Flashing an sd card from a tablet

so both of my laptops are screwed rn. so last night i flashed the new OS via my kindle fire hex tablet and a usb otg cable connected to a transcend usb 3.0 usb card reader. i have a 64gb card and a 32gb card, both of which seem to flash just fine. but i get stuck on the 99% loading error. i will try to grab some outputs from hdmi later, but off the top of anyone’s head can you think why this wouldn’t work? i can try on my iphone too i suppose.

but the and card does show in fstab. any help?

must i follow all of these old instructions? eventually i want to use the as card for patches obviously. right now i would settle for just getting 4.0 up.

What disk image file are you flashing, and what command do you use to flash?

Looks like a problem with the sdcard ( /dev/mmcblk0p3) partition. /etc/fstab only indicates this partition should be mounted, so this is expected. Check /etc/mtab for those currently mounted.

1 Like

sadly both of my computers are screwed right now, so i tried to flash from my tablet via a usb3 sd reader — i used EtchDroid. new laptop arrives on sat if worst it to worst. i can always put in some more work and make a bootable linux usb drive to try to fix one of my burner machine.

flashing OG1-v.4.0 for the 1 — off the official repository

i will try my other cards too (another 32 and a 64). thanks. the card i used for the old os will be too small for this

etch droid on my kindle fire hdx says it is good for gnu:linux distros, pi images and windows or linux disk images. i have a otg cable that i plug my usb3 sd card reader into to flash

doing a cat on version does show that 4.0 was imaged. but no sd card in mtab

i followed these directions, and i was able to mount the sdcard, however on reboot i get the same issue where it will not mount. when i did

now we want it to mount automatically on startup, so alter fstab

vi /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk0p2 /sdcard  ext4 defaults

/dev/mmcblk0p2 /sdcard  ext4 defaults, notime 0 0

the full line was 

run disk to create a new primary partition, you can accept the defaults

fdisk /dev/mmcblk0

n
p
w

then you need to reboot

reboot

you now need to create a filesystem on the new partition

mkfs.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p2

now we need to check it works, so we need to create a mount point, which means we need to write to the main disk
by mounting it… then we mount it to check it works

~/scripts/remount-rw.sh
mkdir /sdcard

mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /sdcard

ok, you can go to the /sdcard and check you can write files there ok

now we want it to mount automatically on startup, so alter fstab

vi /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk0p2 /sdcard ext4 defaults

so basically all looks good other than it auto mounting. i can get it to mount through script. my /etc/fstab has been changed to match the instructions. this is output from cat /etc/mtab image

results for fdisk -l

Blockquote

i can get everything done including mounting the sdcard, but it doesn’t persist on reboot.

i edited fstab which was supposed to fix this.