ETC on Raspberry PI

Hi, is it possible to port/run ETC on an Raspberry PI?

Cheers
Marcus

1 Like

yes, this would be a similar process to what i did with ETC for Organelle (aka OTC)

basically, you need to just install the relevant python packages via pip - its nor hard to do, Iā€™ve (and a few others) have done it.
(the main thing is to get pygame working, which might even be preinstalled on some distros)

the main thing ā€˜missingā€™ is a UI, as you donā€™t have the hardware controls of the ETC, so your going to have to add some physical controls via gpio, or use a midi controller, or i guess a keyboard - this will then some minor changes to the ETC code to supportā€¦ but again, if your familiar with python not particularly hard to do

(sorry, i donā€™t have time to write it up, and besides the customisation for the UI is a bit different for everyone)

its quite a fun ā€˜diyā€™ project to doā€¦
its never going to be quite the same as an ETC, unless you build a proper case and controls, as the ETC has a dedicated user interface.

i think second best (biased opinion :wink: ) is to get an Organelle, and run OTCā€¦ good interface (if not quite as nice as ETC), and yet you also have the Organelle to do other fun things!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.
Iā€™ll give it a try, and maybe iā€™ll come back with some stupid questions :slight_smile:

The ā€œproblemā€ with the organelle iā€™ve one, but i cannot decide if I use it for Audio or Graphics :grin:

Cheers
Marcus

2 Likes

buy another :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey @Korb Iā€™m interested in this project, let us know about your progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

iā€™ll let you know. my linux foo is not the best and python skills more or less not available. But i like challenges :slight_smile:

Cheers
Marcus

2 Likes

Hey iā€™m trynna build an etc with my own wire and potentiometers with raspberry pi. so is the etc code readily available, not just the modes?

yes

2 Likes

Just 3 years laterā€¦:

I got by happy accident three Raspberry PI 2 given. So I tried the ETC on the RaspPI.
Result: I did not find a way to install pygame for python2 on the Arch Linux for armv7h (no problem on an intel linux). You always run into some missing build scripts in relation to libsdl2.

Then I tried it with python3, which went quite smooth (with the exception, that python-pyalsaaudio is not avallable for armv7h - so I decide, that I simple leave away the audio-part for now).

You have to adopt a few things to python 3: Py3 requires brackets on print, and except. And implicit casting from float to int does not work on Py3. But that is doable.

What was astonishing: the Raspberry PI 2 is significantly slower. The ETC uses an 1GHz processor, while the PI2 has a 0.9Ghz processor. But this does not explain the speed difference. I assume that the graphics handling on the board of the ETC is much better performing.

Conclusion: yes it is doable, but if one wants to do it, I recommend to use a ā€œrealā€ computer with a more powerful graphics adapter.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the min and max Pi this will run on? I have a Pi 3 and a Pi 4. Will the 3 work?

I donā€™t have access to an PI3 (nor a PI4). Anyone else?