OTC v1.5 - ETC on Organelle

How I test OTC (and other patches e.g. Orac)

I thought I write a little note about I test OTC, and how I ensure that it should work on your Organelle.
and so perhaps give you ideas, on what to try if some thing is not working.

So, Im lucky enough to have two Organelles, these play two different roles

• a ‘development’ Organelle
  • an ‘as factory release’ Organelle.

( I use both for music making :slight_smile: )

the development Organelle has lots of things installed, and is my quad core super beast… its what I play with ideas with as well, including install extra software - although, generally everything I do on it is compatible with a vanilla Organelle - I never rely on it, so before releasing I always to a test on the vanilla Organelle.

the vanilla Organelle, is just like an Organelle bought today from C&G,
and is for testing patches etc that I release for the Organelle.

to ensure this, I do the following:

• I regularly re-flash the latest OS Image from C&G
    this means it has no other software installed, other than the official C&G release!
    I sometimes add my own patches Ive release, or extra C&G,
    but I never install patches/software other than from C&G and my own.
    (this is just practical, I can’t support all possible combinations of installs from other developers)

• I now use the internal SD card, as its officially support by C&G, but I often test with a USB stick too.
    I never use original C&G supplied white USB stick, it is very unreliable!
    (generally most C&G patches work on the sdcard, and all mine without issue - I consider it a bug in the patch if they do not :wink: )

• I then download the released version of software from patchstorage!
    so I know im testing what you are downloading.

• I usually transfer it via Wifi and the C&G Patch Manager

• I then install via the Organelle OS menu , “Install …”
    (following instructions I have provided, in case there are any special instructions!)

• I then test the patch

specifically for OTC:

• I use an HDMI monitor that I know works and run OTC to test it works correctly

as you can imagine, going thru this process does take me a lot of time, the flashing of the sdcard alone, takes 10-15 minutes… and if something doesnt work, I have to do it all again!

what does this mean for you?

if you follow the same procedure, then our Organelles should be identical from a software perspective,
so any issues theoretically are hardware related.

but this requires you to re-flash the Organelle, which is not usually required,
but if you find OTC is not working, then perhaps something you have installed, as altered its state in an incompatible way.

an interesting addition to this.
I used to test upgrading from Organelle 1.0->2.x->3.x, Ive stopped doing this, as frankly it took hours.
what this means, is potentially there is a difference between an Organelle that has been upgraded from 2.x to 3.x … so if you have gone this route, and have issues Id recommend re-flashing with the latest OS.
(again, generally this is unnecessary , but to rule out issues, this is the only way!)

1 Like