Can't change MIDI channel on 201PP

Hi C&G Community,

Sorry if i’m missing something obvious here, but I can’t seem to change the MIDI input channel on my 201.

Steps I’ve taken:

1. Connect to computer via USB-C and put in disk mode.
  2. Open midi.txt file on my computer, change the input-channel number from 1 to 7 (desired channel).
  3. Save the midi.txt file.
  4. Reload main patch with “E+F+G” + Shift
  5. Eject drive on computer, then exit disk mode.
  6. Try midi the new channel, doesn’t work.

In fact, all MIDI functions stop working. I verified the MIDI works before I change the channel, but once I edit the midi.txt file, nada. Only way I can get it back is the flash the SD card.

I’m on an M1 Macbook pro.

Please help! Thanks everyone.

EDIT: Fixed the key combo to reload mother patch.

How are you editing the midi.txt file? Some programs might add extra characters or formatting to the text file which would make it hard for the 201 to process it. Here is a midi.txt file with the input channel changed to 7, can you try replacing the one on the 201 with this one?

midi.txt (264 Bytes)

Just using TextEdit, which i didn’t think added anything. Unfortunately that file doesn’t work :frowning:

This is the incorrect key combination for reloading the mother patch. The correct combination is to hold the high E + F + G keys and then press Shift.

Whoops, I typed it wrong. That’s what I was doing, the rightmost three keys on the bottom row.