )

as a complete aside,

this is an area im playing with in Orac 1.1, and i’ll admit Im struggling to find the right balance between flexibility and use-ability. 1.0 was nice and simple, so users didn’t need to think about it, but was not very flexible , and prone to modules ‘doing the right thing’.

it feels like it really passing audio thru or not, should be a infrastructure thing…
so, as I currently have it in 1.1, each module slot (so in the router) can turn on audio thru or not… by default its on (as you want the audio flow down the entire chain)
BUT this is a bit of a pain with FX modules, because often they have a MIX control.
so really you want audio thru OFF, as your getting (part of) the dry signal from the mix, so you don’t want to double that up.
but I don’t really want users ro have to remember to switch audio thru on/off… so still not sure, this is how it’ll end up.

I would love for the audio IN and the audio from module to module to be routed independently without need of creating a new chain [/codeheadache]

1 Like

We should encourage modifications to all synth/drum/voiced/whatever patches to include an individual crossfade (with previous module signal) function after 1.1 I guess. Think it’d be for the best and provide even more flexibility. That’s the strength of orac. Still can’t tell you how much of game changer this platform is for organelle man :pray:
Watched the recent critter instagram video featuring 3 organelles in sequence with constant gardener loaded and thought… “I could do this with orac!”

1 Like