Installing SuperCollider on the Organelle

Hmm… it seems it has to do with sclang that needs to be executed in the terminal somehow. If i navigate to /bin/sclang using the gui and double-click it i get to choose “Execute” or “Execute in Terminal”. The latter one works but the first doesn’t. Could this be a clue on how to solve this?

Don’t you need to pass sclang a file to interpret? or run it with the -D flag for daemon mode? I’ve never run Super collider headless, so I can’t say, but it seems if you run ‘sclang’ by itself without a terminal it won’t do anything…

also, have you been checking what processes are actually being started by mother by using

ps aux

or ‘top’?

Yes, i’ve tried the script with only sclang, sclang -D and with the full path to the file: sclang -D /usbdrive/Patches/sinePM/main.scd. Also every combination with and without &. And if have that on the sclang line neither jack nor sc will start.

The “manual” start with Execute in Terminal works fine (without &), but just “Execute” or calling the script from mother doesn’t.

If i run the /root/start-sc.sh script directly in the terminal i get an error after jack has been started:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injectorboost::system::system_error >'
what(): assign: Operation not permitted

I’m not sure i understand the difference of writing sclang + hitting enter in my terminal and double-clicking the sclang icon and choosing Execute in Terminal…

I use ps aux to check running processes btw.

Sounds like you are trying all the right things. I think I’ll need to install SC and try things out, since any advice I give is speculative at this point. Can you send the main.scd file for me to test with?

I don’t want to sound stupid, but what’s super collider?

It’s an object oriented programming language made for music and synthesis. It’s great! Check it out here!

1 Like

has anybody else tried this? i’m surprised

my organelle is on the way and this will be the first thing i try to do