Samplenest

Even if it’s a bit lame to ask about, but is ther som video were the patche is used?

:raised_hands::raised_hands::blush:

You should be able to edit them to look in %tmp/media/samples, the issue may be that some will want specific filenames (ie polybeats uses 24 samples named 1.wav,2.wav…24.wav). You could make a patch that lets you swap out a common set of files with those names though.

Fastpoholmen, sorry I don’t think there is a video for using this patch.

I haven’t downloaded the patch, but I have a question for when I do… is there a limit to how long a sample could be?

thanks gettin bck to me. i know it’s been months but i saw this thred revived a couple days ago and now i have a minute to respond and am here on the site… does it still make sense to do this in the way you mention?
i’m trying to learn how to read thru PD patches well enough to know which part to edit to make it look for the folder… for samplenest that folder is “%tmp/media/samples,” ??

i wonder if this could be done within orac… this is OT maybe i should post there… same idea tho… a way to have a sampler patch read from a patch which records.

In the original version on patchstorage there is no hard limit, you may start noticing artifacts once you go longer than 20-30 seconds.
There is a limit (I think 40 seconds?) in the update I posted here as the loading is done differently.

It is %tmp/media/samples for samplenest. It depends which patch you want to convert, if it only read files with set names it might not work easily.

I made a one voice version of samplenest called sampletwig for orac, it loads samples but doesn’t record: Modules for the Orac

A module for recording shared samples would be useful too, I might work on that I’ve finished a few other modules I’m working on. I think @thetechnobear is planning on adding some kind of native sample support to ORAC later as well.

Also, how do you get a sample into samplenest?..

If you’ve ditched the usb for SD card patch storage I believe the “Media” folder name needs to be lower case.

Do I put the folder in patches, samplenest, or is it a standalone folder?

Create a folder call media along side the patches folder.
Then create a folder called samples inside the media folder.

All lower case.

i did that, and I still don’t see it appearing on the actual organelle itself… it wasn’t in the patches folder, but it was on the organelle usb drive… sorry to annoy you with more questions btw

you won’t see it on the organelle itself - but the samples will be available from within the samplenest patch (i.e. after you load the patch, you’ll now be able to use any sound files that you’ve put into your “samples” folder).

I get it now! I just haven’t loaded any samples yet! Thanks!

2 Likes

Sorry to be annoying, but I have one final question, I promise this is the last question: do the samples have to be a certain type of file or meet a certain requirement to pu them in the folder?

The files need to be wav format. I think any wav file will work, if its longer than 20-30 seconds the sound quality may degrade though.

hello WyrdAl, samplenest is fantastic! i have a question: it is possible to put in media folder not one samples folder but two? like: Media/samples & samples2, samples3 etc? for have more folders in media/ to load not one series of samples but two or more. samples1, samples2 samples 3 etc??? thanx!

1 Like

Hi, unfortunately that wouldn’t be very straightforward. You could try modifying different copies of samplenest to look in different folders (you would need to change the object called ‘symbol /tmp/media/samples/*.wav’ in the file soundshare/soundshare_select.pd).

1 Like

thnx! its working!

Hi! New organelle user here! I LOVE the concept of this sampler but I am still having the same issue where I cannot access my samples in Screen 1.
My first question about the file paths: does the path need to exist solely on the USB drive or can it also exist on the SD card?
Do they have to be on the same drive, or can the /Media/samples path be on the usb while the rest of the patch lives on the SD card?
Does the patch assume that it will live on the usb drive, as opposed to the sd card?

I am also having an issue with recording samples. When I am in the record screen, hit the aux button to begin recording, it seems to start out okay, but then the organelle freezes and starts playing the last frequency it sampled.

I am also running OS 4.0 - do you think that would have anything to do with this? I know this thread is years old but @WyrdAl I was wondering if you had any plans for an update?? (pretty please???)

I don’t have 4.0 installed, but I think it should work.
I think it should be in the same place as the patch, so if its on the sd card the media folder should be there as well.
Make sure the “media” and “samples” folders are both all lower case, that could be an issue as paths on the SD card are case sensitive.