Ofelia

I’m posting this here because because i’ve just stumbled upon a new(ish) PD external lib that blew my mind away and i think it should get more attention because it is really something. It’s called Ofelia, done by Zack Lee and it makes openFrameworks available within PD. Check it out!

I bet @shreeswifty would know a thing or two about this.

Ive been looking at OpenFrameworks in the last few weeks :slight_smile: (for the graphics side)

the thing is it has quite a lot of dependancies (on other libraries), and the archlinux we have on the Organelle is quite old… so the main effort is to find the correct combination of ofx and its dependancies that will not break the arch linux we have installed.
I started having a quick look at this, but realised to take the next step Id have to move to a new SD card, so that if/when I broke things, I could rollback to try again.

its one of those things, you might be lucky and find v8 of ofx (similar age as our arch linux build) and its dependancies just fit together nicely, and its a simple process - or you might be unlucky, and spend days fumbling around with dependencies to find a set that work…

(note: its easy with a rPI, because 1) ofx supports it 2) you can just use the latest version of everything)

but for sure, ofx is very cool - and on my radar :slight_smile:

I have been playing with it today on Mac. It doesnt seem like there is a lot to choose form on the audio side. In the library that comes with it there is only a sine wave osc and a filter example and that is it on the audio side.

But its really new to me and dont know anything about lua scripts. I guess if one knows how to do scripting etc. there is probably alot more to choose from, but I am not sure how it works. Maybe over time some more examples will show up :slight_smile:

@thetechnobear; yes, dependancie-limbo will be likely on the Organelle. And for now i think it would maybe be overkill. But for sure a thing to keep an eye on. I think the inline Lua layer alone could really be something to have on Organelle. B.t.w. and totaly off topic; thanks SO much for Orac. It’s incredible!
@Jaffasplaffa; it’s all about opening up openFrameworks on PD. On Ofelia the amount of OF audio classes that have been put in PD abstractions is very limited. But the graphics/video side is already such great news, especially on a mac where GEM is getting fastly outdated. You can get a good feel for what is to come when checking: https://openframeworks.cc/documentation/

openframeworks is more about visuals (imo) than sound generation.

I was looking at it more as an alternative to pygame/etc.
…that said, im not too interested in PD bindings, as i find it quicker to do these kind of things with procedural languages (c++/python/lua could all be options) ,
but PD would allow for quick integration with audio input for responsive visuals, so its definitely some to look at.

@Vork_Heftruck yeah…
I was looking at open frameworks on the Organelle, as I think it will be more efficient, and probably make better use of the GPU than pygame BUT the concern is, if we can’t get the right versions of libs, even if we get it to run, it may be non-accelerated and so some of the performance gains might be loss.

anyway…my current plan is to get a bit more familiar with open frameworks on both the mac and rPI, and then once i decided im more interested in following up on it, then I’ll be in a better position to see if I can do something with it on the Organelle :slight_smile:

Yes it is all new to me, so if one knows how to work with lua scripts, I am sure the options are vast. Openframeworks does seem to have a lot of options. But yeah maybe over time there will be some more examples for people who dont know too much about it.

About the graphic side:
I really dont see the use cases in context with the Organelle. Graphic processing is very heavy stuff and since Organelle has fairly limited resources I dont find it super relevant in conjunction with Organelle, to be honest.

Yeah GEM is a bit outdated, all though I really dig it. But for what it is worth there was just released a 64 bit of GEM yesterday. It is not fully functioning yet, some objects not working fully yet. For now it loads and some object works, but I also got a lot of crashes. But I know IOhannes is working hard on making it work so stay tuned.

But the fact that GEM is making its way into 21 century, 64 bit, could be an indicator that some new stuff might be planned for the future, I am hoping :slight_smile:

If you search for gem in Deken, it will now give you a 64 bit version, NOT as before where you got 32 bit version from Deken. Anyway, you can also check github for issues:

Yes, and thats why I dont see much use of it in context with Organelle. I think one would be better off using it with a computer that has a lot more processing power, than Organelle does.

Anyway, merry christmas to everyone :slight_smile:

I think many of us enjoy the limited/simple but reactive visuals of the ETC (or OTC)…
I have one Organelle thats always connected to a TV in my studio, with a send from my mixer, when that Organelle is not being used for audio (fx mainly) , then I have it running OTC in the background…
I like it, as it creates a mood, and I don’t fiddle with it much , just let it run :slight_smile:

( I recognise I could run it on the mac, but often thats not even turned on… or im using the mac for recording, so prefer not to have other apps running)

For those who does that, that is great, but I prefer something a little bit more deep. Its not that kind of visuals I like. And I think Openframeworks is a bit heavier than the algos made for ETC, so I am not sure its comparable. Of course if you use only very basic stuff from Openframeworks it would probably work.

Also keep in mind, it is very few people who actually have 2 Organelles.

Anyway, I like complicated stuff, and for that I need something with more cpu and memory. All the stuff I made im GEM I am fairly happy about, brings my Macbook to its knees, so I am 100% sure Organelle won’t cut it. But yeah, every man has their own needs :slight_smile:

Here is a short clip of something I build in GEM, which takes a bit if processing power. As soon as you start to boost up the frame rate, it basically drains any cpu.

Sorry for the angryness in the video :wink:

for this I use one, as I said, its connected to the mixer so I either use it for FX/Synth, and if Im not using it for that I switch it over to OTC.
Ive tried to setup my studio so that things are always connected, the visuals are just part of that… because I found if I explicitly had to set them up, start them, I rarely actually used them…
(its why use a TV as well, I found i didn’t connect things up much when using my small projector, whereas the TV is more background mood :slight_smile: )

yeah, not explored GEM, as I got into Max and Jitter/Vizzie which I blows my mind whenever I play with it.
(Im sure GEM is similar, its just I got into Max before getting into PD, and as you say this more complex stuff is always going to run on my macs, so the PD v Max is not an ‘issue’ )

anyway definitely hope to do a bit more of this stuff in 2019 :slight_smile:

hope you have a great christmas, and you get plenty of time with family, friends and your musical explorations :slight_smile:

Yeah I guess one could have a sd card with ETC and one with regular Organelle. That would eliminate the trouble of installing a new os every time you want to use audio or video.

Yeah I think Max can do some more heavy stuff than PD can, as its paid software . But I am hoping for a new wave of GEM stuff for PD, when its fully working in 64 bit. Crossing my fingers :slight_smile:

Yes to you too Marc. Happy holidays :slight_smile:

no need for separate SD cards, OTC (ETC for Organelle) runs on the standard OrganelleOS , it runs in exactly the same way as any other patch :slight_smile: