Modules for the Orac

@Wannop yes, for sure!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqSpZgOnPOw/

Ahhhh I see got it, I just had to adjust the in/ out gain. I’m having no problems but I look forward to seeing those updates :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @WyrdAl, thanks you so much for your very cool modules.
I’m sorry but I don’t get how audio2midi works : do you have a small explanation ?

Thanks !

Audio2Midi uses pd’s built in ‘fiddle~’ pitch estimator, which I believe looks for the biggest sinusoid component. The fiddle~ help file has more explanation of how it works.

1 Like

@junklight Is your ansible/kria module for orac still in the plan?

Thanks again for your work on meadowphysics— I’m new to organelle and grid and have been having so much fun!

1 Like

Hi. Yeah. Life became complicated for a while (not least having a cardiac arrest & a heart bypass ) but all settling down again after moving house & career readjustment.

I’ve ported Kira to lua for the Norns. Next step is lua external for PD that provides similar grid environment to Norns. I’m expecting that bit to be straight forward TBH. Bear with me a little while longer & I will get to it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh & some one has ported ansible meadow physics to lua too so that should work as well…

1 Like

Take care @junklight !

2 Likes

Oh! Yeah, life comes first for sure. Glad to hear that you’re on the mend and there’s a rhythm resuming.

Really looking forward to it, but plenty to keep me/us occupied in the meantime.

:grin:

2 Likes

what is the difference between a standard PD organelle patch and a Orac module?

i understand they work differently, but is the coding process different?

A little bit. The technobear has made some detailed videos on how to convert patches to modules, (you can find them on his YouTube channel I believe! ) also, check out the forum threads :Orac 1.0, and orac module developers guide.

But to answer your question briefly…

Orac modules need a module.json file to work. Understanding how to use this file is critical to making a module. It’s covered in the video I spoke of. This file is important because it lists parameters, and organizes pages, and determines the minimum and maximum values/ range of the knobs. This is different from normal patches, where all those parameters and pages have to be dealt with inside the pure data file. I actually prefer the module work flow nowadays.

The biggest tip I can give you, coming from someone who had absolutely no coding experience before : look at simple modules. The tremelo module is a pretty easy one i think. Investigate what is going on. Learn where/ how the audio flows…

Look at the module.json files too! Can you find where the parameters listed in module.json are in the accompanying module.pd file?

And compare that module to another fx module, such as the delay module. Look at what’s similar. What is different?

Again, that video is really important! It’ll do far more for you to watch it then anything I can explain!

3 Likes

now i did the unforgivable and ask question in two different threads, but here goes:

can ORAC 2.0 be opened in the Mac Pure Data app, or is it compiled to be opened on Organelle?
can modules be opened on pc/mac or just in organelle?

A quick and probably unsatisfying answer:

I don’t know if you can use Orac 2.0 on mac…maybe… but its beyond me and I don’t know how.

But you can edit/prepare/create modules on mac to be used on the organelle running Orac. This is what I do.

But All these pure data files can be opened on mac, by the way, just click them and open them…Might help to know what you’re trying to do?

2 Likes

thanks. does a module for orac have a specific file-suffix?
or is a module a PD-file?
is .zop a PD-file?

oh also. good idea to start with orac 1. realized there are parts there that explains the process even more

Well, I would say a module has basically 2 parts- the module.json file and the accompanying module.pd file (along with any other PD sub patches/externals.)These two “talk” with each other.

So a module has primarily 2 parts, and these are packaged in a single folder.

It’s fairly common for people to zip this folder for sharing.

It’s a renamed .zip file, which presents as an installable amongst your modules on the Organelle. Telling the menu to install that module will unpack it and place the resulting files where they belong.

I’m not entirely sure why this is cleaner than you extracting the files manually, but it does seem to idiot-proof things.

If you’re opening the files on your computer for some reason, you will want to rename the .zop file to .zip for extraction.

I don’t know that I recommend trying to run Orac on your mac. It is theoretically possible, but completely undocumented.

Orac 2 is cross platform, currently supported on Organelle, Raspberry Pi w/ Blokas PiSound, Bela Salt, and the QuBit Nebula. Of those, I’d say the Organelle is least similar to your mac, and thus the install process is least compatible with what you’ll need to accomplish.

There are separate threads for Orac here, on llllllll.co, on polyexpression.com, and on the blokas forum. As above, I would recommend moving your non-Organelle questions to one of those. Probably llllllll.co is the most appropriate, with polyexpression a good second choice.

I do 99% of development work of Orac on the Mac, so yes it works fine on the mac,

BUT you will need
a) to have the mac version of any externals that your modules are using (and the Orac, which you can find on my repo)
b) you will need some way of interacting with the orac patch/modules, this you can do with MEC (which also can run on the mac) , either using a Push 2 or the newer OscRemoteClients.

at this time, Ive chosen not to official “support” the mac, for a couple of reasons
time… its time consuming enough supporting rPI/Bela and Organelle, every extra platform needs building, releasing, testing - which can really add up!
I don’t think there is sufficient demand to cover that extra ‘support time’ that’s needed.
It’s not really a primary goal of Orac… PD/Macs have so much great software, including virtual modulars, I don’t really see that Orac adds that much to the ecosystem - it’d just be ‘one more thing’.

so … really if people want to use it on a Mac/PC, the software is all open source, so it can be done, but I really would prefer not to have get involved explain how to build it, find the relevant externals used by some modules (and potentially build them) - sorry, theres only so many hours in day :wink:

.zop files, are compressed zip files - but have a few differences:
a) they have a manifest (contents list) , which is compared one its unzipped - to detect any kind of corruption.early on the Organelle has issues with large files that were stored on unreliable USB sticks, so we wanted to resolve this.
b) they can have a ‘deploy’ script, that can carry out actions other than just unzip the file.
this is very important, almost all my releases do something other than just unzip the zop file, e.g. orac creates the media directories … just unzipping it will not work.

as @greaterthanzero has pointed out, using the ZOP file is inappropriate for the mac for a few reasons.
a) the environment you need is very different for the mac
b) all the externals are compiled for ARM, and you need mac externals (.pd_darwin)
as above , the only way to do this, is to go directly to my GitHub repos.

I’ll say upfront, an experienced developer should be able to quite easily build and find whats necessary, but i think a non-developer might struggle - this is what I mean by not ‘officially supporting’ it , Ive not really made any attempt to make it easier for non-developers.

1 Like

Hi all,

I took a shot at converting audio flow~ into a module for orac 2.0 .

You’ll find some differences from the organelle patch / pd patch, some of which didn’t quite turn out as expected…Particularly the Play direction control - which doesn’t necessarily keep the same pitch when changed, is a bit of a disappointment.

Anywho - I don’t know if/when I’ll work on it more but I figured I would share it anyways as it is “usable” (albeit pretty experimental :wink:)

Audioflow.zip (15.7 KB)

(I encourage others to modify it as you wish! not even my own patch. I apologize in advance for the messy pd file)

2 Likes

Would it be difficult to mod the Moog LFO cutoff to be more gradual at the beginning of the curve? I’m having a little trouble using it to get smooth filter fade ins. Any suggestions on the best way to do this most welcome :slight_smile:

Also curious if it’d be possible to incorporate this filter into an existing module, say Basic Mono/Poly. I’m thinking of moving transpose to the second page and having cutoff and resonance on the first page (with a fixed rate and depth). This way you could control decay, waveform, and filter without having to change modules.

Edit: actually thinking more… could waveform be moved to aux as selector? Then could also fit that that gate/note-length on main page

1 Like