OTC v1.5 - ETC on Organelle

I had this same issue. Try deleting a few of the modes, then try loading it again.

OK, I went through the mother.log and removed all the modes that contained an error while trying to load. Usually they were errors like the ones above. What are those errors? It took a couple of tries but I was able to find them all. OTC is now running fine. I may see if I can reload them or may just write them off as not good on my machine.

Do you mean the amount of modes in the folder or the kind of modes it can handle? Or maybe it can handle modes with images but not if there are a bunch of other modes in the folder?

Thanks, I’ll play around with it.

that’s not true… it handles the same number of images as the ETC, as has the same amount of RAM :slight_smile:

the reason this happens, is new users are tempted to go to patchstorage and install all the ETC modes there, rather than just the factory modes that would be on a new ETC that is shipped to you.
(OTC works fine with all the factory ETC modes installed)

unfortunately, one of most downloaded etc patches on patchstorage is my ‘spinning discs’ patch, which contains loads of images (and also mark’s addon images), and these contained too many images to just use ‘as is’ - the idea was the user would pick n choose the ones they liked.
but obviously for a new user, they don’t know this!

when I come back to improving OTC, what I need to do, is to add a more intelligent ‘load image’ function, which checks to see how much memory is free before loading the image, and deals with low memory properly.

Yes, that is my experience, thanks for clarifying. And…OTC is the bomb, I didn’t know how much I missed it until I got my hands on it.:wink:

Another question…I would really love to find a way to slow down it’s reaction time. Many times I don’t want it move so much, I don’t it to react to every little transient or impulse it receives. I’ve tried running a lowpass filter but it still reacts too fast for me. Any ideas?

the main way to adjust the audio input level (triggers are based on amplitude not frequency (*)),
ETC has a dedicated analog input gain for this - but organelle does not, so you have to do this externally.

(*) obviously filtering though will also affect amplitude, so this can be used to pin point frequencies that you want the mode to react too.

you can see how many triggers are happening on the status screen, and also on the info mode.

apart from that many modes have controls on the 4 knobs which might alter speed… obviously this is ‘mode specific’, as rather depends how the mode is using sound to affect its behaviour.

apart from that, you can always edit a mode, to make it reflect how you would like it to react.

the other option, is to look into using midi as a way of controlling the mode, e.g. change the mode to react to midi messages rather than (or in combination with) sound input.

all that said, I do think for a future release, it might be interesting to look at adding the ability to alter trigger levels, and/or filtering prior to detect triggers…
(the issue with filtering is I think this could be pretty cpu intensive under python which is what OTC/ETC is based on… but worth a try.)

1 Like

I just wanted to say thank you for brilliant work on otc. It changed the way I can perform live in such a perfect way. I owe you a beer or two.

2 Likes

@AdrianDel
I got a notification that you had an issue but can’t find the message now?!
The issue you had was with mode
S - Classic Horizontal + Image Single Cycle
You need to either fix the info.py , if delete the mode

*Solution = Removed the "Classic Vertical_Trails"
Any help appreciated. I’ve just been adding some of the newer Modes and spending some time chilling out on Boxing Day.

After adding the new stuff, I get the ETC screen flash up, then it goes back to the [root@organlle line.
Any ideas, noticed this in the log:

SyntaxError: EOL while scanning string literal

and

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “otc.py”, line 134, in
info = sys.modules[etc.mode + “.info”]
KeyError: ‘S - Classic Vertical-Trails.info’

you could also compare this file, with one of the other info files.

this files aren’t processed on an ETC only OTC, so sometimes they might have issues that have not been picked up.

1 Like

Will do thanks, I wondered if it didn’t like the “-” in Vertical-Trails, but have no idea.

dont think so, as the - is already used in the filename… ( S - ), i suspect its a missing quote in the info file - ive seen this before :wink:

1 Like

first of all: thank you so much @thetechnobear for developing OTC! when I first bought the organelle, the HDMI out made me think this was possible… I’m so grateful that it actually is! I installed it last week and it functions perfectly. That said, I’m eager to start coding my own modes, but found a bump in the way. I can’t seem to connect my organelle’s OTC to a wi-fi network so I can code via the web console.

I’m running 3.0 and have installed all of the OTC files (including the web installer)
I then saved the WiFi.sh with my own designated network and password to the usb’s root level. The wifi interface I’m using was bought from C&G, along with the organelle.

I guess when I enter the WiFi setup menu, it should appear my new network, but instead it shows only the custom “Network name”. I start the web browser and click on the network, but after a while it states that there’s a problem connecting.

what might be happening?

cool, your welcome…

ok, this is not really a OTC thing, so you could post in one of the ‘wifi threads’ and C&G will also help you. (they don’t monitor this OTC thread, as its not an ‘official’ project)

anyway, my first recommendation is check out the C&G video on wifi setup, its really good.

btw: its not wifi.sh , it is wifi.txt, and you also need to be careful you operating system (windows or macos) doesn’t call add anything else to the end :wink: )
if its not showing the network name its like the file cannot be found.

the other thing you can try, as a test is to try to use it as an access point (AP), this is also described in the video. this is a bit easier since really there is no setup to it, it ‘just works’ if your wifi card is compatible.

good luck. and enjoy

1 Like

thank you for the instructions! I’m sorry I addressed this question at the wrong thread.
but, just for the feedback: I corrected it, and it still doesn’t work. I’m afraid my wi-fi card (which looks the same as in the video) won’t work at all. It doesn’t even show the access point in the wifi settings menu when connected :frowning:

hmm, perhaps if you run my diagnostic log (search forum you’ll find details) , then we can get some details of the wifi card, and an indication if its likely to work or not.

unfortunately there are quite a few small wifi dongles, but some of them use a chipset which is not supported :frowning:

yes, I’ve been reading some wifi threads and am up to some dongles not working - the only thing that frustrates me a little bit is that I bought this one from C&G, so reliability was expected. but that happens sometimes, it’s technology after all! I’ve noticed they are now offering a different model for sale…

anyways, here is my log. I hope I got it right :slight_smile:
diag_log.txt.zip (2.4 KB)

Access Point is shown as ‘AP’ on the WiFi menu. More in Section 5.1 of the manual here: https://critterandguitari.github.io/Organelle_Manual/#5-features-accessible-with-wifi

This menu item should be displayed regardless of a USB WiFi adapter connected or not.

the diagnostic shows its using the RT5370 so it should be fine, and also show you are using OS 3.0 , not 3.1

the AP mode was added in 3.1, so you need to upgrade to OS 3.1
(various posts on here about how to do that)

however, the video instructions above (which are for 3.1) for setting up connection to an existing network (second part of video I think) are also applicable to 3.0.

did you watch the video and try?