New Organelle Available Now!

Thanks for the midi info @thetechnobear i ordered two type A adapters. I am hoping as i shared in a previous post about using a Block controller with Axiome (v3.5) originally for monome but now it’s been updated to work with linux/Block

@shreeswifty Would you mind posting some photos or video of the M?

Ive got an Organelle-M video ‘in the works’

is there something particularly you would like covered? or to see?

same goes for others if you have any questions, or would like to see something in particular…then let me know.

(obviously, no want wants to sit thru a 3 hour video, so I want it short and sweet - so there are some contraints, e.g. im not going to show every patch :wink: )

3 Likes

I would love to see it being used with Orac! Perhaps contrasting what’s possible with the new processor.

But I’d be happy with any video haha

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind a 3 hour video! But honestly just keen to see it in action at this point and to hear people’s thoughts on the new additions like the speaker and microphone.

2 Likes

Yeah. The new features and speed is most interesting.

You can use the speaker and the outputs at the same time right? Could be cool for monitoring in some scenarios.

1 Like
5 Likes

+1 for bringing the new OS features to the Organelle 1!
Just bought the Organelle 1 with SN 00003 from @myecholalia and love it! :wink:

2 Likes

that Organelle would have shipped with OS v1.0, so you might be able to update if it hasn’t been updated already… what does it say under the Info screen? latest OS for Organelle 1 is v3.1

I have been on the fence for a long time about Organelle, in comparison with Zynthian, RaspPi plus Pisound, MOD Duo, etc. The limiting factors are processing power, the audio quality (which has always sounded quite band-limited), the ancient screen, and the limited ergonomics of the toy keyboard.

While the first issue was addressed in the Organelle M, the rest have not. Instead, we get a speaker and battery compartment, both of which bulk up the unit for no reason, given that cheap battery packs, headphones, and speakers already exist. Apparently, this makes the Organelle more of an “instrument” than a “device”… though my electric guitar has no batteries or speakers either.

I guess I am still waiting for the Organelle Pro, with a large fluid screen in a small form factor. No need for the toy keys, since you will want to plug in a controller to the full-size DIN ports or MIDI host socket. No need for batteries, since it would run from standard 5V USB power.

A guy can dream, right?

1 Like

new organelle (m) user, thanks for this.

Looks like this is OS version 3.2 - is there a disk image available in case someone might have gotten things in a weird state and would like to get everything back to factory state :slight_smile:

I just used disk dump to copy it. google dd (disk dump) if you have a mac or linux and you should be able to copy it to a flashable .img file straight away…

All good! It’s already running the latest software which is available today. Thanks for the quick reply.

yeah, if I had made a copy earlier I’d have one … but i might have already made some changes :wink:

You can download the disk image here:

http://thepeacetreaty.org/organellem/images/

You want to download the file 20190619-ogm-v3.2.img.zip

There are general instructions for burning the image in this thread:

1 Like

We weren’t making a sweeping claim that all instruments require batteries/speakers. We were comparing the new Organelle to original. Since it can now be powered and heard without cables/external gear, the new Organelle is a self-contained instrument (and this is “reason” enough for their inclusion!).

Thanks for your feedback!

3 Likes

you said it would be possible to upgrade to raspi 4 if the pinout is compatible. So I have to questions. Does the New Organelle still use a seperate controller board or are all the pots and the display now wired to the raspberry pis pinout?
And if it still uses the controller board, would it be possible to switch an old organelle on to an raspberry board, by connecting the controller board to an Pi and just use the Organelle M software?

please note for the following , im an enthusiastic bystander… not part of C&G, but hope the following is helpful :wink:

the organelle-m uses the CM3 , so the question of if it will work with the CM4 (=rPI4) depends on if the raspberry pi org make the CM4 compatible with the CM4 or not - that is unknown at this point, since they have not released spec of the (possible) CM4 yet.

the organelle-1 was based on the iMX6 from solid run, this is not compatible with the CM3 used by the organelle-m - so the organelle-1 cannot be hardware upgraded in this way.

(however, see my other projects, if you want to know how to upgrade a organelle-1 to a quad core processor :wink: )

but when the same controller board is used it should be possible to use a rsp3 in a organelle 1 if you just use the organelle M image then. if the pots and display are going directly to the rspi instead, this would be harder I think.

yeah, I was vague - as what you mean by the ‘controller board’ is vague :wink:

the controller/main board on the organelle-1 and organelle is not the same, its very different not only to support the CM3 (rather than iMX6) but also the other hardware (speakers etc), also the organelle-1 used a separate microcontroller for the pots/lcd whereas the organelle-m drives these directly from the CM3

so as I said (in simpler terms :wink: ) you cannot simply put a CM3 into an organelle-1, its completely different hardware.

the reason the compatibility is so excellent, is due to the abstractions of Linux and pure data… and the work done on the organelle OS :wink: