HDMI to DVI - image not supported

Just received my first organelle! After playing with a pocket piano I knew I had to get one. Love it so far! I decided to plug it into my monitor and :-1:. It originally started as this

Followed the posts and plugged it up to my tv instead. It popped up and I was able to change the screen dimensions as followed in the post but as soon I popped it back into my monitor it just keeps displaying “Input not supported”

I know it’s not the cable causing the issue because it’s the same cable I used for my desktop. It had a GTX 1050ti and worked fine with the same monitor that I’m trying to use now.

Is there any other fix to this?

Hey :slight_smile:

I tried using a HDMI til vga connector but with same result, it doesnt work. I then after tried connecting Organelle directly to my TV via hdmi and that worked. So I dunno, seems like Organelle dont like adapters. I dunno why that is, actually I use the same adapter for my raspberry pi 3 and for that one it works fine as hdmi>vga adapter.

I’d like to hook up on this thread:
I want to use the ETC on an old LG monitor, which supports only 60HZ repeat rate.
I can see the short Linux boot sequence on the monitor (at least it looks like Linux), but after that the monitor disables the input and reports “unsupported rate of 75Hz”.

The spec on https://www.critterandguitari.com/products/etc says:
"Video Specifications:

HDMI video output
Video Format: 720p, 60 Hz"

So I wonder whats true here.

Is it possible to restrict the video-driver of the embedded OS to 60Hz?

ok, I dont have an ETC, but do have an Organelle and looked at the ETC image for OTC.

non technical summary, its already set to 60hz , this is done in uEnv.txt, Ive not seen any evidence that it tries 75hz.

more tech details, if your that way inclined…

Yes, its Linux (arch linux) , which you can connect to, so can try to reconfigure… if you are familiar with this.
generally the resolution and refresh is set in the uEnv.txt when the ETC/Organelle boots, and for the Etc this is 1280x720 @ 60hz … then what happens for ETC/OTC is that it starts python (with pygame using SDL) , at same res, but no mention of refresh rate.

that said, when I was trying a small LCD panel on the Organelle, I did notice that the booting sequence definitely puts the HDMI into different modes, and also queries the device (monitor/tv) via EDID to set its resolution etc - this seem to cause me all sorts of weird issues, which unfortunately I never got to the bottom of… despite spending many hours playing with it, and all sorts of configuration tricks…
I ended up giving up, and hoping that one day, Id be able to rebuild the kernel, and the video driver code would be better.

Hello technobear

thanks for that.

I’m not a real code writer (may be I’m some low code coder), but I understand the principles of programming. I found the description of the set_mode command (https://www.pygame.org/docs/ref/display.html#pygame.display.set_mode) and it looks like there is no option to set a fixed refresh rate. I found also on stackoverflow some hints that you can set a clock.tick() value.

I’ll have to check this at home (I sit here in the office … the only ETC around is /etc…:wink: )

The rule for these low powered HDMI ports when plugging into a dvi, scart or VGA monitor is to use an adapter with it’s own power source (I.e. an adapter with a USB cable running into it or mains cable) Certainly my experience with organelle. They are cheap if you look on eBay.