Some Pre Buy Questions

Any ideas for a replacement without the 4 track recorder? I used mostly the synth/sample engine.

Hi @Trunks,

There are a couple ways to solve the ‘too few knobs’ limitation. One is to implement a ‘Page’ system in your patches like @rawticks did with the Juno 104 patch: Juno-104 : A Juno-106 inspired patch for the Organelle By advancing the ‘page’ with the Aux button, you can control specific aspects of the patch. For instance, Page 2 (Yellow LED) controls LFO parameters and Page 6 (Pink LED) controls filter parameters. In this patch the four knobs become 28!
A second way to solve this limitation is to add more knobs via USB. We’ve used an Akai LPD8 with Organelle, but any class compliant USB MIDI controller should work.

RE: Jumping knob values - As @oweno describes in this post: Jumping Values on OLED Display?

Lastly, How are you sending MIDI clock to the Arpeggio Synth patch? It should auto-detect a MIDI clock if you are sending it correctly.

Hi Chris,

thanks for your help!

The idea of the page system is great. I will definitely try the Juno patch but I wish this was implemented in the factory presets.

Is it normal that it takes some time for the values on the display to response to the knob movement?

I haven’t tried to send a MIDI clock to the Organelle but I am happy to hear that it should work!

The time for values to display on knob movement is a result of an override function to allow knobs to work on different pages. It needs to see significant change in value to kick in the use on that page and not affect previous page setting.

This is a user made setting (can’t remember who to give credit to!) that I and other have stolen to create patches we want to use. Someone will probably do something better for this at some point!

Some of the patches you’re downloading are just made by other users, who aren’t necessarily programmers or Pure Data gurus, so they aren’t perfect and will have faults! (That’s my excuse anyway).

Hi @Donnerbono

I just have issues with the response time of the factory presets!

Hi!
It would be great to know if the slow response of the knobs is normal or if my device is broken.
I took the Organelle to rehearsal last night and it was awful. I wanted to adjust some sounds of the Juno patch and others and when I turned a knob it took so long to response that I turned it too far and then had to turn it back and vice versa.
Also I don’t get why so many patches have a tuning knob. To me all of them are useless in a band situation because I don’t want to tune the synth before I can play.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Is the slow response time present on all patches, or the Juno patch in particular? There is a little lag from the display in general, but shouldn’t really be frustratingly slow.

The Juno patch has several pages of knobs, so when you change a page the knob will be ‘locked’ to it’s previous value for that page, and you have to turn it a bit before it updates. This would be the same experience for any synth that has both knobs and a paging or preset system…

Thanks for the input about tuning! I guess that is just a habit leftover from designing older synths like the Pocket Piano. One of the newer synth patches Rhodey has a transpose knob which might be a little more useful.

About the Juno patch… it’s pushing the processor a bit, and I think it slows down the screen response time. It feels a bit slower than the other patches, even my other patch “GlassFM” which also have a couple of pages too, but is easier on the cpu.

Since the knobs are potentiometers, my guess is that there are tiny variations in voltage going through the potentiometers, and whenever that happens, the value of the knob is read and sent to the patch. This doesn’t matter on patches where the knobs are controlling only one function (i.e. single parameter page patches, most patches are made like that) but since I needed to control more than one parameter with the same knob, using multiple parameter pages, it became a problem because for example, if on page 1, the user sets knob 1 to 0% and on page 2 knob 1 is already set to 100%, when switching from page one to page two, a small variation in voltage would update knob 1 position to 0%, so the value would jump there automatically, which would change the patch sound without the input of the user. So the solution I came with (which is not perfectly implemented) was to try to differentiate when a user move a knob and when it’s the tiny voltage fluctuation thats sending data to the patch.

That’s why, in their current state (juno and glassfm), you need to move knobs a bit for them to react when you switch pages. Granted, I think I could try to optimize the code a bit so that you have to move them less before the patch detecst that it is indeed the user that moved the knobs. I didn’t spend that much time developping that function…

Thanks for these details @rawticks. Yeah, pushing the processor past 75% does start to make the screen a little sluggish I’ve noticed, but I haven’t really investigated too much. Generally it is good to keep a little CPU ‘headroom’ in case other tasks require CPU attention (like disk access)…

The solution for knob override is a good one, the same one we use internally to switch automatically from knob control to MIDI CC control (in the mother.pd patch). So yeah, you can tweak the ‘amount’ a user has to turn knob before it releases the lock (I think we used something around .01).

I’m looking to buy a used organelle.
If you are dissapointed do you think that you would be interested in sell it?

Thanks!

Hi,
sorry but I returned my Organelle…
Best Regards

Owen!

I’m very interested in buy an Organelle, some questions:

• @Trunks told me that he sold his Organelle. Is there a way to buy from you a used/returned organelle?
  • I’m from Barcelona, as you’ll be at Sonar, is there a way to buy from you there in Barcelona an Organelle?

Thanks!

Unfortunately we will not have any Organelles for sale at Sonar. We hope to see you at our booth though!