VSTPLUGIN - possible on Organelle?

Is it possible to use vstplugin on Organelle?
that would open a river of possibilities…

20 characters of OH MY

Sadly not. Computer programs have to be compiled (think “baked”) for a specific processor architecture (that project targets x86). Organelle runs on arm. Even if you would manage to compile this project for arm, the vst plugins also need to be compiled for arm (no chance of running your vst library on organelle if you thought of that, sorry)

Still not tried it myself, but I think LADSPA plugins work on organelle. Not the same, but pretty close.
Tell me if you try!

2 Likes

Seems to be possible to compile VST on ARM at least on Percussa SSP

https://www.percussa.com/

Only if the source code is available for said plugin ( so no commercial plugins) , and even then its likely it’ll need adaptation for arm ( often vst will use sse) , and highly likely it’ll need optimizing (neon).
Then let’s remember the cpu on Organelle ( and ssp :wink: ) is a fraction of the power of a modest laptop !

Really the usefulness of the vst api on arm is just that developers are familiar with it, so if I want to target arm, i know the framework.

( AUM would actually be more useful given there are quite a few iOS plugins, and that is a lot closer to Organelles/ssp )

2 Likes

i like sounds of this… would like to be able to use auv3 in orac and organelle/orac modules on ios that would be so nice

Unfortunately it’s not happened yet (and seems unlikely) - the Organelle is a pretty small market to target these things at, and most (not all) plugin development is commercial, its reason iOS has been attractive as it’s got a suitable distribution model.

1 Like

VSTs work with a bridge system in Bitwig as i recall but LADSPA plugins work with some fiddling.
The LV2 format i think was the linux alternative to VST [kinds] but i have not had any luck in getting it to work – i think the dev who created it is busy on Purr data so i have never gotten LV2 file to load

Just came across this VST - surgewhich is running really nicely on my debian workstation.

What would need to be done to get this on my organelle so I could use it as a portable MPE brain? Is it possible?

I don’t think the work that would need to be put in would really be worth it but in theory it is possible. The first step would be building the program from source so it could run in the Organelle/ARM architecture. I would imagine this currently targets Intel CPUs. From there, you will probably need to do a lot of trouble shooting on just getting the standalone version to open. You may possibly be able to get it to run just by downloading the standalone/vst linux version but I’m very skeptical.

Another thing to consider before embarking on this project is looking into MPE compatibility in general on the Organelle and how it’s been implemented. I have not done any looking into it so I can’t comment on how hard it is to get it up and running.

If you do get it to open then you will need to export it as a VST and put it into Pure Data program that utilizes the VSTPLUGIN external. You don’t have to load it into Pure Data and just use the standalone but I can imagine getting audio, MIDI, the screen, knobs, etc would be a major pain.

I have never tested anything with the VSTPLUGIN external too so that may have to be rebuilt as well. Then you will have to re adapt all of the controls to the Organelles 4 knobs, page system, and keyboard to interface with it. At the end of all of it, performance might not even be good enough to justify having it run from the Organelle but if you do put in all of the work, please share it.

If you are not familiar with programming and computers, I can imagine this could be a difficult project but I encourage you to try it out anyways if it’s something you really want to have.

1 Like

I can’t imagine it would be worth getting this to work vs just using a laptop.

3 Likes