Improved sequencer modules for Orac

Oh yes… if you are using an Organelle 1 you will need to install that first:

https://patchstorage.com/pd49update/

Very cool. In my book you’re basically a super hero for making this happen.
Haven’t tested yet, but should get a chance to soon. Thank you so much!

The Clock’s aux for start/stop seems to be working great for Seq, Arp, and Polybeats (I’m assuming these are the ones it’s designed to work with).

The click definitely helps to get the timing right when recording with seq - nice thought to include that! Seems to work seamlessly :slight_smile:

Polybeats however exhibiting unusual behavior: starts as usual with the aux or the first key press, then can be stopped with aux, but upon being restarted again it erases the sequence (so the sequencer starts running but with no notes). Definitely is getting the messages from the clock though.

Yes it is still a little weird… when you start the sequence with aux button (either in clock module or polybeats module) it always loads the saved sequence and starts playing that one. (so if there isn’t a saved sequence I guess it will be blank). So you need to save it… The reason for this is polybeats needs to know the starting position, and it gets this when you save.

Oh snap! Makes sense haha - It works great THANK YOU :)))
Starting from clock aux locks right in with my rytm as long as it’s already running!
edit: demo presets are great - didn’t realize punchy could serve as quantizer :wink:

I’m not an Organelle owner but am considering it at the moment. Is there a maximum sequence length? Also, is it possible to start the sequencer record without playing a note?

There are many different kinds of sequencers for the Organelle. Some are stand alone patches, and some are modules for Orac. For these Orac ones:

Not really… ultimately it depends on the memory in the Organelle, but the sequence files are small text files.

These ones begin recording when a note is played.

Thanks for the reply. That’s annoying that you can’t start sequences on the offbeat!

You can! The sequencers are always recording with the clock, so if you start recording (first note) on the offbeat, it will playback that way.

1 Like

Hi, this is so great. I just have one issue with the clock module: it doesn’t seem to send sync output to my SQ-1 sequencer. The factory clock module does fine…

i found out the same problem with an evolver waiting for the clock… unfortunately there is no output from that module anymore:/

hey Chris, please bring the external clock output back to life or please give me/us a hint where to change that in the module:) no syncing with external gear possible at the moment. thanks in advance!

Looking into this… should have a fix soon

The MIDI clock output should be working now. Make sure that MIDI out is turned on in the clock module.

Also, when you use the global start stop control in the clock module (Aux button) it sends out MIDI start and stop messages. The start message is sent out at the top of the beat so that downstream gear is synchronized with the beat.

2 Likes

cool;) thanks a lot!!

I am curious if anyone else has noticed a slight delay in these sequencer modules? When I use the original polybeats to sequence something it locks in tight as can be with external drum machine (rytm), but when using the sequencer bpm (clock and polybeats) it’s sounds slightly late. Same seems true with the arpeggiator so it may be an issue across all of them?

In case it’s a hint as to what’s wrong, there was a similar issue with the polystep module by @WyrdAl for orac 1 which I reported and was successfully fixed. Thank you :slight_smile: !!!

The original polybeats patch, or Orac module?

I will take a look or listen… perhaps it is 1 MIDI tick (1/24th of beat) behind or something.

1 Like

original polybeats module. also, just wondering, is there plan to add transport?

Transport meaning it responds to MIDI start / stop messages? I updated about 2 weeks ago (see a few postings up) with some MIDI updates, including support for start / stop messages… are you running latest version?

1 Like

Oh, I saw that, it just says it sends start/stop - does it also receive?
Either way I’ll probably wait til the timing is fixed to try it out. Could you please also advise on where the issue was, in case I need to update the bpmArperOctave module? Thanks again for the great work on these.

Edit: just installed to find it does receive transport so that’s good! Seems to fix the sync too - BUT - now it (the bpm sequencer) is starting one beat after transport is sent (from external sequencer). Tried with both polybeats and arp. Possible I’m doing something wrong… idk, glad to test and such if there are any suggestions.