OscProxy

Sorry for being impatient, but have you had a chance to look at this yet? :smiley:

sorry no… keep forgetting, Ive been having fun getting monome norns working on a rPI… so that keeps distracting me from the Organelle :wink:

sounds fun! :smiley:

@ghostly606 @paleontologist , sorry for the delay, but new version uploaded with fix

@ghostly606 , yeah, its a bit crazy on my desk at the moment, is strewn with with little computers …loads of little projects all tinkering away. they are all making progress, but as soon as I near completion on one, I have another idea and start a new one.
Ive just got a couple of finishing touches on what Im doing with Norns, then its back to Orac 1.1 …

2 Likes

All sorted!! :smiley: A bit laggy but perfectly usable, you’re a star @thetechnobear!

1 Like

for me its usually pretty good… though I only use for development or for video’ing, not ‘playing’ - in all my videos, is use it as I can capture the mac screen - and I don’t think its notice it in the videos.

however, I know someone else was saying that when they use remote X11 that it was really laggy, but again this is not something I see…

so I think its a networking router or wifi thing… some are getting better performance than others.

interestingly enough, Ive had a couple of times (probably 4 times, in 6+ months), where my network is really slow, and yeah oscproxy and x11 are virtual unusable, but because its so infrequent, Ive just rebooted the mac and network router and this cures it for me.
(ive tried rebooting the organelle, but that makes no difference)

Hi all - first of all thank you all for the all of the info and troubleshooting tips above.
I’ve spent all afternoon trying to get this working on my Mac.
I’ve correctly inserted my Mac’s IP address in the run.sh on the organelle (sdcard/system/oschost/run.sh)
I changed the “organelle” to my IP address “10.0.1.2” in run_macos.sh

When I run it in the terminal and I get the following (pasted below), is “No such file or directory” a problem, or is this normal?

I spent several hours thinking maybe it’s normal, trying to go ahead to no avail.
On the organelle OscHost “opens” no problem
On my Mac, I then open OscProxy in Terminal. open pd, open desktop-mother, and I can open main.pd from Basic Poly on the organelle (using forklift to connect my Mac to the organelle), and THEN on the organelle navigate to Basic Poly and open the patch on the organelle.

Also note, I haven’t yet downloaded the mother externals that @ghostly606 was so kind as to provide a link to - I wasn’t really sure where these were supposed to go.

Any help would be super appreciated (@thetechnobear). I’m very excited to finally be getting my feet wet w pure data and hope to be able to contribute some nice patches/modules in some months time :slight_smile:

Last login: Sun Oct 14 17:13:44 on ttys000

Users-iMac:~ user1$ /Users/user1/Desktop/Organelle/Clients/run_macos.sh ; exit;

/Users/user1/Desktop/Organelle/Clients/run_macos.sh: line 1: ./macos/OscProxy: No such file or directory

logout

Saving session…

…copying shared history…

…saving history…truncating history files…

…completed.

[Process completed]

that looks like you double clicked the run_macos.sh, rather than ran it from the terminal.

in terminal you need to be in /Users/user1/Desktop/Organelle/Clients ,
this should then find the file ./macos/OscProxy

I really need to package this all up a bit better , as its a pain for people to use (*), but at the moment I really don’t have time to do this, too many other things ongoing.

(*) as you can tell from the initial post, I didn’t really expect many to want to use it, so didnt waste too much time on it, and honestly these days with Orac, I use the Push2 to develop the patches/modules, and then only switch to Organelle/OscProxy when doing specific UI things for the Organelle.

Edit: my apologies - I had been doing this wrong, now navigated to the correct directory in terminal I’ve run the “run_macos.sh” (results below) - still getting no interaction in the pd window when I open Basic Poly on the organelle and turn knobs :confused: . Also getting a lot of “voice …couldn’t create” in the log if that’s a clue?

Users-iMac:Clients user1$ sh /Users/user1/Desktop/Organelle/Clients/run_macos.sh

press ctrl-c to end

^CUsers-iMac:Clients user1$

Okay - so, I think some progress, I’ve opened the patch now in pd after copying it to my desktop. No longer getting “voice …couldn’t create” and getting sound by interacting with mother-desktop with mouse :smile:
When I click the button “Hit this after opening a patch…” in mother-desktop window, I get “sig~: no method for ‘bang’” x2, in the pd log - maybe this is a clue :thinking:

sorry, i need more specific details…

if PD is throwing errors, then its most likely that:
a) you dont have the required externals installed
b) you PD externals path is not set correctly.

(voice couldn’t create sounds like this is the case, probably that subpatch has a missing external)

also remember when you load your pd patch (basic poly) you must also load mother.pd in the same instance of pure data. (not another instance), so load mother.pd first, then your patch from the file menu in pd.
you need to ensure that you have no errors in the pd console about missing externals/unable to load x… otherwise its not going to work (and this is nothing to do with OscProxy as such :wink: )

btw: to know if oscproxy is working , look at the mother.pd, if you turn the knobs on the organelle then the sliders should move (iirc :wink: )
if not review this thread for determining whats going wrong.

