Orac needs A LOT of work, fellas

hmm, you may be “fond” of it, but frankly, you seem to have little respect for it.

I created Orac in my spare time, and shared it with the community for free,
not only did I do the development , but Ive also spent a lot of time support it, and generally helping Organelle owners.

so Im sorry, If I don’t meet your expectations, but last time I checked, my time is my own… I decide if, when, and how I spend time on my projects.

but lets be a little more positive shall we…

the only crashes I know are from Brds and I think Lmnts, the former Ive already addressed, and explained a work around … the later I will look at for the next release.

again, this highlights your lack of respect, Ive not just said “its CPU issues”
Ive explained very clearly (on multiple occasions) exactly what the issue is. (again me doing this takes time too!)

it is not crashing, its just unresponsive, because PD is run at real-time priority on the Organelle, so if you overload its DSP graph (adding too many expensive modules) , the OS has no time to handle the lower priority tasks (screen updates, osc messages for controls)
this is NOT really an Orac issue, any PD patch you created that used too much CPU would have the same issue - the reason we see it in Orac, is because I let the user build a patch dynamically!
… with power comes responsibility :wink:

the solution?
Ive also explained on those same threads, that this needs me to do an OS update, which will basically allow a PD process to be killed/interrupted if it overwhelms the machine (I can do little else, since I cannot add more CPU to your organelle!)
Ive proposed ideas on how I might do this, but again, thats another task I have to do, in my spare time.

so yeah… so much for my dismissing issues - its a technical problem, and needs technical solutions which I need to work on!

finally, I have in the background been working on Orac for a new release for quite a while.
but it is just one project, on one platform that I work on in my spare time ,
If I want to spend more of my spare time making music, rather than coding for a while - then I will.
frankly, Im not going to be made to feel guilty by you… because you feel ‘entitled’ to better support.

all that said, I do really appreciate all the fantastic comments, and patience - Ive had from many users of Orac here. It was a lot of work, and it was made worthwhile by the positive feedback Ive received - I also appreciate the suggestions, bug reports etc … these have been useful for what will become the next release.

Im also sorry the next release has taken longer than I expected…
frankly, Im an inquisitive developer and amateur musician, and as anyone who subscribes to my youtube channel will notice - a lot of different things spark my interest, which I wander off to do, and there are only so many hours in the day.

anyway, I do want to get the next release out, partly because its been ‘sitting on my desk’ for so long, its frustrating for me too, to have quite a bit of work thats done, but not released - but I can only release when I’ve done what I ‘need to do’.

39 Likes