Development API for Windows?

Hi,

I would like to start developing my own Modes.

Can I create a development environment on my Windows machine?

I won’t always have my ETC pedal with me. I guess that a Visual Studio Code editor with the pygame imported is a great start. Is it possible to import a ETC library/API somehow?

Does anybody have experience setting up a development environment in Windows?

Any tips would be of great help.

HC

Yes it is possible.

I am sure I will forget something, because I did it two years ago and did not use it that much.

You have to install python-2.7.7

Then you have to install pygame on the python commandline (several dependencies will be asked for)

Then you have to get ETC_Mother and ETC_Sys from github:

Then you have create folders for the data on the USB drive and the you must enter the paths in the following files: (those path names are examples from my installation!):

etc_system.py:    GRABS_PATH = "D:\\privat\\synths\\critter\\Grabs\\"
etc_system.py:    MODES_PATH = "D:\\privat\\synths\\critter\\Modes\\"
etc_system.py:    SCENES_PATH = "D:\\privat\\synths\\critter\\Scenes.csv"
main.py:    file = open("D:\\privat\\synths\\critter\\MIDI-Channel.txt", "r")
main.py:            if event.key == pygame.K_PERIOD: etc.update_trig_button(0)
osd.py:    font = pygame.font.Font("D:\\privat\\synths\\critter\\root\\ETC_Mother\\font.ttf", 150)
osd.py:    font = pygame.font.Font("D:\\privat\\synths\\critter\\root\\ETC_Mother\\font.ttf", 32)
osd.py:    mode_str = " Memory Used:  "   + str(int(etc.memory_used) + 1) + "% "
osd.py:    font = pygame.font.Font("D:\\privat\\synths\\critter\\root\\ETC_Mother\\font.ttf", 24)

finally you have to start the whole thing from the commandline like:
C:\Python27\python.exe D:\privat\synths\critter\root\ETC_Mother\main.py

There will be a lot of errors on the first tries, because there are features which are not present, so you have to comment them out. For testing you may use this ETC_Mother directory:
http://www.florian-anwander/ETC_Mother.zip
But be aware the files contain also some other changes (especially for control via keyboard).

I hope this helps.

1 Like