New Organelle Available Now!

:smile:ok sorry for being vague. IĀ“m just trying to understand. ItĀ“s because for me personally i like the organelle 1 better, because itĀ“s smaller and doesnĀ“t have the speaker. Nevertheless itĀ“s cool that the new one has more power and is 64 bit which is a great plus for using orac. So in my head i was just searching a way to switch out the old mainboard for an raspberry and simply connect the pots and lcd to that. if there is no seperate controller board anymore shouldnĀ“t that work with a little bit of work and using the organelle M image then?

1 Like

i think you are over simplifying thingsā€¦ open up your organelle-1 and take a look inside, and try to think about how you would put a rPI in their, and connect it up :wink:

thats not what i saidā€¦ i said there was no microcontroller - but there still is a main board which will have things like mux ics for the keyboard, codec, and all the stuff for connecting midi sockets/audio jacks etcā€¦ ā€¦ and then the fact that a rPI will not physically not fit inside an organelle caseā€¦
basically want you would have to do is exactly what C&G have done with the organelle-m - bar putting the speaker on - and thats leading almost to a discussion on building a clone - which I think is off-topic really, and discussed here and i think elsewhereā€¦

as I pointed out in my first reply - if you want a quad core organelle-1, look at my post here about using an upgraded iMX6 - this works well, Ive been using one for quite a while - also if you do, this you can look at the work I did about building a more modern linux dest using armbian here

anyway, i think this is really straying from the organelle-m, so probably a candidate for a separate topic in the ā€˜hackingā€™ category?

I just have to chime in - but will probably start another topic. I also like the form factor of the organelle 1 more, for roughly the same reasons.

I think itā€™s great they made the M, but Iā€™m waiting for something with the M capabilities in the same small form factor as the original. Quad core thread is pretty cool, but I think I remember you (@thetechnobear) mentioning that mod wonā€™t actually increase headroom in orac though, so not exactly going to do what users like myself and @kroggel are looking forā€¦

@thetechnobear Have you opened up your M yet? Please include footage of the boards in your video if you can!

thatā€™s not what I said, I actually said it will give a bit of headroom. (see this post for lots of details)
summary is:
M has more memory which is already useable by orac (e.g. sampler modules) , it feels more fluid due to that extra headroom, and orac uses threads and so cores for thing like display so this helps and I plan to make Orac multicore probably by having separate chains on separate cores - that will yield 3-4 times the processing power we have on the organelle-1.

I have, but didnā€™t take photos/videos, and its not quite as simple to put back together as the organelle-1, so im not in a rush to do it again at the moment :wink:

2 Likes

Ahh, so you did! Apologies for misrepresenting you! I incorrectly remembered our exchange from that thread. So more cores in Organelle-1 will give orac a bit more headroom, even though itā€™s limited currently to use of a single coreā€¦ very excited and happy to hear youā€™re planning to make it multi-core some day :slight_smile:

has the ā€œMā€ already landed in Europe?

1 Like

mine has :slight_smile:

10 Likes

How is the sound from the line outs now? On the original you really ned to either plug it into a high z input or use the headphone out. If not you lose a lot of bass. Is this fixed on the new model?

Thanks for the demo @thetechnobear, looks like a nice spot to play the Organelle M!

@KristofferLislegaard I will have to make some measurements. The line outs are hotter overall on the M, but weā€™ll need to do a proper frequency sweep test to measure full spectrum responseā€¦

1 Like

Feel free to tag me if you have time to test it. I will probably get one as a friend for my Organelle 1 anyways but it would be a nice bonus if this is fixed :slight_smile:

Iā€™e been using the Organelle M for a little over a week and the only issue Iā€™ve come across are with the speaker and microphone switches on the back. The second time I switched the speaker, the switch seems to be recessed so far in that I have to use a pointy object to move it. The mic switch is working fine and I can move it with my finger.

Still waiting for my Organelle M to arrive, but yeah, judging from the photos I would have preferred larger switches for the input selection and speaker, like the power switch.

hmm, they are small - though ive not really found it a problem, and not had an issue with them pushing in as @scottmoon had - I wonder if the main board , moved a tiny bit?
(mine are just above the surface of the case, but only by a tiny amount)

Maybe it moved. I hesitate to open it because it might void the warranty. Iā€™ll just keep a pointy object close by for now.

yeah, generally, Id forewarn people about opening the organelle-m.

its a little more ā€˜trickyā€™ than the organelle-1, as if the keys ā€˜fall outā€™, then you have to take the main board out to re-seat themā€¦ and thats was a bit of a pain.
the trick is to suspend the organelle-m, so the keys stay in their holes when you open it.
(also youā€™ll need to unhook the speaker cable, but thats easy enough, but means donā€™t just yank the enclosure off without doing this)

its not hard as such, just need to be a bit more careful than the organelle-1.

1 Like

great but which store? im based in germany / poland and i still can find it

How about here: https://skylark.com.pl/critter-guitari-organelle/

Hi!

So im trying to install some apps in the organelle, npm and nodejs.

-I am trying:

• sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get install nodejs

and

sudo apt-get install npm

Im getting all kind of errors when installing and i think it is due to not having the right permissions setup.

I am logging trough ssh music@192.168.1.45

I have tried logging with root@192.168.1.45 but i wont accept the password.

I have tried: music, organelle, organellem, organelleM, coolmusic to no avail.

I want to install this apps to use a monome untz replica, and need some serialoscd to be installed to work, as i have already on my mac.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

What do the errors say specifically?

The filesystem is read only, did you remount in read/write mode? If not you can run this:

/home/music/fw_dir/scripts/remount-rw.sh