1 Like

I’ve managed to get rid of the “voice couldn’t create” by downloading the externals from @ghostly606’s link (didn’t realize these were necessary for this to “work” - also unclear on where to find the other externals, or if they are necessary to get this working on a basic level.

Still getting “sig~: no method for ‘bang’" - btw I’m trying both desktop mother and mother.pd (when I use mother.pd I still get “couldn’t create” messages for other things, but NOT “voice couldn’t create”)

I checked the path and placed my mother.pd and the externals in the proper directory

I’ve reviewed thread a ton, and appreciate all the help it’s offered thus far

I’m wondering if now it’s also networking issue (“ping organelle” in terminal yields “cannot resolve organelle: Unknown host”), though I’ve tried using both my home network and the organelle AP method, changing the ip addresses in the two .sh files (run.sh on Organelle, and run_masos.sh) as needed. I’ll paste below what I have in the terminal after running these, just in case that’s a clue. Ty x a million - I’m ready to give up for now, if none of this offers an obvious solution.

Last login: Mon Oct 15 14:24:49 on ttys000

Users-iMac:~ user1$ cd Desktop

Users-iMac:Desktop user1$ cd Organelle

Users-iMac:Organelle user1$ cd OscProxySTUFF

Users-iMac:OscProxySTUFF user1$ cd Clients

Users-iMac:Clients user1$ sh /Users/user1/Desktop/Organelle/OscProxySTUFF/Clients/run_macos.sh

press ctrl-c to end

Last login: Mon Oct 15 14:25:26 on ttys000

Users-iMac:~ user1$ /Users/user1/Desktop/Organelle/OscProxySTUFF/Clients/macos/OscProxy ; exit;

OscProxy listenport proxyhost proxyport

logout

Saving session…

…copying shared history…

…saving history…truncating history files…

…completed.

[Process completed]

Would this be a potential work around to get more processing power to the organelle since the patch is being loaded from a separate PC?

1 Like

That would basically render the organelle a glorified midi controller it seems to me. I think the main advantage of oscproxy is the convenience of not needing an extra monitor, keyboard, mouse - patching and downloading / uploading all on one device. Not that I’ve actually tried it!

1 Like

yeah, pretty much as @Wannop

I mean if your using a PC, then you would not bother using any processing power of the organelle, as you have much more power on your PC

OscProxy was designed to help aid organelle patch development on a PC/Mac, since I find it easier to develop on my Mac, (better monitor, keyboard, mouse etc), but I wanted to see how it was going to work/feel on the Organelle.
(it basically just reduces the amount of development work I have to do on the Organelle itself)

Then of course, once the patch is working, I transfer it to the organelle to use completely standalone - which is how i tend to use my organelle.

that said…

I don’t think we should be dismissive of this …
and in the past Ive considered using Organelle as a midi controller, either for use with a DAW or standalone.

In fact Ive considered creating MIDI organelle patches, where there are pages of CC, or with Orac using it as a sequencer/modulation source.
(the later is something I plan for Orac 1.1 will have more possibilities on ‘out of the box’

whats interesting about this, and links up to what your saying (@dsoupz) is you could go one step further…
imagine using an Organelle, in a similar way to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol A series keyboard or the new Novation SL Mk3

so rather than just a dumb display, the Organelle is a more integrated controller… (albeit the screen is pretty small, but it is on the A series too) - sounds like fun…
(Id say the Novation model is more viable, its a bit easier than Komplete)

that said, its not something I have time to do, but who knows for the future :wink:

returning back to OscProxy for a final word.

as i say it was designed as a development tool for patches that run on the Organelle.
but there is nothing stopping anyone using it as you describe,
e.g. deliberately creating PD patch (or Max/Supercollider/Reaktor, you can use anything that supports OSC) , tha just runs on the PC, but uses the Organelle as part of the control surface, so you might integrate other control surfaces too.

for me, you can never have enough controllers, as I think the weakness of computer based setups is often the lack of a ‘hands on feel’… but perhaps thats just me, and the fact I like to avoid the keyboard/mouse when concentrating on music making.

1 Like

I love the idea of using organelle for midi! I have plans to make a polybeatsCC module, which I posted about it in another thread. I have no issues with organelle serving additionally as a midi sequencer. It can be fantastic for this and I enjoy using it as one. I treat this as a bonus though. It has little to offer in terms of the average physical idea of a ‘controller’ though at the moment - which I’d expect to have velocity sensitive keys and lots of knobs and sliders. What I don’t like the idea of is a shift in the way the organelle is generally regarded towards being a remote control for your computer. I don’t really want a lot of patches to start requiring laptop/desktop integration because that opens up another can of worms in tech queries and strays further and further from the state of everyone working with and designing patches for the same machine.