USB-MIDI Connection Between Two USB Hosts

Past couple of weeks searching for something I recall existed; found it!
http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/midi-usbusb-p-4.html

Has anyone used this? any experience?
I might give it a try :wink:

2 Likes

Good find, let me know how you get on if you are the first daring Organellonaut to try it.

1 Like

in fact it seems to look like the iconnectmidi, but cheaper and smaller. I connect my organelle with iconnectmidi2+ on my laptop with 2 usb cable and it works very well with ableton. You just have to set up properly ā€œiconfigā€ software by opening the good gates.

1 Like

@ghostly606 iā€™ll report back;

Yep, i also have an iconnectmidi2+ and it works, even with some quirks (did use it on the Pianoteq video) but rather leave it for the IPad ā€œdutiesā€.

1 Like

Hi all, I am the developer of the ā€œMIDI USB-USBā€. Some Organelle users bought it to connect it to a DAW on a PC or Mac.
http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/midi-usbusb-p-4.html?language=en

5 Likes

Hola from Granada :slight_smile:
Iā€™ve just ordered one (so only 1 left now ) ,
hopefully, as Iā€™m not far away, should arrive soon, and can report back.

Cheers
Mark

2 Likes

Oooo I want one!

1 Like

Yeah, I went with the purchase, even having the iConnectMIDI2, its on the mail for some 15 days now :frowning:
BUT tomorrow is Monday lets hope it gets delivered!

1 Like

I sent it to you by MRW so you can have it tomorrow.

1 Like

It has already arrived, I hope you try it soon and tell us.

1 Like

YES!!

and I have since been using it successfully in various scenarios. Was getting accustom to it :wink:

Organelle > MIDI USB-USB better use the (provided!) 35cm USB cable, otherwise LEDā€™s on the MIDI USB-USB will be upside down. (its Organelle USB plugs upside down)
Works as expected; 4 bidirectional MIDI ports. Now that Organelle has OS3.0 its a matter of configure Pd and patching :wink:

Total of 128 MIDI channels thru this device! ā€œback and forthā€
MIDI USB-USB Puerto 1 - 16Ch
MIDI USB-USB Puerto 2 - 16Ch
MIDI USB-USB Puerto 3 - 16Ch
MIDI USB-USB Puerto 4 - 16Ch

Ending note: I was curious about USB power handling how the MIDI USB-USB receives from both ends?
Turns out it simply does not work attached to my, ā€œhigh regardedā€ powered USB Hubs - neither Belkin or Anker
BUT!! happened to try adding UNPOWERED USB hubs in between and it works; gets detected!

3 Likes

cool, mines arrived too, but no time to look at it till tomorrow

power handling/powered hubs, Im a bit confusedā€¦what topology were you trying?
usb hosts have to be self powered, so thats okā€¦ so the ā€˜problematic areaā€™ i guess is:

organelle 
   -> usb hub -> midi usb-usb -> mac          
              -> pico/soundplane 

here, i do use a usb powered hub, so the pico/soundplane draw power thru the hub rather than the organelle.

i guess, i could get one of the adapters that allow power to be added directly via usb. (i.e data lines from computer/hub, but power from another psu), but ive heard of audio (ground loop) issues with these.

anyway, not a vital thingā€¦ if Ive got the organelle attached to the mac, id probably just connect the eigenharp to the mac too :wink:

Im glad it works with unpowered hubs though, that was something that i did wonder about.

2 Likes

Without going exhaustive with many topologies, the way I see it is:
IF there is ā€œlotsā€ of power (from ā€œgoodā€ powered USB it does not work, all lights get steady on, so this is from either sidesā€¦

@thetechnobear Youā€™ll get time to play with it :wink:

2 Likes

thanks @SevillaSoft, it arrived safely (and quickly too) and works perfectly.
its going to be a really handy thing to have around.

@keymanpal , seems to work with both my powered hubs (a manhattan 7 port, and pluggable 10 port) , both when powered and unpowered. using the topology I depicted aboveā€¦ i.e. where the dongle is attached to one outlet of the hub, and then connects to the mac.

2 Likes

Thanks you @thetechnobear and @keymanpal for your trust.

1 Like

So, better luck then meā€¦

ohh ideas I have and possibilitiesā€¦ 25h day :wink:
Organelle > MIDI USB-USB > Axoloti (4 ports)
or
Organelle > MIDI USB-USB > IOS deviceā€¦

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a DIY method for connecting two USB hosts together to send/receive USB-MIDI between them.

Havenā€™t tried it but looks promising!

1 Like

Iā€™ve just ordered a MIDI USB-USB from Sevilla Soft to connect Organelle to Ableton ā€¦ and hopefully be able to send MIDI to both Ableton and Organelle from my MPK mini somehow :thinking: probably more than a couple ways to do thatā€¦ Looking forward to tinkering !!

Mine arrived a couple of days ago, and works perfectly! Thanks so much for developing this! :pray: