Organelle Pro (future hardware dreams!)

I wanted to start a thread for discussion of whether people think we might be in for an Organelle Pro at some point in the foreseeable future. I’ve really enjoyed keeping up with the work of @Audivit on ORHACK, and see a lot of users are running into cpu limitations. Personally I’m still on the Organelle 1. Was excited with the release of the S, but after careful consideration, I wanted to hold out for a more substantial upgrade.

So, I guess this is more of a thread about "if there was an organelle pro, would you upgrade? What do you imagine it might improve on over the S? etc.

I saw something mentioned about built in flash memory in the orhack thread as well, and wonder if that’s a possibility.

I think C&G have done such a great job keeping things backwards compatible, that part of me is afraid an Organelle Pro might put and end to that backwards compatibility, but. Maybe it doesn’t have to…

1 Like

:robot:

1 Like

As long as it runs puredata, it will be still ‘somehow’ compatible… but yeah if suddenly there are illuminated buttons, We will be able to do step sequencers, elektron style, etc. things that in the current organelles wouldn’t make sense but still. people are doing and will still do in the future many patches that will run in older organelles…

3 Likes
  • Thinner sleek design with integrated battery
  • USB-C power input
  • Larger greyscale OLED display
  • Internal SSD storage
  • High resolution endless encoders with push switches
  • 2 rows of 16 mini velocity/pressure sensitive (or MPE) pads (to be used both as keyboard or sequencer)
  • X/Y mini joystick (spring loaded on one axis)
  • Built in FM radio receiver/transmitter
  • CV in/outs for both modular and external sensors
  • Internal Accelerometer
  • Improved AD/DA converters
  • Mini Toslink in/outs
  • Improved internal microphone

3 Likes

I like a lot of these ideas! Personally I kind of enjoy the keyboard layout although I love what you’ve done @Audivit by changing the wooden keys on yours. I see the advantages for sequencing patterns, but I wonder if it’s too much of a departure from the organelle’s functionality.

Sometimes I like the non endless pots as you can sweep from max to min with one swift movement more easily - I’m curious, what do people see as the advantages of endless encoders?

I would really love a LESS CLICKY encoder for the main encoder though

Larger screen and internal battery (if possible while maintaining S form factor) is great idea. So is Joystick!

What’s the advantage of internal SSD? Would this allow for faster sample transfer? I currently find the wait time for sample transfer to be really slowwww

• Thinner sleek design with integrated battery
    agree, I would probably use also low profile knobs like the ones in akai lpd or elektron cycles in order to make the device slicker / as backpack friendly as possible.

• USB-C power input
    yeah, this could even make the internal battery optional (it might be pricier than we think to do it right…)

• Larger greyscale OLED display
    I would use color if the price/ code time bump isn’t too big but I would be happy anyway with size increase…

• Internal SSD storage
    I don’t see a positive ‘advantage to price-bump’ ratio

• High resolution endless encoders with push switches
    yeah, there will be an issue to solve regarding using old patches though…

• 2 rows of 16 mini velocity/pressure sensitive (or MPE) pads (to be used both as keyboard or sequencer)
    Don’t see this one… One row of 16 RGB backlit butts is ‘enough’ (in addition with a standard mini-keyboard) and the loss of a ‘musical keyboard’ would be massive for the people that simply wants to use Organelle as a simple playable synth… I would actually love to have an isomorphic keyboard input in the organelle (like the Striso). But I wouldn’t suggest it because I see it might be a very personal preference and also it would mean a significant price increase…

• X/Y mini joystick (spring loaded on one axis)
    I would use a minilogue XD style joystick. it might be smaller…

• Improved AD/DA converters
    Absolutely… but I would trade CV stuff and Toslink for more Audio i/o though… Being able to cue audio before sending it out its a nice or even essential feature to have when playing live. & that outs can be used also to send audio to effect pedals & back into organelle… Well actually… If you do it right, you could use that outputs also for CV: (Es-8, datanoise octawave) . But I would rather have 3 better quality minijack stereo ins and 3 stereo outs for cue out, Aux sends, and external audio input mixing of up to 6 independent channels.

I like your idea also about more RGB leds. they are affordable and They are super important for visual feedback. I use the current one with different colors to know if Im recording a sequence, a sound into a sampler or the master output. But I can think also of many other uses for extra leds… midi activity, audio in levels. quarter notes metronome, pedal state, knob catch status, etc…

Another thing that I haven’t mentioned before but that I would absolutely add is a couple of extra ‘Aux’ buttons…
in Organelle minimalistic style, 4 extra buttons would already be great but personally, I would add a couple of basic buttons already labeled (rec, stop, play, <,>, up, dwn, -,+, A, B, etc), And then people could use them that way or not. But at least they would be easily named and remembered in pd.

1 Like

Endless encoders are better in cases where they do more than one function so you don’t have to do anymore the ‘catch older value first’ thing (or jump directly). older 24 steps per rotation encoders might feel ‘slower’ than pots but newer Hi-res encoders (1024 stp per rot) feel pretty good when implemented correctly, almost ‘analog’, Like in push 2. Although, scrolling through lists in push encoders doesnt feel good because of the lack of clickyness…
For the less clicky main I don’t know if you refer to rotation or push… I personally like to feel clicks when scrolling lists but this also can be achieved nowadays with some haptic feedback motor.

I meant less clicky encoder as far as how much you hear it. I do like the tactile feedback, but it’s very loud.

I am thinking instead of an internal battery, what if there was a sleek way to attach a small rechargeable battery pack? I’m imagining a box the same size as the organelle that could attach to the back (so the device retains the same footprint, but can still lie flat). It wouldn’t be as slick as an internal battery, of course but it also wouldn’t add a lot of depth given how thin most battery packs are today. Something like this:

An extra aux button, I see could definitely be useful, but I think, having several more aux buttons might be a little too much, and actually detract from the simplicity of the design.

I like the idea of the knobs, being a little bit more low profile, though! And a case would be really awesome as well :slight_smile:

I would like to just add that having a 25th key for a high C would be much appreciated

3 Likes

multi output and input jack ports would be my biggest wish

2 Likes

It would just be nice if there was a rechargeable battery inside it. The need for AAs seems wasteful, and I don’t see that it could cost a whole lot more. It would make the organelle s a much better “couch/travel synth”

3 Likes

would be nice as lon=g as it ran on the current box. Would only be interested if it were strictly a software upgrade. Could never adfford another complete unit…

My biggest request would be native, OS level enforcement of the MIDI standard, for better interfacing with other devices.

+1 for internal lithium ion battery.

Maybe more options for enclosures. 2 for the M and 1 for the S isn’t enough. Lots of colors. Maybe chrome. Or even a full wooden enclosure.

Dedicated internal storage, with the option to expand with SD or flash drive.

Velocity sensitive keys.

The ability to power USB MIDI controllers that need more than 500 mA.

Internal WiFi receiver that can connect to 5gHz networks.

More ports! Just more. Also I’d prefer separate left and right stereo I/O instead of combined. Easier to connect to other devices.

If we can somehow add a louder/bassier speaker, that’d be sweet.

Bluetooth, to connect to other audio devices.

CV in/out, for connecting to modular.

These are all extravagant wishlist items, with no regard to feasibility or cost. But if money was no object and I could have a perfect Organelle, this is what I’d want.

1 Like

What midi issues are you having? I just got myself an ‘s’ and havent checked yet the integrated midi.
In my old trusty ‘OG’ midi works fine via usb.
Seems like internal battery is a quite popular request. I would definitely prefer that to batteries… even if it lasted just 3 hrs…
Why would you prefer internal storage?
greetings
s

The issue with MIDI is when you try to connect to other hardware MIDI devices. Not necessarily controllers, but other hardware like synths or drum machines. I tried to hook my Organelle M up to my friend’s MPC One, and it wouldn’t receive the clock from the MPC. The patch seemingly ignored the clock data from the MPC. It also ignored the Force Stop gesture. A MIDI compliant device should technically not be able to do that.

the thing is that you (or the coders) define how midi is going to work in the puredata patch, so every patch is going to be different. (and with different latencies…) MPC has Link right?. that’s likely going to behave better. or, try a usb-midi device to see if there are any changes in behavior.

With MIDI, I also have trouble sometimes, especially in terms of transport and syncing. If it is in fact something that needs to be handled on the patch level, I’d really appreciate some more documentation (tutorial videos, troubleshooting common problems etc).

Personally right now I’m having an issue where between Organelle and Norns, when I start transport on organelle, Norns starts and syncs up, but it’s one 16th note behind.

This might be off topic, as it’s a software issue, not hardware. But if there is something that can be implemented on the os level to make managing midi stuff easier (especially clock/transport issues), that would be awesome.

I really enjoyed the patching tutorials that originally came with the organelle, and think more patching videos on a variety of topics (“common problems with MIDI” being one) would be a welcome resource, especially if we’re expected to handle these things as users on the patch level.

1 Like