Midi set up question

Hello,
I want to have the following setup for live use. I thought this was going to be simple but its not working.
I have a Keith McMillen QuNexus controller and a USB to midi DIN interface connected through an active USB Hub. A Ditto4X looper connected to the midi out of the interface.
My idea was to use the QuNexus to play a synth live on the Organelle and a sequencer playing something else ( using Orac ) then the DItto4X synced to midiclock from the Organelle would let my build layers all in sync.
But i have found two problems.
First the Organelle is not sending midi clock ( i have chequed with a midi monitor in Ableton Live and Logic ) even without using Orac, but it is sending midi note and controller information from the knobs, i can play external synths with the Organelle.
Second i can not use the QuNexus to play the Organelle when the USB interface is selected in the Midi Settings menu. although its there.
What can i do?

Thanks for any help,

Cesar

I don’t think patches send midi clock.
(though Ive not looked at latest version of metro used in recent patches, it may have been added?!)

this would be easy enough to add with a little bit of PD.

(Im reviewing midi in/out options for next version of orac… can definitely think being able to send clock out is useful)

others have it working, so should be fine…
if its shown in the menu, and you have selected/saved it then its most likely
a) wrong midi channel
b) there is another midi port.

to see if it is the later, you need to post the diagnostic log (see other posts about running my diagnostic tool) , particular after you have started a patch.

(of course, someone else who has one might come along in the meantime to help you :wink: )

(Im reviewing midi in/out options for next version of orac… can definitely think being able to send clock out is useful)

Yes please!!

others have it working, so should be fine…
if its shown in the menu, and you have selected/saved it then its most likely
a) wrong midi channel
b) there is another midi port.

I have it working, but when i select it in the midi settings Organelle no longer sends midi to the USB interface output, it seems that its one or the other but not both?
Is there a work around so i can for example input notes to the Organelle with the QuNexus and those notes are also transmitted to an external synth through the USB midi interface?

Thanks,

Misunderstood
Ok, that’s a current limitation off the menu, you can set this manually in the patch_loaded.sh file - think this is covered in my advanced midi post/video - no?

Thanks thetechnobear, will check your video.

Some patches:

• DO send out MIDI clock :wink:
  • NONE sends Start/stop (sometimes needed for “things” to work)
    This is an old list of mine:

C&G
Distributor
Guitar2ARP
Jeraphy
Metronome
MIDI File Player
Polybeats DRG32V
Pow Pow’s Polybeats
BS FX PB (polybeats inside)
HRando Sampler (polybeats inside)
Tune D PB (polybeats inside)

1 Like

cool… you are so organised!
I find it’s difficult to keep track of what each patch is sending/receiving what… esp. with clock as its not in mother.pd (like knobs/keys) but in the particular patch.

do the above patches allow you to switch the clock on/off , or is it always sent (which could be problematic as well!) … hmm, im being lazy, i could check myself :wink:

ahah naaaa, It got me wondering though… but I mention its old…
Some you can switch on/off others are always running;
I was going to update this list, will do to and post :wink:

Hi thanks to your video i now have two midi controllers working with the Organelle. But i have one more question, please.
How can i do the following? I want to have a 2x4+2 Orac patch with a sampler ( on chain 1 )triggering loops lets say on midi channel 1 and being controlled just by the Quneo controller sending on channel 1. And have a Rhodey patch (on chain 2) on channel 2 controlled by a Qunexus sending on channel 2. Is this possible? I have tried setting “In midi Ch.” of each chain to the corresponding midi channel but does not work.

Thanks for your time

Thanks keymanpal, for the list, very useful.

1 Like

how did you set it up?
if you just routed to ‘pure data:0’ (or 127:0) , then it should be there
does it work if you change the channel to 2 on the first track?
do you know for sure its coming in on ch2?
does it work on other patches if you select settings->midi->in channel =2?

(if you set it up as a difference device, then it’ll go to channel 18, but I dont think orac lets you select that, you’d have to alter module/r-2x3+2/module.json and make the max midi in channel 32 or something)

I placed the patch_loaded.sh file inside System folder.
Then i entered the following:

aconnect “QuNexus : 0” “Pure Data : 0”
aconnect "Pure Data : 1 " “QuNexus : 0”

aconnect “QUNEO : 0” "Pure Data : 0
aconnect "Pure Data : 1 " “USB2.0-MIDI : 0”

So now i can control the Organelle with the QuNeo and the QuNexus and send midi clock via the USB to midi interface. That is working.

the QuNexus is sending on midi ch. 2 double checked with a midi monitor on my mac.

When i change midi in ch to 2 or 1 ( on the Organelle midi settings menu )it is still being controlled by te QuNexus sending on ch 2

1 Like

Finally have it working!
What i did was to change “in midi Ch” AND “Out Midi Ch.” to the same midi channel as the controller is sending and now i have each controller controlling different modules in Orac.
Thanks for your help thetechnobear!

1 Like

cool :slight_smile:

a small tip…

you should ‘review’ your Organelle’s midi settings,
I generally do not have a chain using the same midi channel as the default midi in channel for organelle, as it gets confusing (at a minimum, and potentially might cause stuck notes :wink: )

e.g. what I do is

Settings -> midi -> Midi In: Ch. 16 (or Midi in: Disabled)
then in Orac
R-2x4+2 : Chain 1: Midi In 1
R-2x4+2 : Chain 2: Midi In 2

this means my chains are associated logically with midi in ch 1…15
and then I use ch 16 for an active module track…

of course you could have Settings -> midi -> Midi In: Ch. 1, then use ch 2-16 for orac chains if you prefer.

Thanks a lot thetechnobear you have helped me a lot.
Regards.

1 Like