Orac 2.0

Now available on Patchstorage! (links in video)

current version: release 2.0

I’d recommend the ‘new features and overview’ video, as it gives a basic run down of changes,
some of which might not be obvious.
(I’ll do a proper feature list soon :wink: )

remember for ‘remote control’ you will also need MEC and the Osc Clients.

What is Orac?

New features and overview of Orac 2.0

Getting started with Orac 2.0

Orac 2.0 for the Organelle

Orac 2.0 Easter Egg

FAQ

• yes, you can run alongside 1.0, just rename the existing Orac folder
  • you will need to have Pure Data 0.49 installed (see here)
  • Orac 1.0 modules require very minor changes for 2.0, details to follow

** this is the main support/feedback thread for Organelle Orac 2.0**

40 Likes

So excited about that :slight_smile: Thanks a lot @thetechnobear

2 Likes

This is so damn awesome! Thanks!

2 Likes

Fantastic! Thank you for your work @thetechnobear

2 Likes

great work @thetechnobear If you need some help with the video side of things/tutorials I may be able to help you out. I’m crazy busy this side of Easter moving house, but DM me if you want a hand.

1 Like

Can’t wait for this! Thanks for all the hard work! @thetechnobear

1 Like

So exciting. all of this. The modulation stuff is something I wasnt even expecting and its one of the most exciting things to me now.

Further, I knew it would be cross platform, but not such that patches/presets themselves can be shared! I am sure with all the standard ‘vanilla’ orac patches this works, but somewhere down the line this sharing of patches between, say, a PI and organelle, would involve making sure you have the respective externals compiled for each system correct?

Also, if writing some docs and/or wiki is in your plans @thetechnobear (or just something you’d think is a good idea), I would certainly help with just the writing aspect of it! Perhaps a github wiki?

2 Likes

Ok, its up on Patchstorage …

download links are in video descriptions.

the Orac 2.0 video, contains lots of details on the new features etc.
sorry a bit long, but takes time to get thru these things

@miker2049 and @karlsadler
yeah, Id love any help you can give its been quite an undertaking :slight_smile:

fortunately they are all arm based, but yes, for my stuff Ive been compiling optimised for each platform, and packaging them… so that mean firing up a rPI, Organelle, and Bela (Beaglebone), to compile and package - and then test… so yeah its a little time consuming :wink:
esp. if you fix a bug, then have to go and do each again.
(of course, I have tried to optimise the process a bit)

4 Likes

oh, you might find this useful initially…the new module layout

20 Likes

WHOOOOOOAAAA. This is amazing. Looking forward to poking at this over the weekend. Thanks as usual for all the work you’ve put into this.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks so much for this incredible project @thetechnobear .

I really love some of the new features you’ve added! the Modulation LFO is brilliant. I’m very excited that more complex visuals are now possible too!

I think I found some bugs?

Polybeats visual : [Either standalone or with other modules] Erases/resets the visual display once you leave the page and return. The notes still play, but are not shown. entering more notes does not bring the others back.

Hanging notes : If you are on a synth patch, and you have a chord held and switch modules, the note will ring out indefinitely.

More problematic though, is if you have a sequencer —> Synth [ e.g. polybeats ——> basicpoly]
A hanging note will occur if you have the sequence running, and you attempt to change the seq module while a note is sounding. (to test this, bump up the Note Length).

If you stop the sequencer before changing the module, everything works smoothly.
If you change the synth while the sequencer is running, everything works fine, too.

I really appreciate your efforts in realizing the Organlle’s potential, and making it happen. There’s a lot of new stuff I have to wrap my mind around, but I’m looking forward to the journey :slight_smile:

4 Likes

incredible… thanks for your work and intuitions. :slightly_smiling_face: :rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket::rocket:

1 Like

I’m so excited to try this. This is exactly what I wanted for sample storage!!!

2 Likes

@thetechnobear – you’re such a generous person, I fear you must be hiding some dark secrets to balance it out, mate… :wink:

2 Likes

Whilst many of us spend our lives grinding away on ‘important’ work projects, here is technobear with a v2.0 of a brilliant platform, that he invented, that he’s just done for the sheer love of it so people can have fun messing with music.

I’m both grateful and jealous at the same time, thanks TB!

8 Likes

Dumb question and I’m sure it’s been asked of midi-learn many times. How do I unlearn modulation?

1 Like

Woohooo so excited!
Thank you so much for all your work, looking forward to getting lost on it

1 Like

Same as midi, take the modulation value to zero whilst it’s learning

2 Likes

This is great, right off the bat is it just me or does the sound itself actually seem fuller in some modules? Not sure if i am imagining it or if it is a result of the new way stereo is handled. :heart_eyes:

Fantastic work, Mark! Will play with this over the next few days and experiment. So far I only noticed the polybeats visual issues mentioned above.

Going to try throwing some orac 1.0 modules in there and see what happens/how they need alteration.

1 Like

Wow amazing work yet again! So excited about this. Thanks @thetechnobear :sunglasses: !!! I was wondering if it would be easy to implement a cpu usage meter? I am thinking of something similar to the cpu usage box in ableton live. This way I could see if I am close to overloaded the organelle’s cpu.

3 Likes