SD card disk image with patch storage

would need to be done on a linux computer (which includes the Organelle)

yeah,I added the media folder in 3.0, I plan to move all the Orac modules over to this.
I think all the C&G patches work on the sdcard, as they dont refer to /usbdrive instead they refer to directories relative to the main.pd patch, so they work fine without editing.
some 3rd party patches are however hard-coding the usb drive, or patch locations, which then means you need to edit (arghh!!)

no, not only is usb host to host, but also the Organelle would have to act as a usb mass media device, which it cannot (because its a host ;))

so currently your choices are:
WIFI : then use Patch Manager (or any file tool that copes with SSH copying, there are loads!)

USB : copy patch to usb, then insert you USB into organelle,
then with an HDMI monitor/keyboard, startx and you will find /usbdrive and /sdcard on your desktop, so you can copy things between the two
(note: its easier to leave the files as zip or zop when transferring to usb, then they can be installed directly on the organelle, rather than copying lots of files)

but honestly, id invest in a wifi stickā€¦
as ive been saying for a long time, wifi + sdcard, makes the workflow on an Organelle so much more enjoyable, all that unmounting, copy to usb, mount - was such a long winded experience :wink:
(and dont get me started, about how much quicker it is for transferring samples )

1 Like

In case itā€™s useful for some - I just flashed an 8GB card but it failed to flash first time (on the .zip file), I had to extract the .img first.

1 Like

Look forward to testing the cabability of WIFI transfer. Can you recommend any alternative if i have issues with large files on the C&G transfer page?

anything that supports SFTP should work.
on the mac I use Forklift (v2 is free on the App Store) , but really was just first thing i tried (and I mainly use the command line anyway)

there are quite a few on mac and windows Iā€™m sure - Id say, try a couple , just look for SFTP support (which youā€™ll see when your asked to make a connection) , and see which works best for you.
(they all have a few different features, which you might find handy, eg. drag n drop, backup, synchronisation blah blah :slight_smile: )

also , as i said, it might be Patch Manager will work for you, its a long time since ive used it, so it might be there were some crinkles that have been ironed out now.

3 Likes

So I got a couple of bits of software. Both from Paragon. They seem to have made everything possible from the Mac desktop.

extFT for Mac lets the Mac OS see the Linux formatted SD partitions (and lets me do bulk drag and drop copying)

and having found a fast 32GB SD SanDisk cardā€¦

Paragonā€™s Hard Disk Manager let me resize the partition for patches from the 4GB that the the .img file created to use all of the remaining 28GB

I have not tested this extensively yet, but a quick boot-up of my Organelle worked fine! So a bit of money spent, but I am pleased to have idiot proof tools to do all this.

(I should point out that extFT for Mac has a free 10 day trial period ā€¦ which may well be enough if all someone wants to do is copy over some large files to their 8GB SD)

1 Like

Is the resizing of the partition done before flashing the micro sd or can you do it after it has been flashed to the card?

• just figured it out - thanks for sharing those tools - made it extremely easy to do - for anyone else that may be confused about the process like I was, I was able to change the partition size of the card that was already flashed afterwards. I used a 64gb card with no issues (yes I know its overkill, but its the only extra one I had handy)

After.
Btw: those with a Linux machine can also do this with gparted.

Unfortunately the arch Linux on the organelle is to old to do this, and installing willl break the os.
Iā€™d you want to do on the organelle, you can delete the partition and recreate with new fs , in the same way as I documented to use the sdcard before

1 Like

Does it mean that even with a larger SD card, the total storage will be limited to 8GB ?
I bought a 64GB card and intend to load a large amount of audio files.

EDIT : My mistake, I forgot to unzip the file.

When trying to mount the card with Etcher, I got this error message :

Error: too many bytes in the stream. expected 3653238784. got at least 3653243274
at AssertByteCountStream._transform (/Applications/Etcher.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/yauzl/index.js:531:15)
at AssertByteCountStream.Transform._read (_stream_transform.js:167:10)
at AssertByteCountStream.Transform._write (_stream_transform.js:155:12)
at doWrite (_stream_writable.js:329:12)
at writeOrBuffer (_stream_writable.js:315:5)
at AssertByteCountStream.Writable.write (_stream_writable.js:241:11)
at InflateRaw.ondata (_stream_readable.js:557:20)
at emitOne (events.js:96:13)
at InflateRaw.emit (events.js:191:7)
at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:178:18)
at InflateRaw.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:136:10)
at InflateRaw.Transform.push (_stream_transform.js:128:32)
at Zlib.callback (zlib.js:584:14)

Done with no issues. Now my organelle looks more minimalistic, love it!

1 Like

Yeah, finally me too !
Iā€™d just like to know how to free the remaining space of my 64GB card.

fdisk should work:

https://access.redhat.com/articles/1190213

there is a thread from @thetechnobear giving fdisk details

itā€™s not a big deal doing it (I remember years ago resizing disks used to terrify me - I guess because there wasnā€™t such easy ways to recover machines. If you mess this up the worst that will happen is you have to re-image the disk)

1 Like

also if you have a spare desktop Linux box, then it will be able to resize the partition for you thru gparted.
(unfortunately the arch linux on the organelle is too old to do this)

but apart from that, you just need to delete the partition and recreate it, using all the defaults fdisk supplies. and then make the filesystem - all in the above post, it looks harder than it is :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll leave this for later. Too confused for now.
But hereā€™s another problem :
Now that my patch folder is on the SD card, I am unable to add new patches (from other users) since the SD card is not recognized by my desktop computer (an iMac). Any easy way ?

Two easy options but only if you have the necessary kit:

1. Webserver using the wifi
  2. Transfer from your USB stick by hooking up a mouse and monitor to the Organelle
1 Like

The file system is ext4 which the Mac canā€™t normally read.

However

Works well.

(That said I hav3 a wifi usb in my organelle and transfer stuff that way. )

2 Likes

be warned, i had a look at this, and quite a few complained of it corrupting images.

however, for the single use case of extending the partition, them i guess using it is a non-issue, if it corrupts it, just build the image again and try again.

but id be wary of using it generally to read/write to sdcard routinely, e.g. to move patches to the sdcard.

as i say, just what i read, so ymmv.
I run a VMware Linux system on my mac, so I use that

(btw: I assume on windows 10, the unbuntu subsystem could be used to do this)

Hmm interesting - I only used the trial to rescue something (not organelle) which worked ok. I was going to buy it though - might hold off

1 Like

Hey @chapelierfou,
How did you manage to find a solution ? I have the same issue and have a 32gb SD card, which seems way more than neededā€¦ :slight_smile:
BTW, I really like your music!