Aleph's grid apps

Thanks! I just press buttons until stuff happens :slight_smile:

Yes ā€“ I think as the installation process gets simpler, a suite of Monome patches and applications will continue growing for Organelle, and itā€™ll be much easier for people with Monomeā€™s to plug and play.

I donā€™t have a Monome ā€“ but I have always been interested in the Aleph. Are the patches from Aleph able to be ported to Organelle? Specifically the ones that donā€™t require a Monome.

so, all we need is serialosc installation (on sdcard or usb pen, in or out of folders in new OS) to run as a daemon, so it is not necessary to type serialoscd on the command line. i think you can work it out @quilime :wink:

donā€™t have an alephā€¦ maybe @rick_monster can answer this. he ported Brian and Ezra alephā€™s gird apps.

Alephā€™s Patches are written in C and hook into the custom Aleph API. They technically could be ported to Organelle with some time, patience, and elbow grease, depending on the use case. Youā€™ll be missing certain functionality in terms of CV control, as the Organelle doesnā€™t have CV. However, you could get a USB CV control module ā€“ like the Expert Sleepers ES3, and control that from Organelle.

We are porting these to work on Organelle~ @ the Patreon site and adding visual elements from the new graphics ā€œopcodesā€ I also have an ARC and will be creating new patches that make use of it, 4 more ā€œknobsā€ and a step controller is a perfect extension

cheers~

1 Like

Oh cool! Are you working on getting SerialOSC working on the Organelle for a Grid as well? Happy to help if youā€™re already working on it, as you can tell from this thread Iā€™m basically just hacking it to get it to work. The fork of serialosc that works on the Organelle as a deamon is from artfwo here:

yes its currently working but iā€™m building the patches to go with it
Itā€™s not a high priority because this weekend i am working on the ZOIA emulation
but itā€™s on our list!

so you are building a serialosc installation to run as a daemon on the organelle as @quilime is trying?

no, apps that are related to meadowphysics, white whale, flin, etcā€¦

1 Like

but they are intended to work with the monome grid and arc right? so you need serialosc on the organelle, or am i missing something?

I think they all need serialosc to talk to grids/arc.
yes they will use serialosc and they will take advantage of the friction, revolutions etc of the ARC kind of like Ansible in a way. but i am designing something fun I am also looking at the Aleph stuff to see what might be fun to translate from those if any

So you ARE getting serialosc working? Are you doing it as a daemon like Iā€™m doing in this thread, or another way? Will everything Iā€™ve been doing become obsolete if youā€™re doing it anyway?

No problem if it is, but if youā€™re developing it anyway, then I can just take a break and wait till you finish ā€“ unless youā€™d like to use my install scripts and code. :blush:

1 Like

Made some update to the Grid Apps for Organelle and a new SerialOSC Installer.

zip: https://github.com/quilime/organelle-monome/archive/master.zip

You should be able to run the new installer on your Organelle without uninstalling the previous versions of serialosc.

The installer should now work from any location.

Included is a test patch with the follow Monome Apps in an example Organelle patch (No sound yet, just pretty lights and printing data!)

• kria
  • meadowphysics
  • step
  • grid
  • whitewhale

Let me know how it fairs. There is a mysterious bug that I noticed if editing patches on the Organelle Desktop, occasionally after a while the grid will go dark and you have to restart the patch.

:open_mouth:
that is great @quilime :smiley:

just download and made a quick test, here is my feedback so far.

run the installer from my monome folder on my sd card with no problems :wink:
for older patches to work properly i had to replace the old serialosc.pd patch with new patch inside install folder.
relative to grid apps, i am creating some exemple patchs with sounds. on these patches i had to replace the grid (meadowphysics or kria) externals and also placed the serialosc.pd patch inside the folder. without the serialosc.pd patch inside, the patch would freeze and stop working. you also have the serialosc.pd patch inside ā€œgrid basic polyā€ so i try that way and all is working great.
i did not yet experience the ā€œmysterious bugā€. but as i said this was a quick test :slight_smile:

so excited about this! :grin: iā€™ll keep testing later on. once again, thank you so much @quilime :clap::raised_hands::pray:

Cool!

Yes still trying to suss out that freeze bug. Itā€™s very inconsistent for me. These new apps technically shouldnā€™t need to use the [serialosc] patch as now itā€™s running as a daemon.

However, the [serialosc] object is used for sending direct OSC commands to the Monome Grid and that still is useful. As I have it now, when [serialosc] runs in pd, it force kills all the instances of serialosc running on the system and starts a new one, which is a bit heavy handed. I didnā€™t want multiple instances of serialosc to start piling up in the background when you load up other Organelle patches. :thinking:

The way I intend to fix this is to have the [serialosc] patch somehow test if the serialosc daemon is running and query its port for sending OSC directly.

1 Like

ok, now i can understand the use of [serialosc] patch :slight_smile:

new updates regarding the grid apps and mysterious bug without editing patches on the organelle desktop, normal use only :grimacing:

_first test:
start organelle
load a patch with grid apps
in a few momentsā€¦ mysterious bug
re-open the same patch. mysterious bug again.
open a diferente patch with grid apps, mysterious bug is back!

_second test:
start organelle
load a monome patch with [serialosc] patch, no grid apps.
load a patch with grid appsā€¦ everything is great! no mysterious bug :thinking:

it seams that if i open a monome patch with [serialosc] first (i donā€™t even have to play it) then open a patch with grid apps, mysterious bug never comes up. i have not tested this editing patches on the organelle desktop.
hope this test somehow helps you with the mysterious bug!

This is great feedback, thank you. This makes me think the daemon isnā€™t launching properly. When you launch serialosc for the first time, serialosc is launched ā€“ even if you close the patch, it sounds like itā€™s running in the background. Looking into this :mag_right:

1 Like

Ok cool ā€“ the daemon was indeed timing out, and now it seems to be working after debugging it with systemctl. If anyone is well versed on systemd in arch, pls chime in, but Iā€™m doing the most basic thing by creating a service that runs at boot at /etc/systemd/system/serialosc.service. Iā€™ve set its permissions to -rw-r--r-- (664), and the contents are:

[Unit]
Description=SerialOSC Daemon

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/serialoscd
Restart=on-failure
User=root
Group=root

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Youā€™ll have to re-run the SerialOSC-Installer patch again, and Iā€™ve also updated the example patches.

Iā€™ve been testing it by booting the Organelle in normal (headless) mode and opening a grid app (like step) and letting it run for a while. So far so good :crossed_fingers:

Download it on the master branch here:

https://github.com/quilime/organelle-monome/archive/master.zip

cool, iā€™m glad my feedback is helping! :slight_smile:

my previous tests also consisted on booting the organelle in normal mode, opening a grid app and letting it run for a while. iā€™ll go and try this one and report back.

thanks!