Accessing filesystem and printing script output

Hi all,

I’ve been following this thread to try and ssh into the etc. It seems like the route to go down includes modifying wpa_supplicant.conf but I am unsure how to get to that file on the filesystem of the etc. What are the commands I need to run to mount the filesystem correctly?

Once I’ve ssh’d into the etc, is it possible to see the output of a running python script? Debugging modes by prayer/hope is pretty time-consuming.

Any guidance would be adored!

0 Likes

If ssh is working for you then use the command scp to transfer the files from your local computer to the ETC. Mac OS has ssh/scp included. For Windows look for WinSCP.
Befor you can write to the filesystem you have to call /root/ETC_Sys/scripts/remount-rw.sh in the ssh shell.

I personally prefer to edit the files on the ETC directly using and editor (vim in my case).

If you are logged in, then stop the ETC-programm (killall python)
Then call /root/ETC_Sys/scripts/etc_start.sh, which starts the program from the commandline. Now you will get all Output on the commandline window, which displays all standardmessages (like, which mode has been loaded) and - more important - all errormessages.

0 Likes

@fanwander I haven’t been able to ssh into the etc at all. Any guidance on how to do that?

0 Likes

There are two prerequesites.
1.) you have to enable the SSH-daemon
2.) the Wifi has to work

To enabling the SSHD can be done via a special MODE, but you don’t get any response of it. So I suggest to use the scripting-possibilities on the USB-drive. Since the run.sh mechanism does not work (@thetechnobear found that), we have to “misuse” Wifi.sh.

The first example starts a local WLAN as described in the manual. I named the network “critternet”

/root/ETC_Sys/scripts/remount-rw.sh
sleep 1
date >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1
echo "WiFi.sh"  >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1
systemctl enable sshd   >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1
sleep 2
systemctl start sshd   >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1
sleep 2
create_ap wlan0 eth0 critternet >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1 &
echo "WiFi.sh ended" >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1

As you can see, I write a log-file wifi.log on the USB-stick.
Be aware, that I put some “sleep” statements in the script. This will make the boot process take 5 seconds longer!

The version running on my ETC is still a bit different. I can select between this local “critternet” and the WLAN at home, depending on a variable “NET” which I set manually in the script:

/root/ETC_Sys/scripts/remount-rw.sh
sleep 2
date >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1
#NET="critter"
NET="home"
echo "WiFi.sh"  >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1
echo "NET = $NET" >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1
systemctl enable sshd   >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1
sleep 2
systemctl start sshd   >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1
sleep 2
#### Variation 1 -> local Critternet
if [ $NET = "critter" ] ; then 
   echo "I will setup the critternet" >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1 
   create_ap wlan0 eth0 critternet >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1 &
fi
#### Variation 2 -> log on to the home WLAN
if  [ $NET = "home" ] ; then 
    echo "calling wpa_supplicant" >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1
    wpa_supplicant -B -D nl80211,wext -i wlan0 -c <(wpa_passphrase "YOURNETWORKNAME" "YOUR NETWORKPASSPHRASE") >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1 &
    sleep 5 
    echo "calling dhcpcd" >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1 
    dhcpcd wlan0  >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1 &
fi
echo "WiFi.sh ended" >> /usbdrive/wifi.log 2>&1

This script contains even more sleep commands, because the connection to the home network needs enough time. So this will prolongate the the boot process for 10 seconds.

I hope that helps.

0 Likes

Thanks, that did help. I was able to ssh in. When I run your suggestion of

killall python2
start-etc.sh

I get the error:
“server error 9904: cannot find free port”

and the ETC modes don’t begin to run again. Any insights?

0 Likes

Assumingly the “killall python2” did not succeed to end the python2 process, so the process still exists and blocks a port (for the graphics output?). You should check with:
ps -ef | grep python | grep -v grep
It should return nothing. If there is still a python process listed then you have to kill it with
kill -9 <PROCESSID>

0 Likes