Mutable Instruments Grids on Organelle

I added the MacOS version of the external to the GitHub repository:

(download file grids.pd_darwin)

Ahh nice :slight_smile:

I had downloade one earlier from Git, which didnt include the darwin version.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

@spoitras

Argh sorry, I have added the grids folder to ā€œpathā€, which contains the darwin version. But I canā€™t seem to open it in pd.

I also tried putting it in the patch folder, like this, but this doesnt work either:

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks!

yes, check the date it was compiled, join the github and put in a ticket.
Most likely it was compiled for a previous version if itā€™s not working

Alternatively you can try to put

[declare -lib grids ]

as an object in the patch, it will try to load it and it will tell you what is wrong o the main pd window
if it mentions mach-o in the errors itā€™s for a different system [ 32 bit/64 bit] etc.

Ah yeah there might be some thing there. I use PD 0.47 OSX Yosemite. Not sure how to see the date the grids was compiled.

I also tried declare -lib grids and that didnt work either. I dont get any messages.

Probably the first issue you mention > compiled for a previous version. Organelle runs 0.46, right? And I am thinking it was probably also compiled for 0.46 for OSX.

Maybe Iā€™ll try to compile it tomorrow from the Xcode from Github for PD 0.47. Havent tried compiling anything before, so have to do a bit of research on that first.

And this is why I didnā€™t originally supply a compiled version for MacOSā€¦ just compile your own with the xcode project included in the repository. Change the m_pd.h for whatever version of PD you are using. Good luck!

Could also be an architecture thing (32-bit vs 64-bit).
Or the version of MacOs I compiled on (Sierra).

I use 64 bit version of pd on Yosemite.

Anyway Iā€™ll see if I can find description on how to compile it and give it a go myself.

well think about it It was compiled for Linux/Arm32 so that grids.pd_darwin is a probably a 32 bit external. If you go to the puredata.info there is an i386 version of pd-0.48 for people who are hanging on thinking somehow pd-extended is going to majically return [ITā€™s NOT] but you could test it dowload the pd-48i386 binary and put it in a folder with grids.pd_darwin and see if it runs

No, the compiled external in the GitHub repository was compiled for MacOs
32/64 bit universal.
The compiled external in the Patchstorage organelle distribution is
compiled straight on the Organelle.
Folks should really just compile their own externals on the machine they
want to use it onā€¦

1 Like

Yes, but I havenā€™t tried compiling anything before. I tried using this guide, using Xcode 5.1, but wasnā€™t really able to get it working.

Anyway, Iā€™ll find another Euclidean sequencer for now, this is a bit more than I understand for right now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah i was wondering when we would get to this part. Folks who are feeling queasy about learning pd are not necessarily going to be able to grok Xcode, I am hopeful itā€™s been made easier in the past few IOS updates but my last tango was a few years ago with SC3 and iPad.

I DO think itā€™s bad form to be using OSX to make patches for Organelle though. Itā€™s ONLY created problems for me. 99% of the time i end up with a patch that is too intensive for organelle.

I do want to learn to do these things and I do look around to find out how to and I will find out eventually :slight_smile: But I have many project atm.: learning to write VSTā€™s in Juce, also reading Will Pirkles super excellent book on c++ audio programming. And I am also taking online courses on programming at the moment from edx.org.

Hopefully I will get to the compiling part eventually, when I have learned a little bit more of the basic programming stuff. Iā€™ll just take it a step at a time(or many it seems, hehe) :slight_smile:

I Have a Macbook that I do patching on. And I check the patch once in a while on the Organelle to test how much I can push it, so I donā€™t go overboard on OSX. And also always make sure that the externals I use is available for Organelle. So that isnt much on an issue

Also done a bit of patching directly on the Organelle, but I really like to sit with my macbook in the couch when patching, rather than sitting at the table with display keyboard and all that stuff connected to the organelle. Its more comfy :slight_smile:

Anyway, all the patching is a breeze, I dont find any problems in that, but all this compiling and declaring libraries is the thing that sometimes gets to me.

