New Organelle Available Now!

Hi! thanks for your help!
That let me install npm and node.
When i run npm install -g node-serialoscd

I get this errors:

(node:11714) [DEP0022] DeprecationWarning: os.tmpDir() is deprecated. Use os.tmpdir() instead.

npm ERR! tar.unpack untar error /home/music/.npm/node-serialoscd/0.2.0/package.tgz

npm ERR! Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir ‘/usr/local/lib/node_modules’

npm ERR! { Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir ‘/usr/local/lib/node_modules’

npm ERR! errno: -13,

npm ERR! code: ‘EACCES’,

npm ERR! syscall: ‘mkdir’,

npm ERR! path: ‘/usr/local/lib/node_modules’,

npm ERR! fstream_type: ‘Directory’,

npm ERR! fstream_path: ‘/usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-serialoscd’,

npm ERR! fstream_class: ‘DirWriter’,

npm ERR! fstream_stack:

npm ERR! [ ‘/usr/lib/nodejs/fstream/lib/writer.js:171:25’,

npm ERR! ‘/usr/lib/nodejs/mkdirp/index.js:46:53’,

npm ERR! ‘FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:152:21)’ ] }

npm ERR!

npm ERR! Please try running this command again as root/Administrator.

npm ERR! System Linux 4.19.46-v7+

npm ERR! command “/usr/bin/node” “/usr/bin/npm” “install” “-g” “node-serialoscd”

npm ERR! cwd /home/music

npm ERR! node -v v8.11.1

npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.21

npm ERR! path /usr/local/lib/node_modules

npm ERR! syscall mkdir

npm ERR! fstream_path /usr/local/lib/node_modules/node-serialoscd

npm ERR! fstream_type Directory

npm ERR! fstream_class DirWriter

npm ERR! code EACCES

npm ERR! errno -13

npm ERR! stack Error: EACCES: permission denied, mkdir ‘/usr/local/lib/node_modules’

npm ERR! fstream_stack /usr/lib/nodejs/fstream/lib/writer.js:171:25

npm ERR! fstream_stack /usr/lib/nodejs/mkdirp/index.js:46:53

npm ERR! fstream_stack FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:152:21)

npm ERR!

npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:

npm ERR! /home/music/npm-debug.log

npm ERR! not ok code 0

music@organellem : ~ $

Which are related to folder permissions :frowning:

How do i log in as @root? And what password?

Many thanks!

I think we should be creating new topics for installing new stuff on organelle-m…
otherwise this is going to become a very large thread :wink:

@Thopa, looks like same issue as above, you need to make the filesystem writeable before you run it
if you have… then you should run as root using

sudo  npm install -g node-serialoscd

if all fails - then you can become root (basically) by using

sudo bash

btw: by installing extra software on the organellem, there is alway a (small) chance you will ‘break’ something else… ie. something that runs on the ‘factory’ organellem might stop working
my concern is that this can cause issues for support, since its unlikely people will remember what they install, so the organellem is in an unknown state.

my solution and recommendation to this, as i do it a lot for development purposes, is to keep a second SD card that has the ‘factory image’ on it, with no extra software - as a kind of backup.

this way, if one day you find something doesn’t work on your ‘custom image’ , you can just throw the factory SD card in, and check to see if its working on that or not… IF not then you know its something in your image thats the cause.

(I also use this approach so that when I release software/patches for the Organelle, I know they will work on an organelle that has just arrived from C&G HQ :slight_smile: )

anyway, just some advice, as im seeing a few people talking about installing additional software on the organellem… which is cool, as its so easy… and one of the advantages imo, but need to be careful as trying to resolve general Linux issues could be pretty difficult.

Hi Mark! Thanks a lot for your help! I seem to be stalking you on different forums :slight_smile:
Much appreciated.
I kept the original organelle sd card as backup, and did a fresh installed on a 32gb one. Did not manage to get you sd partition patch working, will have to look into that.
I was getting quite annoyed yesterday when i could not log in as root no matter what password i used. So there is no official way of logging in as root?
Intalling that g node serialoscd was quite tedious on my mac, so i was expecting it to be more or less the same on the organelle (i still have to get it working)
On the mac i had to create a npm dir, edit the bash_profile…
I will open a new post so i dont derail this one!
Many thanks for your help, hopefully ill get it working!
Cheers

most linux system these days disable login, and remote login of root, as it’s really insecure.

the preferred approach is to use sudo, as this enables the system to track which user account actually logged in to do its operations … its even preferred to not use sudo bash, so that the system can track what commands a particular user ran as root (via sudo)

but sudo bash, gives you a bash shell/environment running as root , with it you can also change the password of root! if you plan to ssh in as root, then you will need to enable that too ( as Id assume its disabled by default)

Note: be careful… most of the organellem is run as the music user, so if you start creating files with root, that user might not be able to access/remove these files i.e. by using root, you might actually start creating permission issues - so only use for installing system wide software.

anyway, whilst it may not seem as convenient (initially) as just logging in as root (like on organelle-1), it actually is much better, and in line with current linux practices.

yeh, loopop has an organelle-m …

will he like it ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I hadn’t already arranged to collect one in a few days time, this review would be convincing me to order one … he almost treats Orac as firmware … good stuff Mark! The review is a pretty useful beginners tutorial as well …

1 Like

probably my favourite bit of the video is at the end in the pros section, where loopop tries to explain the ‘fun factor’ and uniqueness of C&G and the Organelle - something really hard to do in words, but I think he make a valiant effort to do so!

Hi Mark

Just got home from a holiday away … and find it’s like Xmas … stuff I ordered recently or some time ago …

• An RPi4 (will try Scarlett and Behringer USB sound until PiSound & Patchbox available

• An Organelle M (Orac is first installation once I’d got WiFi and a screen)

• A MOD X … I have had a Duo for some time but never done any “low level” gen~ read about it, but … just using their patches … feed the Organelle in there too …

Andy Farrell “Designing Sound” book is a guide to Pd I started, and now will work on Organelle/RPi platform

Massive X was promoted as the NBT … and looks like a Beta that I can’t be bothered with when I have so much to explore. Build-your-own (there’s Bitwig Grid as well) is this years thing …

Thanks for being inspirational … I do love a bit (LOT!) of enthusiasm …

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

wow, thats a lot of ‘potential’ to explore
enjoy :slight_smile:

I couldn’t resist to check it out so I ordered an Organelle M…

I’ve got just one question (for now) : can it now make use of a big SD card ?
I can’t remember precisely, but in my previous Organelle, I had to follow some wizardry from @thetechnobear to make use of a 64GB SDcard. And from what I recall, it lead to a situation where I could no more transfer patches from my Mac to the Organelle because the SD card was no longer recognized by the Mac.

1 Like

yes, you can make it use a bigger sd card … though Ive not updated my Resize script yet

this is ‘inaccurate’ :wink:

the SD card for the organelle has always been using the linux filesystem, so not recognisable by a mac, only the USB drive used Fat32 so was mountable via a mac

I could have use fat32 for the patch area, but its technical not as good as ext3, and its really inconvenient anyway to pop out the SD card from the organelle, and really easy to ‘drop it inside’ when you reinsert it - so it was not really desirable to do this anyway.

(if you want, you could do this on your own, just delete the patch partition and create it as a FAT partition… but as i said not something id recommend)

instead intended workflow is either:
a) use WIFI, a stick is now included with OrganelleM, to transfer patches via the built in Patch Manager web… this is SO much easier than messing about with USB sticks.
(note: Organelle supports both joining a network and also AP mode)

b) if you’re without wifi for whatever reason, you can still run patches off the USB stick.

we could add an option to transfer patches to sd card from usb stick, but its seems of limited use (and sync always has issues esp. when there is no real time clock available!) , given to organise patches properly you are going to end up using wifi/patch manager… at which point why not just transfer than patches that way too :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for these reminders !
Can’t wait to try Orac2, by the way…

1 Like