Patch sub menu (and more)

yes, Ive got OS 2.1 installed, I need to dig into this a bit… as I need the multi page menus for the Mutable Instruments patches

Sure, I saw the deploy script… I’m just a little wary of installing over the official release, whilst users are testing.

currently, for development, I run off of /usbdrive/System/mother … though Ive had copy scripts across because the scripts currently refer to /root/scripts/

however, Ive already started to abstract this, mother, can now have the system path overridden, and I will update the shell scripts to take the system path as an environment variable (but defaulting if not supplied, as I did with save_new for patch_dir)

what I think ideally Id like, is if you run /usbdrive/System/mother, then it will look for /usbdrive/scripts… and then use scripts from there… this may not work 100%, we have a ‘chicken and egg’ situation whilst starting mother, but I think once its running, the other scripts that mother uses could be overridden.

the idea being… if a user wants to use a dev/beta version, its can completely run from /usbdrive/System… and if they have an issue with it… then they can simply delete it from there usb drive then they are back to the ‘official’ release.

pacman, yeah this would be nice, but Im not familiar with the process for building these packages, nor distributing :frowning:

(similarly, it would be nice if we could distribute PD externals via deken, but there architure is ‘primitive’ to say the least)

btw: what do you think about me moving the System items, into a sub menu?
so we have something like

Shutdown
System 
     |---- CPU
     |-----Info
     |-----Eject
     |-----Reload
Critter Patches
     |---- sequencers
     |-----synths
     |-----effects
My Patches
     |---- sequencers
     |-----synths
     |-----effects
Community Patches
     |------- bob

Im keen to make it quicker to get to patches, so to avoid having to scroll past lots of items.
but on the other hand, dont want it to be a massive menu diving experience.
(id also like to remove the blank lines, and headers… again on a small screen they make it more difficult)

in code Im hoping to make it fairly easy to move things around the menus, and flexible,
e.g. we could have most of the System on a sub menu, yet have shutdown on the top level (as you need it every session)

a few related items, Id like to get some comments on, which users might prefer?:

• Startup?
    I think organelle should start with some patch running, i.e. so its immediately 'doing something’
    But should I make it the last patch used, or allow a patch to be explicitly ‘marked’ as the default for startup

• Recent or Favourite Patches?
    I suspect, many user load their organelle with lots of patches, but then will quite often use the same few (10?) patches.
    so Id like to provide easy access to these patches, via a submenu… rather than having to go find them.
    Similar to startup, then do we have it implicit (recent patches) or explicit (add to favourites)

in both cases, I think my preference is for the user to explicitly say what they want as the startup patch, and what they want as favourites. (of course, if they specify neither, then the menu item need not appear)

something like

Shutdown
System 
     |---- CPU
     |-----Info
     |-----Eject
     |-----Reload
     |-----Add to favourite
     |-----Make default patch
Favourites
     |---- Breakbeat
     |---- Rngs Reverb
     |---- Elements
Critter Patches
     |---- sequencers
     |-----synths
     |-----effects
My Patches
     |---- sequencers
     |-----synths
     |-----effects
Community Patches
     |------- bob

thoughts?

I think these things would help me a lot…
(after that, Im interested in presets , but thats a whole new topic :slight_smile: )

1 Like