1. Download repository from gitHub
  2. Double-click on grids.xcodeproj
  3. In the menu bar, clcik Product -> Build for -> Running
  4. Expand Grids and Products in the left-hand navigator
  5. Right click grids.pd_darwin
  6. Select Show in Finder
  7. Copy the file where you need it
  8. Live long and proper
2 Likes

@spoitras

Thanks, I just tried it, but step 3 it goes wrong all ready: I cannot select Running in the Product menu.

grids.xcodeproj is coming up as red color in the left hand menu, which I assume might be the reason I cannot select Running in the Product menu:

I then found another project, to test if it is only the grids project that I have issues with. This project does not come up as red, like the grids project, no errors in this one and I can choose Running in the Product menu:

I also tried this one, but for this one I miss the base SDK:

ā€¦ Anyway thanks for the effort, I have given up for now, I need to understand what I am actually doing, I guess, before I can continue with this ā€¦

@Jaffasplaffa, i suspect your issue is your using a very old copy of Xcode, you mention 5.1, but current release is 9.0 :wink: as for why the external is not loading - unfortunately PD is dreadful, at saying why it wont createā€¦ usually its an unresolved function/missing library dependancyā€¦ this can be checked easy enough, but unfortunately i donā€™t have time.

anyway, Ive taken the liberty of adding the grids code to my Mi4Pd project which will build on windows/mac/arm/linuxā€¦ and does not require Xcode.

@spoitras I hope you donā€™t mind, I have included credits in the readme.md for yourself and Henri.
if you donā€™t want this, let me know and I will remove it.
( in this case, I will port the code myself later today, as I really want grids in my collection, and need it for axoloti anyway )

@Jaffasplaffa , here is the external thats built, see if it works for you (works fine here for me)

if not, you can clone the following repo, and simply type ā€˜makeā€™.
(it will require the Xcode command line tools, which you should have installed, and also PD needs to be installed on your machine in the standard location , then it will find it automatically)

@spoitras, Id recommend pdlibmaker, its pretty good for at allowing simple cross platform builds for users.
(though, i admit, for more ambitious/complex builds Im now using cmake )

EDIT: hang on one sec, theres a small issue, I need to upload a new version :wink:
EDIT2: ok, issue fixed :slight_smile:

Yes I have thought that too. But from what I could read on the web, OSX 10.10, which I use, cannot use Xcode 9, maximum version 7. I had 5 lying around so I thought I would give it a go on that version. Ill DL version 7 and try again, would really be nice to get that compiling figured out, cause I have been in many situations where I could use that. Downloaded many externals that didnt work for my platform and it would be really great simply to be able to compile them myself.

Thank you very much Marc, this one loads in PD on OSX Yosemite.

1 Like

sounds about rightā€¦ as they bump xcodeā€™s version for every macOS release, so actually latest is now Xcode 10, Iā€™m using 9 as Iā€™ve not upgraded to high sierra yet. (will do after the next bug fix release)
the issue with using Xcode projects is, like most software, newer versions of files are (often) not compatible with older versions - this is why I avoid them, (and similarly avoid visual c++ projects on Windows)

also if you plan to do dev with Juce, watch out, it can be a bit sensitive with version of Xcode (well actually its more gcc/clang) , often when I have upgrade Juce/Xcode , I have to sort out little issues.
(youā€™ll probably have no issues when creating the project initially its when you upgrade Juce that I find issues arise, that can sometimes be a bit ā€˜technicalā€™ to resolved ā€¦ usually surrounding its usage of templates)
anyway, thats all a bit off-topicā€¦

Yes sounds like a good choice to avoid them, no need to make it even more complicated than it all ready is :slight_smile:

Ah, good to know this. I dont think Juce is my end goal, but I found some every simple tutorials which actually guide you through each and every step of making a VST and you end up with an actual working VST. So I thought Iā€™d give it a go, since the instructions were so clear.

I know Slate Digital have coded most of their plug ins in Juce, but I read a post from Fabrice, their main coder, that they almost moved everything away form using Juce, probably related to the things you mention. In their Facebook group there are many people who have issues getting them to work on different platforms and they make a lot of ā€œone user fixesā€ where they fix things for that single user. After you mention these things about Juce, I think that might be why they have to do all those ā€œone user fixesā€.

But also reading this book, which is really good, which is more straight c++ code, and also uses RackAFX. I just started a few days ago, but it is really a good book and very easy to understand:

https://www.amazon.com/Designing-Audio-Effect-Plug-Ins-Processing/dp/0240825152

If i were you I go for Juceā€¦ its the probably the most widely used framework and been around for a long time.
the main thing to be aware of, is there are lots ā€˜quirksā€™ with different hosts/platformsā€¦ which is pretty tedious to have to deal withā€¦ and I dont know how well rackAFX deals with these.

saying that, check the license Juce (or rackAFX for that matter) is suitable for your needs, theres no issue if you make open source, but for commercial projects its got a licensing cost. (reasonable or not, depends on your sales!)

anyway, back to grids :slight_smile:

1 Like