Organelle Patch Development Kitchen : OPDK

Hi and welcome to the 1st official research missive from Shreeswifty Labs regarding the Organelle by Critter & Guitari.

I do not need to tell you all about the fabulous work Mark, @thetechnobear is doing regarding the Operating System, visual elements, Supercollider and Storage as well as navigation. I am overjoyed at the developments. It inspired me to investigate some new DSP research as well as reviving some historical research. I like lists, bullet lists mainly. They help me parse information quickly and hopefully share it as quick. So this week and into 2018 i will be rolling out some patches that i am quite attached to :slight_smile: Another thread asked for patch makers to include “readme” files well this is as close as i can usually get.

A.) Gendy – : Iannis Xenakis

http://gerard.paresys.free.fr/Theme/Theme7.html

gendy~ is a C++ library and external for PD and Max/MSP to implement a variant of Dynamic Stochastic Synthesis, a technique developed by Iannis Xenakis.

The basic idea of DSS is to describe a waveform with a set of “breakpoints” and interpolate between them to generate the actual audio signal. The set of breakpoints forms a single cycle of a waveform, and each time one cycle gets played, the breakpoints each move for the next cycle. So each breakpoint ends up on a two-dimensional random walk.

B.) Munger~
munger: A CROSS-PLATFORM SWISS- ARMY KNIFE OF REAL-TIME GRANULAR SYNTHESIS

munger is a new and enhanced version of a powerful Max/MSP real-time granular synthesis external found in the PeRColate library. Apart from added features and optimizations, including ability to generate theoretically unlimited number of grains per second using real-time input

Originally introduced in 1947 as a theory by Dennis Gabor [13], sonified by Iannis Xenakis in 1971 [27], and made real-time by Barry Truax in 1988 [24], granular synthesis is by no means a new technology. Yet, in part due to its inherent versatility, granular synthesis remains a prominent technique in contemporary digital audio vocabulary. Its recent adoption into the mainstream audio software, such as Propellerhead’s introduction of Maelstrom synthesizer in Reason 2.0 [19], certainly attests to this ongoing trend.
Late 1990s have introduced proliferation of portable computing, DSP-oriented programming languages and ensuing popularity of audio-visual environments geared towards interactivity, most notably PD/Gem [20, 12] and Max/MSP/Jitter [10]. As a result, there was a growing need for an integrated real-time granular synthesis object which would offer balance between versatility, and ease of use. Although only a peripheral object of the PeRColate library authored by Dan Trueman and R. Luke DuBios [4, 25, 26], munger~ external to this day remains arguably one of the most powerful granular synthesis objects for the Max/MSP environment. PD community quickly realizing the importance of the PeRColate collection had made agenuine effort towards a native port. As a result, in 2002 Olaf Matthes had generated a near complete Pure-Data conversion. Unfortunately, in this port munger~ failed to operate properly, maxing out the CPU usage in a seemingly random fashion and ultimately producing garbled and therefore unusable audio output. Another unfortunate shortcoming of Matthes’s formidable efforts was the fact that original authors of the PeRColate library had no resources and/or interest in maintaining two concurrentcode bases, in part since their work revolved predominantly around the Max/MSP platform. More so, multiple #ifdefs in Olaf’s code had made the source cumbersome to read and even more difficult to maintain. For these reasons, Matthes’s contributions had fallen by the wayside, leaving PD community without an ability to tap into the vast potential of the munger~ object.

In late 2017 Patrick Pagano ported the code to Arm7/Atom processor for the Organelle community

It does require a small installation of the stk shared object libraries which will be addressed as well

C.) PeRcolate Max/Msp for Organelle

In addition i ported several objects made for MaxMsp [Max7] created by Luke Dubois @ Columbia Computer Music Center. There will be example patches released so users can experiment with this important and now historic set of computer music resources

• gen5~ exponential bpf generator
  • gen7~ linear b.p.f. generator.
  • gen9~ sinusoidal wavetable generator.
  • gen10~ computes a harmonic wavetable.
  • gen17~ solves chebyshev polynomials.
  • gen20~ random function generator.
  • gen24~ breakpoint function generator.
  • gen25~ hamming/hanning function generator.

In addtion to :

• weave~ sub-harmonic oscillator.
  • random~ audio-rate random number generator.
  • jitter~ signal randomizer.
  • escal~ signal rounder.
  • scrub~ delay-line scrubber.
  • chase~ three-way signal comparator.

Unauthorized Pure Data
Previously these objects crashed immediately on ATOM/Arm processors and had to be ported from scratch

• beatify~: modulate amplitude of a sound applied to any sound the results are incredible and interesting
  • cooled: a micro sound editor. Applied to sound samples acts as a random table reader
  • samplebox~: an opaque box to record and playback a sound

and Finally and but certainly not least

D.) BLOOP
MODAL SYNTHESIS for Organelle
Based on Davide Rocchesso’ Sound Design Toolkit
This is an extremely advanced Set of Tools that i have spent a great deal of time preparing for Organelle
****A Special Install of the SDT Library is required.

• bouncing~ generating (irregular) bouncing sonic textures.
  • breaking~ generating breaking sonic textures.
  • bubble~ generating bubbling
  • bouncing~ Generates a stochastic sequence of impacts to form a bouncing sound
  • crumpling~ Generates a stochastic sequence of impacts to form a crushing sound
  • breaking~ Generates a stochastic sequence of impacts to form a breaking sound
  • dcmotor~ Physically informed model for the synthesis of electric motor sounds.
  • demix~ This algorithm looks for vertical and horizontal structures in the spectrogram to separate an arbitrary audio signal into its percussive (transients), harmonic (sustained tones) and residual (noise)
  • envelope~ Amplitude envelope tracker
  • explosion~
  • fluidflow~ Liquid sounds model & INTRODUCING BLOOP SYNTHESIS!!!
  • friction~
  • impact~ Simulates an impact between two solid objects
  • inertial modal
  • motor~
  • myo~ myoelastic pitch detection
  • pitch~
  • pitchshift~
  • reverb~ Artificial reverberator based on Feedback Delay Networks
  • rolling~ Generates a stochastic sequence of impacts to form a rolling sound
  • scraping~ Generates a stochastic sequence of impacts to form a scraping sound
  • spectralfeats~ spectral extractor
  • windcavity~ Wind through cavities
  • windflow~ Wind against solid surfaces
  • windkarman~ Wind across thin objects
  • zerox~ Zero crossing rate detector

And Finally
PLUNK ImPACT
A set** of for Instruments that provide drum link sounds similar to the Intellijel Plonk & Rainmaker eurorack modules All plugins are realized in a modular architecture, where two “resonators” are connected through an “interactor”.The combination of resonators and interactors is reflected in the name of each module: “impact” refers to an interaction force that contains a non-linear term, while “linpact” indicates the more economic, restricted implementation of a linear force term.
The two modules containing “2modal” in the name use two resonators in modal description, in contrast to the simpler “modal” versions, where one resonator is simplified to an inertial mass.

4 Unique PLONK Modules will be available in Drum like patches providing organelle users with the cutting edge of auditory research and MODAL SYNTHESIS

8 Likes

Sounds great! Can’t wait to try the Plunk stuff!

Sounds like a really exciting project Patrick, Munger in particular sounds awesome! Bring on 2018…

and i neglected to mention the suite of SuperCollider patches